• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question for FT-2000 owners

kb6led

Apr 11, 2009
Hello all

A couple weeks ago was in a local HRO and was playing with a Yasue FT-2000 and really liked it but have still have a few questions before purchasing.

1) I have read some people have had problems with blowing the preamp on the front end when using and amplifier. Just curious how common this problem is
2) I also have read reports of the AGC has a popping noise while listening, I did not notice this on the radio I was playing with but there was not a lot of traffic on the band to really test it.
3) When I was playing with a the radio in the store I noticed when in the AM mode the power “according to the internal meter” was going backwards while speaking.
Since I do on occasions talk on 80 meter AM this is a concern. Many years ago I had a Kenwood 940 that did the same thing and did not sound good on AM. So with that being said are there any AM issues with the FT-2000?

I would appreciate any input back in the above questions…

FT-2000(FT-950) review

I have the FT-950AT, which contains the same main CPU and pretty much same RCVR as the 2000(D).

The issue you questioned with the preamp when running an amplifier is due to the 950/2000 amplifier control relay. The linear control jack(port) on the rear of the radio is not coupled to a true relay contact, only a switching transistor. Some op's have used older amplifiers...ie. SB220/200...L4B's etc. from 70's and earlier which can have very high idle voltage across the keying relay(50-150v+) and the spike across that switching transistor in the radio can NOT handle it...and fizz! That voltage spike is like a lighting storm inside the radio...so an interface should be used between radio and amp!

The AGC popping is old software version from couple years ago...new software versions have cured that.

Now as to using the 950/2000 on 75 meter AM????....You first must reset the carrier level to 20 watts or Less...turn OFF the processor/EQ and reduce the ALC level or the CPU will reduce the power to keep from clipping or wasting the finals.

I have owned the FT-950 for almost 2 years now and have operated FT-2000(D) on several ocassions...Great equipment!(y)
I purchased the FT-950 due to the cost difference/ $1000 between it and the FT-2000 and $1500 difference for the 2000D.

Yes I like all three radios and maybe soon I'll upgrade to the FT-2000D but for the money spent the FT-950AT is the Best Buy in HF radios IMO...by far the best HF XCVR for $1200 on the market!(y)
So my 2 cents worth
All the Best
BJ

Thanks for the reply back you have provided some great information. Since I use a foot switch to activate the amplifier there should be no problem there. Glad to hear the AGC was corrected with a firmware update, it may have been an old post I was reading. As far as the AM settings once the processor/EQ is turned off and ALC level turned down is there still enough audio output for normal communications?

On my currant radio TS-950SDX I use a GM heil non-amplified mic and it works great on all modes, I am hoping the FT-2000 is as user friendly.

The FT-2000 is a world more advanced than the 950SDX is...just be ready to RTFM to get the best results. Lots of the FT-2000 settings are far from optimal out of the box, but take the time to set one up and they are a remarkable radio.

The AM advice is spot on. You should really monitor yourself over the air while transmitting into a dummy load too. My TS-2000 runs best at 17W carrier...far better than the 25W that most people drive them to. Each of these rigs has a sweet spot for the best modulation.

I have had the preamps blow out on my FT-2000 and I used it with an Ameritron AL-1500. The AL-1500 is just a couple of years old (not like the old Heathkit amps). Both preamps blew but was ok with them off. This happened within days after I bought so I returned it and received another. This one had a packing slip attached showing the serial numbers of all 10 radios HRO bought and I noticed that both radios serial numbers were listed. The same thing happened and this time worse as the receiver blew as well. The serial numbers began with 7M. I had it repaired then sold it. About 8 months ago I purchased a used FT-2000 and so far it has been good. I guess the original ones I bought were from a bad batch.

I have not noticed any popping sounds but strong signals seem to go from 40db over S9 one second to a complete pin job the next. Something about the S meter.

I just tested the AM on 3.885. Although there was no one listening the power meter on the Palstar AT4K showed 25 watts unmodulated and about 100W modulated. Even with the processor engaged (I forgot to turn it off).

Hope that helps.

I have had the preamps blow out on my FT-2000 and I used it with an Ameritron AL-1500. The AL-1500 is just a couple of years old (not like the old Heathkit amps). Both preamps blew but was ok with them off. This happened within days after I bought so I returned it and received another. This one had a packing slip attached showing the serial numbers of all 10 radios HRO bought and I noticed that both radios serial numbers were listed. The same thing happened and this time worse as the receiver blew as well. The serial numbers began with 7M. I had it repaired then sold it. About 8 months ago I purchased a used FT-2000 and so far it has been good. I guess the original ones I bought were from a bad batch.

I have not noticed any popping sounds but strong signals seem to go from 40db over S9 one second to a complete pin job the next. Something about the S meter.

I just tested the AM on 3.885. Although there was no one listening the power meter on the Palstar AT4K showed 25 watts unmodulated and about 100W modulated. Even with the processor engaged (I forgot to turn it off).

Hope that helps.

I think you maybe be correct on the serial number thing, I have read some other posts on the reflector that Yasue did something different in later model units to help protect the front end to keep that from happening.

I appreciate you taking the time to check to see what your radio does on 75meter AM. I thought about it after I left the store that It may have been the swr protection at work causing the power to swing backwards, I never checked to see what sort of SWR reading the antenna I was plug in to had. I have worked a few people on 80meter SSB that had the FT2000 and it sounded great, next time I talk to someone with one I will ask then to go to the AM mode to see how it sounds there..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.