• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

R10-00003 Ranger Superstar SS-JA

That is true...

I think this board was destined for something that never came about.

Agreed. They are similar, But different. If they are not EXACTLY the same then we cannot call it a jackson. I agree with that as well. But it is clear that this radio was destined to be something else.

The "The president mystery ranger" seems to foot the bill.

At first, I was thinking that maybe it was an upgraded board for the old Jackson. If so, then it should have address the AGC issue and other quirks, which it clearly doesn't.

Totally different animal.

Yes it is. Maybe it was a design that was canned at the last minuite? Being that it has the same flaws could it be a totally different model that was apposed to come out around the same time?

I don't think we will ever really know. All we do know is that it is vintage.

Here's a thought . . .

If Uniden dumped this Jackson radio design in the early '82 (after all; remember they didn't warranty it); they may have done so because they felt it had too many flaws. They only made it and released just one year. Back when it was made, everyone thought it was just too cool and wanted one. Very high probability that the FCC was in their grille about it too.

OK
So, Ranger gets the idea to copy it and builds it verbatim and tries to sell their copy in '84 - knowing of the radio's demand/sales potential. After all, Uniden just dumped that radio.

Uniden finds out about Ranger's ambition to copy their design and says 'No you can't copy it nor sell that copy; we still own that patent on that radio for x amount of years to come'.
'If you try to sell it; we will sue you for copyright infringement'.

So; they ('Ranger') had already built some and were now forced to let them sit in a warehouse and rot. Mind you; Ranger copied and built from the original design; give or take just a few minute changes. FCC steps in again and says 'oh no you don't' to Ranger as they try to sell them in the US as they did with Uniden - fair to say.

Sooo, after several years goes by and Uniden didn't renew their patent rights on this radio - because it was a big AM flop and they didn't want to waste money renewing that patent - Ranger can now sell this old stock to a distributor and that distributor can now sell them to retailers because there is no standing patent right to be infringed upon. So, Ranger thinks it can get away with no warranty responsibility because they let a 2nd party handle the transactions to the dealers/retailers. So; who is the mystery middleman? That has yet to be made known. The FCC is lax at this point in time and really doesn't care that they sell them any more, just so long as the import duty is collected from them.

Now; that makes sense to me at this point. . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Its more likely that someone fished up one of these.
shippingcontainer.jpg

Opened it up, saw the boards inside and said, "Hey, I bet we can sell these things."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Here's a thought . . .

If Uniden dumped this Jackson radio design in the early '82 (after all; remember they didn't warranty it); they may have done so because they felt it had too many flaws. They only made it and released just one year. Back when it was made, everyone thought it was just too cool and wanted one. Very high probability that the FCC was in their grille about it too.

OK
So, Ranger gets the idea to copy it and builds it verbatim and tries to sell their copy in '84 - knowing of the radio's demand/sales potential. After all, Uniden just dumped that radio.

Uniden finds out about Ranger's ambition to copy their design and says 'No you can't copy it nor sell that copy; we still own that patent on that radio for x amount of years to come'.
'If you try to sell it; we will sue you for copyright infringement'.

So; they ('Ranger') had already built some and were now forced to let them sit in a warehouse and rot. Mind you; Ranger copied and built from the original design; give or take just a few minute changes. FCC steps in again and says 'oh no you don't' to Ranger as they try to sell them in the US as they did with Uniden - fair to say.

Sooo, after several years goes by and Uniden didn't renew their patent rights on this radio - because it was a big AM flop and they didn't want to waste money renewing that patent - Ranger can now sell this old stock to a distributor and that distributor can now sell them to retailers because there is no standing patent right to be infringed upon. So, Ranger thinks it can get away with no warranty responsibility because they let a 2nd party handle the transactions to the dealers/retailers. So; who is the mystery middleman? That has yet to be made known. The FCC is lax at this point in time and really doesn't care that they sell them any more, just so long as the import duty is collected from them.

Now; that makes sense to me at this point. . .

this makes sense and could be. either way if i was going to buy one it really wouldnt be
much different than going to flea bay and bidding on one thats probaly been hacked up
with fake am swing mods lol. be better off to buy from DTB and hopefully at least it wouldnt be hacked up lol

got you

i have and have you ever seen one in person i know it is not part value exactly the same but it is almost an exact replica just trying to help on the original question of the thread maybe you need to read that one again

just read that did not see that one sorry my fault

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.