• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

question about the FCC's description of a "cb transmitter"

if you really want to find the correct info about the list, contact Ray LaForge or Gary Hendrickson at the FCC Laboratory, 7435 Oakland Mills Road, Columbia, MD 21046, (301) 362-3041 or (301) 362-3043 respectively, or E-mail: rlaforge@fcc.gov and ghendric@fcc.gov .

I didnt read the whole thread so I'm sorry if this was brought up before but I think we need to be able to modify radios, because some transverters need a wider contiguous frequency range for UFV/SHF work, now maybe most commercial transverters use specific ranges such as an amateur band but what about homebrews maybe you found a good deal on surplus OCXOs but for the freq range you want you need an IF in the CB band or you just need a wider range because you dont want to need a switch on your transverter for selecting were in the 23cm band you want to be.

jason9987,
That particular aspect hasn't been brought up to my knowledge. But it really doesn't apply as far as modifying a radio which is to be used in CB service now does it. It may apply in regard to the service in which it'd be used though. If that service can't modify equipment (like CB service can't), then it would mean a new design model, or breaking the rules. Or, as is pretty typical in some instances, an 'Oops!' when making authorized repairs. There are a few other conditions. If it's merely a matter of one transistor being mistakenly replaced with the wrong one, it can usually be 'excused' by changing back to the original one. It that 'Oops!' means there are a number of other components that have to be changed to make it work, it typically means it leaves the 'Oops!' category and falls into the 'Got'cha' category. Sorry 'bout that.
If the service in question doesn't 'allow' modifications, no matter what the reason, then it's a "no-no".
Not a bad try, but no cigar.
- 'Doc

2.2GHz - 10GHz has bands...

Maybe I'm wrong, but my transmitter covers 0.01Hz to 2,200MHz in something like 12 physical bands, for filtering and amplification, but the range from 2,200MHz to 10,000MHz is a single band. These bands do not coincide with anything that the FCC or any other governmental agency has defined.

C-band: The IEEE C band is a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum in the microwave range of frequencies ranging from 4 to 8 GHz.

K-band: The IEEE K band is conventionally divided into three sub-bands:

* Ka band: K-above band, 26.5–40 GHz, mainly used for radar and experimental communications.
* K-band 18-27 GHz
* Ku band: K-under band, 12–18 GHz, mainly used for satellite communications, terrestrial microwave communications, and radar, especially police traffic-speed detectors.

L-band: The IEEE L band (20-cm radar long-band) is a portion of the microwave band of the electromagnetic spectrum ranging roughly from 1 to 2 GHz.[1][2] It is used by some communications satellites, and for some terrestrial Eureka 147 digital audio broadcasting (DAB). The amateur radio service also has an allocation between 1240 and 1300 MHz. The L Band refers to the frequency range of 950 MHz to 1450 MHz. It is the result of the downconversion of the received downlink satellite signals (C or Ku) by the LNB (Low Noise Block converter).

Q-band: The Q band of the microwave part of the electromagnetic spectrum and ranges from 33 to 50 GHz. It sits above, and partly overlaps with, the U.S. IEEE designated Ka band||26.5 to 40 GHz. It sits below the U.S. IEEE designated V band (50–75 GHz) in frequency.

S-band: The S band ranges from 2 to 4 GHz, crossing the (artificial) boundary between UHF and SHF at 3.0 GHz. It is part of the microwave band of the electromagnetic spectrum. The S band is used by weather radar and some communications satellites, especially those used by NASA to communicate with the Space Shuttle and the International Space Station. The 10-cm radar short-band ranges roughly from 1.55 to 5.2 GHz.

V-band (non-UHF): The V band (vee-band) of the electromagnetic spectrum ranges from 40 to 75 GHz. The V band is not heavily used, except for millimeter wave radar research and other kinds of scientific research. It should not be confused with the 600–1000 MHz range of Band-V (band-five) of the UHF frequency range.

W-Band: The W band of the microwave part of the electromagnetic spectrum ranges from 75 to 111 GHz. It sits above the U.S. IEEE designated V band (50–75 GHz) in frequency, yet overlaps the NATO designated M band (60–100 GHz). The W band is used for millimeter wave radar research, military radar targeting and tracking applications, and some non-military applications.

X-band: The X band is part of the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Its frequency range is from 7 to 12.5 GHz. The 10.7-12.5 GHz portion overlaps the Ku band.

---source: Category:Microwave bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...this speaks well above 10GHz, but the references here are utilized by both civilian, governmental, as well as military sources world-wide--including the FCC.

Also, not for nothing...if you really want to see what the frequency spectrum looks like from a regulatory standpoint, see the Dept. of Commerce's graphic, http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

--N0LSD

Last edited:
I still don't believe that there is an official documet that lists "banned" radios. If there was, those not on the list would not be illegal.
quote]

Except when accompanied by the standard disclaimer "May include but not limited to......."

There is no official list, so the disclaimer on on unofficial document is meaningless.

The FCC list is difficult to locate on their website, but it IS there. I will obtain it shortly.
CWM

C W Morse said:
As to the much debated "list", it does exist, but has always been difficult to locate on the FCC's web page. The link provided on QTH.COM is accurate and comes from the Feds. We'll find it.CWM

The whole point of anything I've said is that I don't believe there is an official list of banned radios listed by make/model, chrome color face, or any other means. Especially not because of how they cover a specific frequency range (by bands and channels).

Of course there are certification requirements and a list of "approved" radios is more likely.

You still digging for that OFFICIAL list?

W5LZ:
Yeah, different rules apply to different services just fine, but such a list as this will remove a legitimate use of equipment in a service where it is permitted, just because it gets smeared in another service. I happen to like some of my 23 channel "CB" radios for use on 6-meters and for other purposes. So I've removed them from their intended service, but the law seems to say that I cannot sell such a functioning device.

My argument about bands relates to CW's rant about 6 bands of 40 channels to cover the 10 meter band. The whole definition of bands is artificial anyway, which was my point.

The HR2510/Lincoln or even the HR2600, for example, offers VFO tuning in 100 Hz steps and will scroll from lower freq limit to upper freq limit and wrap around. The fact that it shows band letters and channel numbers (which go from 1 to 45) is inconsequential to me. The radio works flawlessly for 10 meter use and should not be tarnished any more than any of the other big 3's that can just as easily be modified for 11-meter use. Doesn't the 6-meter RCI rig cover 6-meters in a similar sort of way? So why would a 6-meter rig be viewed differently than a 10-meter rig when they are based on the exact same design, just slightly different programming (not counting the RF section).

Lazy, thanks for pinging the thread because...

229, Thank You for the big frequency chart.

Take note that the 70-centimeter band can be claimed as government exclusive whereas the 2-meter band is non-government exclusive.

Back to my 1.7 MHz of silence...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.