• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio check ? A thing of the past ????

OK here's the straight dope when it comes to radio checks.

if you have a radio without a meter, or can't see that meter because you are driving, then you might require a radio check every once in a great while.

The problem is that CBers who don't know how to just key up and talk keep asking for radio checks as a way of starting a conversation.

NOTHING makes a CBer feel more duped into talking to someone than responding "it's working" only to have the other operator come back with, "so what kind of radio are you talking on?"

that's conversational assault people!!!
stop doing that!

If you have something to say, then key up your mic and say it.

If you want to know if there is anyone else on the channel, then key up and say "is there anyone on the channel?"

or, like most CBers, you key up and say "awful quiet out there", or "where'd everybody go?"

or maybe this old chestnut, "ahhh, just like i like my channel, nice and quiet." LOL

but NEVER just key up and say "break one nine break one nine, can i get a radio check?" and expect anyone to have anything more to say to you than "it's working driver".

the reason this happens is because you have just alerted the whole channel to the fact that you are probably a very boring person with nothing original to say.

if you did have something original to say, you'd just key your mic and say it.

so, do that instead.
LC

That’s why I include location, sounds good at mile marker 176, hand. What’s your 20?

I distinctly recall feeling duped by what you’ve described above in giving an air check.

Now, they have a choice.

If there’s too much echo, I offer to help; back off the echo about half of what you got and let’s hear it.

It’s easy to brush against or reach across the radio and bump a setting. Or, the mic got dropped AGAIN. Etc.

DSP plus some coax filtration will give you the most sensitive ears on the road that morning. A lot of these ol boys have TERRIBLE audio down to Talkback being REALLY bad for setting radio versus GP.

They can’t hear themselves or others at all well. And KNOW they’ve been misunderstood more than once. Radio settings FIRST.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
OK here's the straight dope when it comes to radio checks.

if you have a radio without a meter, or can't see that meter because you are driving, then you might require a radio check every once in a great while.

The problem is that CBers who don't know how to just key up and talk keep asking for radio checks as a way of starting a conversation.

NOTHING makes a CBer feel more duped into talking to someone than responding "it's working" only to have the other operator come back with, "so what kind of radio are you talking on?"

that's conversational assault people!!!
stop doing that!

If you have something to say, then key up your mic and say it.

If you want to know if there is anyone else on the channel, then key up and say "is there anyone on the channel?"

or, like most CBers, you key up and say "awful quiet out there", or "where'd everybody go?"

or maybe this old chestnut, "ahhh, just like i like my channel, nice and quiet." LOL

but NEVER just key up and say "break one nine break one nine, can i get a radio check?" and expect anyone to have anything more to say to you than "it's working driver".

the reason this happens is because you have just alerted the whole channel to the fact that you are probably a very boring person with nothing original to say.

if you did have something original to say, you'd just key your mic and say it.

so, do that instead.
LC
If I just want to talk, I say "Hey, where's all the big radios at?".

I got all y'all beat.

I used to build Digital Voice Recorders (DVR or Watergate) back in the mid to late 90's. I set up the Record function to tap off of the Squelch, and tapping the audio at the top of the Volume pot. When the Squelch opens up, and if I am pressing the Record button, it starts recording from that point, until they let off of the key, or if I release the Record button. I then hit the playback button, which the DVR automatically keys the radio without needing the Mic. It replays what it just recorded.
Now, sometimes I would catch someone asking for a radio check, and save it, not firing it back until later. I would send out the recording, repeatedly, over and over.

"Break for a radio check" (recorded message)
- Your radio is working.
"Break for a radio check"
- I said your radio was working!

I once recorded one while I was waiting on friends of mine to ride up with me to The Cleveland Zoo, recorded someone asking for a radio check, then drove along a "skinny road" that parallels I-80 The Ohio Turnpike. I had every driver going West wanting to fight me, trying to figure which car or truck, or was it that pickup truck pulling a trailer?? This was in one of my previous Uniden PC122's. I put them in Rangers, and HR2510's too.

I had their panties all bunched up that day.

One day, I was pulling into my driveway, and some god awful noise was bleeding over on my Receive. I found what channel it was coming from, some dufus had his mic to the his dash speaker, playing Elvis music. It was so over buzzdulated, and distorted. I recorded the tail end of what he had just played, he came back to my recording,
Hey, who is that wit hthe dame Elvis music as me?
I recorded that, played it back to him, he was talking to his self, answering his own voice, that he was not smart enough to figure out it was him being recorded and played back to him. Finally, after about 5 minutes of that, he got over the hill almost out of range, and asked his wife, in th ecar behind him if he heard that whole conversation, his wife replied, it sounded like you were talking to yourself.

I got all y'all beat.

I used to build Digital Voice Recorders (DVR or Watergate) back in the mid to late 90's. I set up the Record function to tap off of the Squelch, and tapping the audio at the top of the Volume pot. When the Squelch opens up, and if I am pressing the Record button, it starts recording from that point, until they let off of the key, or if I release the Record button. I then hit the playback button, which the DVR automatically keys the radio without needing the Mic. It replays what it just recorded.
Now, sometimes I would catch someone asking for a radio check, and save it, not firing it back until later. I would send out the recording, repeatedly, over and over.

- Your radio is working.

I once recorded one while I was waiting on friends of mine to ride up with me to The Cleveland Zoo, recorded someone asking for a radio check, then drove along a "skinny road" that parallels I-80 The Ohio Turnpike. I had every driver going West wanting to fight me, trying to figure which car or truck, or was it that pickup truck pulling a trailer?? This was in one of my previous Uniden PC122's.

One day, I was pulling into my driveway, and some god awful noise was bleeding over on my Receive. I found what channel it was coming from, some dufus had his mic to the his dash speaker, playing Elvis music. It was so over buzzdulated, and distorted. I recorded the tail end of what he had just played, he came back to my recording,
I recorded that, played it back to him, he was talking to his self, answering his own voice, that he was not smart enough to figure out it was him being recorded and played back to him. Finally, after about 5 minutes of that, he got over the hill almost out of range, and asked his wife, in th ecar behind him if he heard that whole conversation, his wife replied, it sounded like you were talking to yourself.
:ROFLMAO:

I got all y'all beat.

- Your radio is working.

I once recorded one while I was waiting on friends of mine to ride up with me to The Cleveland Zoo, recorded someone asking for a radio check, then drove along a "skinny road" that parallels I-80 The Ohio Turnpike. I had every driver going West wanting to fight me, trying to figure which car or truck, or was it that pickup truck pulling a trailer?? This was in one of my previous Uniden PC122's. I put them in Rangers, and HR2510's too.

So good the rest of us wish we could have told that story!!

Yeah, I’m whupped

I used to get bad mouthed by one of the not so local chop shop back yard technicians in a town sort of out of my way going from the shop I worked at near Youngstown to where I was staying in Canton. I used to take a little detour, just to mess with this guy. He had one of those Sadelta base desk mics with the double beep, and an extended Roger beep in the radio, and made the claim that "Nobody else has the same beep as me". Challenge accepted.
I made a custom "end firing" recorder, that could be used as a Roger beep, I drove through his town a few times, and caught his Pee-Der-Beeeep in the end fire just right. So, for the next few weeks, I would deliberately drive through his town, keying that end fire, either by itself, or after someone else unkeys, so it would sound like they had his beep too. He heard it, but never caught on.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.