• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack Closeout

mechanic

Mar 4, 2009
North coast of the USA.... Da UP!
Radio Shack is closing out two short wave receivers, the Grundig GS450DL and the small 20-629 (Clone of the Sangean ATS505). The Grundig is around 65 dollars so no real bargain there.... but I did buy the 20-629 for 27 dollars after discount plus tax and being on sale! Normal price is $71.97, almost 2/3 savings!
Now for the good parts... The radio is easy to use and very good on reception. On a 60 long wire I tuned in many SSB stations today on both 20 meters and 11 meters, FM sounded good on the telescopic whip. 45 memories and direct tuning plus search and most of the controls are pretty easy to use. The display is fairly big with tuning down to the nearest kHz, no hundreds of a Hz. There is a fine tune knob for clarifying voice or CW, I found most voice was right on frequency! One can toggle between time or frequency display and the display has two soft green back light LEDs. Tuning can be done by direct entry, up and down buttons or rotating knob, the knob has a push switch to tune at 10s of kHz or kHz. Audio is nice with base or treble switch. I think this is a copy of the Grundig ATS-505 but a little less of a quality build. Same size and weight. Only downside is it does not come with a wall wart (power supply) or case.
I think for the money this is a good buy!

73 Rod KB8DNS

Reactions: space cowboy

I was told that not all stores will show this special pricing and not all will add the 20% discount, I guess I am lucky! The visitant manager told me there is about 15 plus receivers available in his district, if you want one I can order one for you and you can order it from my store or I can send it. That would add about 15 dollars to the price, the store may send it for free.

73 Rod KB8DNS

I didn't wait. the price tag in the store said $43, the sign said 25% off the listed price.
$32.25.
I had them do a price check on it...
$32.25.
decided wth, I was there, so I said ring it up.
$23.98.

go figure.
whatever. thanks mechanic.
2014-08-06-193719.jpg

weird. the 6V in plug is different than what I've seen. first one I've seen with the negative on the inside and positive on the outside of the plug.
sure am glad I looked first.

I didn't wait. the price tag in the store said $43, the sign said 25% off the listed price.
$32.25.
I had them do a price check on it...
$32.25.
decided wth, I was there, so I said ring it up.
$23.98.

go figure.
whatever. thanks mechanic.
View attachment 13928

Not all store will offer the discount or percentage off.... a clearance is not at all stores especially a franchise. Your welcome Space Cowboy! 30 day return polocy!

73 mechanic

I've had the Sangean 505 for almost 20 years. It never misses a beat. Really nice radio; don't know how it stacks up against the newer ones, but I'm happy with mine. Think I paid about $45 when it was new.

I ordered some amazonbasic white rechargables. they're supposed to be the same as the enloops, which are now owned by a different company anyway...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.