• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Died This Morning

kd-5-bgt

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 10, 2007
Joplin Missouri area
My Icom 736 stopped receiving a few of weeks ago and I have not had a chance to dig into it till today and try to figure out what happened

Well I had the chance to do so today.I turned on the radio and the thing was working,receiving signals and all !! I changed bands and POOF!! the 10k ohm blue foul smelling smoke poured from the vents in the top of the radio. The smoke and arcing came from under the built in tuner board in the radio .

I am not equiped, able or have the time to dig any further than what I did today.And at this time placing the radio in the shop is out of the question due to money ( or lack there of )

So untill I can afford to place radio in shop or get another one I am done on HF for a while. :cry:

It was sad to see my first HF rig puke as it did untill this event it has been a great radio.....maybe I will be able to afford to get it worked on someday.....well time to go outside and take down the OFC windom..... :headbang

Yes it has been modded for MARS/11 meters CK .....I personally have never transmitted out of the amateur bands with it though. But I would figure the fact I have never used it our of band might still cause the filter to pop...

Guess it is time to dig out the book and see where the filters are located at.....edit......ok I looked at the book and figured out the smoke/sparks came from under the filter board,the tuner is located behind the speaker against the case on the right hand side

With my luck they are located under the board where I saw the sparks and flame coming from....edit....but still with my luck the damaged item is located under that board

I am just hoping that something else wasnt damaged during the smoke fest

Last edited:
I did manage to find out there is a guy in the local area that works on radios....going to call him tomorrow and see what his bench rate is....hopefully he wont rake me over the coals

Bummer. Take a few pics of the damage and post them. It's always interesting to look at where a rig failed because you never know when someone else might have the same problem and wants to try to fix it themself.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.