• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about making a dipole antenna

KQ9U

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 8, 2010
Indiana
Can I tune it for length about 5-10 feet above ground? I was just wondering if I could do that instead of having to put the antenna up and taking it down several down to obtain the right length.

The tuning will change when you put it up at it's final height. Tuning an antenna, especially a dipole or any other horizontal antenna, 5-10 feet off the ground and then installing it at 30-40 feet or whatever usually results in a lot of :headbang and some :censored:.

The tuning will change when you put it up at it's final height. Tuning an antenna, especially a dipole or any other horizontal antenna, 5-10 feet off the ground and then installing it at 30-40 feet or whatever usually results in a lot of :headbang and some :censored:.

OK. :headbang

I'll just wait until the weather is fairly nice and spend the time necessary to get it right.

Thanks,

John

468 devided by whatever frequency your wanting (468 / 3.940.0) it for is a starting point then trim the ends if need be but an external tuner will work wonders and give more range of coverage.

468 devided by whatever frequency your wanting (468 / 3.940.0) it for is a starting point then trim the ends if need be but an external tuner will work wonders and give more range of coverage.

I have a LDG Z-100 Plus tuner. I was wanting to get my antenna as close to being tuned instead of just relying on the tuner.

Thanks

You can have better luck tuning this and any antenna low off the ground if you do this tuning with something like an MFJ 259B Antenna Analyzer or similar, which only sends out a trace signal. If you tune with your radio, which puts out considerable more power, that's when you will start encountering differences.

Good luck!

My approach

No indication of what you are hanging your dipole from, but trees, poles or whatever the idea is the same to make it easier to work on.

I have a treed lot (Post Oaks) and I can suspend the antenna from three points. I have only shown one end. Each points has two lines. A pulley line and an antenna line. The pulley line is over the tree branch and once in place is not changed. The antenna line is your working line to rise and lower the antenna to work on. Pulley is marine grade intended to rig a small sailing boat.

I hope the description and pictures gives you some ideas and something to work on for when the weather is better.

Mike KE5VYU

OK. :headbang

I'll just wait until the weather is fairly nice and spend the time necessary to get it right.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Pulley.jpg
    Pulley.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 162

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.