• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Dealer in NC & other rookie ?

KW4HKY

Feb 16, 2010
Would anyone know of a business near Hickory, NC that stocks & sells several brands of HAM radios?

FYI I'm about half way between Charlotte & Asheville and and hour from Winston.

There used to be a part time store on HWY 18 between Lenoir & Morganton, but that was years ago and I have long forgotten the name.

I have to wait till late March to take my test and would really like to have some hands on time before I buy.

I'm going to try to attend 2 different club meetings the first week of March so maybe that will help.

I have done some YouTube scouting & with no knowledge like the Yaesu base sets & the Icom mobiles.

Can the mobiles me mounted on a removable bracket & used indoors & out?

Could anyone tell me where the different radios are made?

Do the Yaesu's offer more functions? They sure look more complicated

I don't mind spending extra for quality, and I plan to go all the way up on the license scale.

Any info would be great

Good luck on your test. You will do fine if you take lots of practice test online and study. In my opinion, a radio from any of the big manufacturers will be fine. You will not have any idea as to what you want til you get some experience, so don't go crazy on the first rig. Do go crazy on the antenna, though, because that is what makes a station, not the radio. A 10,000 dollar radio with a coathanger antenna is worthless, while a 250.00 radio with a well planned dipole will be fantastic.
STUDY STUDY STUDY!

Have fun.
PR

I'm glad you mentioned the antenna. I still have a working rotor on my roof. I never use it, and was wondering if the rotor box could be used to rotate a HAM unit? It's on the top of a 2 story house, and the top on my tv ant. is 35' off the ground.

Really depends what type of rotor and box. HF directional antennas tend to be pretty large, and need a bigger rotator and supporting structure. Is the rotor on a tower?

Again, it all depends on what you have to work with and where you want to work on the bands.

My advice:

Start with a homemade wire dipole and a tuner and work the world. You can work up from there.

JR

geneinnc, where in nc are you , we have a club in mcdowell co in marion that meets the 2nd tue of the month on east court st across from the court house if you are interested the meeting starts at 7 pm

johnny KJ4PPH

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.