• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question on FRS versus GMRS....

I've 5 "cheap" Baofeng UV-* HT and a UV-50x2, not so cheep, with supposedly 50W PEP. I listen to the weekly 2M check-in on the UV-50 and that's it. They are all essentially unused, but kept fully charged, and ready for SHTF deployment. I've given reoccurring thought and have read the HAM licensing bible. I'm tired of formalities, yet I'll address you as Sir, young or old, when deserved; not when it's required. The formalities of licensed operating inhibits my moving forward, hell, at times I forget my own fictional 11M call sign.

Reminds me of the time when a doctor, a Major, gets out of his car in a nearby reserved parking spot and walked uncovered, that is without his hat on, towards me standing under a drive through with an overhead cover, at which point neither a hat nor saluting is required. He passes me then backs up, "Sergeant, don't you know your'e suppose to salute". I whipped up a sharp salute and he walks onward, with me following still holding my salute. He begins opening the door and I said, "excuse me major" he turns to looks at me, and I continued, "would you mind helping me down". At which time he responded with a growl on his face and proceeded on. I didn't press it any further. In case you don't get the gist of that, he was suppose to return a salute, before I was to lower mine. Formalities.

Damn 0s; Never knew one who wouldn't salute with a cupped hand nor could they find the outer point of their eyebrow.
Slight Correction - FM doesn't do PEP, they're just straight carrier level. No "swing"

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Okay, I am just now getting back to this. The radio in question is a Maxus 21-1918 (I also own a Baofeng UV-5R, a Yaesu FTM-400XD and an Icom 7300).
I just pulled down a copy of the user manual(2 sheets) and close to the beginning their statement on licensing is as follows..... and I quote....

"The 21-1918 radio operates on the General Mobile Radio
Service (GMRS) frequencies which require a Federal
Communications Commission license to operate. For
licensing information and application forms,visit the
FCC on-line at:www.fcc.gov/wtb/uls or call the FCC
hotline at 1-800-418-3676. If you have any questions you
can contact the FCC direct at 1-888-225-5322."

Depending how one interprets this text, it seems to imply that if I step on one of the 15 shared channels (GMRS) I need to be licensed to use this radio.

I think I am going to go "dig up" the good ol' FCC Part 95 and look at the subparts on FRS & GMRS and see what they say.
The point is somewhat moot as I am not sure that I would be using these things much beyond a family type context. Like... camping... an outing of some kind.... or something we are doing where we are separated.

Still I find it a curious point as I, too, thought that the license requirement was more about "the equipment" than "the channel you are on". As in, low power.... fixed antenna.

By the way, I've had my UV-5R on my spectrum analyzer and I was really surprised at how clean it was. This is one of the older ones (fully unlocked out of the box) and it is NOT the tri-band. But any placewhere I would expect harmonics.... when I look.... if there is anything it is well down in level where it should be. The bit about "wide front end" may be true... but I have fun with it anyway.

The term "type accepted" doesn't appear in current FCC terminology. It's now "certificated", meaning FCC has tested this model from this manufacturer and certifies that it's within the limits of frequency accuracy, power output and such. For off-brand radios, good luck.

"certificated", meaning FCC has tested this model from this manufacturer and certifies that it's within the limits of frequency accuracy, power output and such.
Now the FCC doesn't even actually handle the product anymore.
The manufacturer sends a single sample radio to a test facility of there choice who runs the tests.
The FCC gets the report and rubber stamps it.
We have a place up here that does this called CKC Labs.

Jeff

• Wow
Reactions: nbsr
Note Rule 95.531(c). It says: "FRS units normally communicate with other FRS units but may also be used to communicate with General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) stations."

Conclusion: the FCC is explicitly O.K. with FRS (license-by-rule) and GMRS (licensed units) talking to each other over the shared frequencies.

Last edited:
And since the rule change, the former FRS/GMRS radios are now reclassified as FRS radios. 2W of TX power is OK on channels 1-7 and 15-22. 8-14 are still .5W. The other difference is that you can't do repeater splits on FRS radios, so channels 15-22 are simplex only for FRS.

GMRS brings something different to the party.

It has developed quite a loyal following. The way folks operate on their reminds me a lot of CB in the pre-Convoy days when you'd hear call signs from operators who had paid for their FCC licenses. The FM mode, UHF 462-467 span, authorizing up to 50 watts and extensive use of repeaters really help make for solid local contacts while allowing folks to link nationwide on repeater nets. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more traction here.

GMRS brings something different to the party.

It has developed quite a loyal following. The way folks operate on their reminds me a lot of CB in the pre-Convoy days when you'd hear call signs from operators who had paid for their FCC licenses. The FM mode, UHF 462-467 span, authorizing up to 50 watts and extensive use of repeaters really help make for solid local contacts while allowing folks to link nationwide on repeater nets. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more traction here.
It is curious. I guess GMRS Personal-Use is for guys who just absolutely positively refuse to get even a Technician Ham License for some reason .... and then have free use of all the VHF & UHF Repeaters that are practically everywhere.

A GMRS license permits the license holder's entire family to transmit under one license. We can give radios to all the kids and their friends so we can stay connected to each other. Its a different service for a different purpose. Can't do that with a technician license.

Reactions: Wire Weasel
Nor is there free use to all UHF and VHF repeaters. GMRS utilizes strictly GMRS repeaters with the user typically needing the consent of the repeater owner to use it. Some GMRS repeaters are open. Others are private. Some are free. Some require you to pay to use them.

Different radio services to fill different needs. @Shadetree Mechanic nailed the role GMRS fills in today's radio world.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated