• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Questions with cobra 148gtl finals

rob5 said:
If the 1969 final is no longer produced what is Cobra putting in the new 148GTL
Do you mean, "what is RCI putting in the new Cobra 148GTL?"

Run away from the new Cobra radios! The only good one left is the 25/29.

I know the 148GTL is not what it used to be.I am just wondering what is being put in them if the 2sc1969 is no longer being made.

Librium said:
loosecannon said:
people seem to be pretty cool around here when it comes to posting in the incorrect section, but for the record, a 148gtl, even if modified, is still a type accepted (by the FCC) CB radio.

exports are the ones with dual finals, 10 meter coverage, unlocked clarifiers, etc...
basically any radio that does more than 4 watts and 40 channels without modification.

BTW, just my opinion, but man that avatar is ANNOYING!!!
makes it hard to look at my screen. (no , im not a 'fraidy cat!LOL)
you might think about changing it if you want people to spend time reading your questions.
just my 2 cents, and, as on the radio, you play how you want to play,
take it easy,
loosecannon

WRONG!
Any modification to a legal cb radio voids its type acceptance and
your authority to operate the station.

If any repairs are done they have to comply with the original factory specs.

I know the FCC has more important things to do than go after CB operators unless they are causing big problems with bleedover. Your complaints about CBers and their illegal equipment will probably not be responded to this decade.

rob5 said:
If the 1969 final is no longer produced what is Cobra putting in the new 148GTL

1969s are available. I saw the writing on the wall and bought 50 from RF Parts a while back.

148 mod

loosecannon:

hate to bring up an old topic, but...

have a question on the 1uf cap that gets removed on this mod...is this C174 on the main board?

quote:

"Remove the 1uf in front of the 2N6487, and add a 1000uf from the negative hole on the board where the 1uf was and the positive lead on the 1000uf to the base of the 2N6487 (the lead farthest toward the back of the radio)"

Looking at my Sam's, it seems to me C118, a 1000 uf, feeds the base of the AM reg. anyway. I upped that to a 2200 uf 25V (16V wasn't available) under the advise of the guy that used to run the Grant XL Owner's Club site. Also, it doesn't look like there's much room to put a 1000 uf in the area that C174 was, and then stretch the pos. lead to where the AM reg. wires go into the main board. Oh well, I think I'll leave well enough alone. It works. I did everything else in the mod to the letter...

Thx for the reply... ;)

glad its working.
which particular chassis are you working on?
which SAMS are you looking at also?
if its a cobra 2000gtl, or 148gtl, i show C118 to be a .01uF ceramic disc cap.
25 volt is preferable to 16 volt if it will fit.

i turn TR41 upside down, solder short 16ga. wires to the leads, (use heat shrink tubing!) and run the wires through the hole in the PC board to the traces. just dont get the wires mixed up.LOL

then you can use an axial or a radial leaded cap, putting one lead in the old C174 hole, and the other right to the transistors lead.

thats just my way, i suppose you could also put heat shrink tubing on the new cap's lead and run it through the PC board to the correct trace on TR41.

anyway, if you're happy with it, thats all that matters.
with this mod, i usually run my mic gain at 12 o'clock.
later,
loosecannon

C172 was the one I upped to a 2200 25v...it actually supplies the collector of TR41 and TR42. C18 was the one that was swapped in the mod you posted...got 'em cornfused! ;) I'm using the Sams 251 for a Cobra 2000...

I changed C18 earlier on, it made a big difference...I did the C174 removal / 1000 uf cap to the AM reg mod also, that seemed to give the forward swing a little extra kick...I need to get an axial lead cap, tho...right now, I have the top cover off with a radial lead cap sticking out from the solder side of the board... :LOL:

I like the mic gain closer to about 3 o'clock...but that's just me. Using an Astatic 636L hand mic. No need for a power mic on this thing.

I have the driver bias set at 25 mA, and the final bias set at 50 mA per specs, I suppose that's good enough. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Beats the hell outta a volted final, and the radio is a lot cleaner as far as RFI in the building... ;)

This thread needs to be moved to the "CB Radio" forum...

Oh, I have it completely done, believe me...that and several other things that have been done to the radio...What I need is a 2sc2290 and a heat sink on the back of the chassis... :twisted:

Just cause he (JustinD) stopped working on radios doesn't mean you can't pump a little knowledge out of that brain of his... ;)

I am glad that mod was posted in this thread by loosecannon, tho...I am very greatful...

I need a similar documented mod for the Cobra 29 series (xlr, ltd, gtl) radios...I can wish... :evil: :twisted: :roll: :p
I love these stupid little faces on here...yep...yep...yep...

I have done this mod that loosecannon recommened to an older 148 & a couple of uniden Grants and was very impressed :) Put the variable power on the swr cal spot and get 25 watt am / 30 ssb...nice & clean!!!Awesome mod

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.