• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question

Slim304

Dec 31, 2019
I run a caterpillar 988g I've got the power coming from the batteries reading 13.9 volts power at the plug I hooked up my connex 3300 non hp model with a 102 in cb antenna swrs are flat on all channels keyed up and quit working hooked up my cobra 25 and president Richard and works fine can't figure out why I can't run any big radios any help would be appreciated

I can't run any big radios
Umm, let me see if I have this picture.

You tried just one 'big' radio and it gave you trouble?

In my experience, that's to be expected. We call it "Galaxy Syndrome". Connex and Galaxy radios roll of the very same production lines. They tend to share similar weaknesses.

From your meter readings, I'd say the failure isn't the fault of where it's installed, it was built into that radio. The, uh, "smaller" radios are frequently just more dependable.

All you can do is trouble shoot. Double check the settings on the radio. Make sure the power cord connection is good (check fuse). Make sure the antenna coax is tight. Try a different mic. If this does not work then it's time to run the radio in another car or base to see if it works there.

My best guess is a setting on the front of the radio got bumped, the mic is bad, or the radio did indeed take a crap at that moment. Let us know what you find.

At this moment in time, I would be leaning towards the so-called Galaxy class syndrome as Nomad so elegantly called it. I have repaired about 10 thousand Galaxy class radios over the last 35 years and can confirm they will quit at any given moment and 99% of the time it's poor-quality control/workmanship whatever you want to call it. Now I'm not trashing Galaxy class, just stating what my experience has been.

Oh, when you say it quit what exactly does that mean? Did it stop turning on? Did it stop receiving? Did it stop transmitting?

Reactions: Dr. Frankenstein

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.