• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

radiation

ahasverus

Dec 2, 2011
like to read something about the construction, a shield to protect radioamateurs from radiation ( linears etc)
some cage of Faraday thank you
on3bm

Our CKAD 1350 AM site had a faraday screened building. Under the gyproc walls and ceiling was 1/4 heavy screening called hardware cloth. It was even on the cement floor and covered with a thin layer of cement. This was all bonded at the seams and grounded to the station ground system. This was done to protect from lightning mainly but also to minimize RF into numerous audio and utiliyu VHF/UHF systems in the building as well. Three 225 foot towers on a hilltop open field was a lightning magnet. The shielding was so good that a cell phone was useless inside the building with the door closed even though you could see the cell tower a mile away. The door was screened as well.

I used four layers on each wall and two on the floor. For the bottom layer I used expanded metal that is normally used for stucco lattice. Then a layer of galvanized steel screen on top of that. This was done on both sides of the wall. So two walls had four layers, and so did the ceiling. The outer two walls have steel building panels. The outer skin of the building has electrical continuity between each panel. The interior walls are grounded to them as well. The walls have copper pipe where the interior walls join and a short heavy braided brass is connected to 8 foot long ground driven into the soil.
The door is a 4X8 panel of osb on 2x4 frame. Four layers on the door and it is hanging on a 8 ft long piano hinge. Eight brass straps ground the door to the internal ground with layers over the hinge as well. It work pretty good too. When I go inside my cell phone goes dead when I close the door.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.