• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RADIO SHACK "DELUXE" MAGMOUNT

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
I had one of these in the late 80s , it was supposed to be a step up from the Dukes of Hazards style that had a spring on it but same coil. These were good antenna's and matched out a lot better then the springed versions did. My question is this , Does anyone have any idea what kind of power (if any ?) might this antenna be able to handle ? as I said , these were really rather decent for the 40.00 mark up they had on them back then. Right about the same time the Wilson's hit the market , these were pretty much set out to pasture.......along with the mighty K-40s of that time.(Even though they are still made today for them old school cb radio guys) Thanks
im001781zu2.jpg

I have this same antenna . There is no cap inside just a coil and its DC grounded. It works just as well as my Wilson 1000 in my opinon.

Thanks alot gentleman , Your right Seedkey (and welcome to the Forum) I used that antenna until I went with a drill through Wilson , I remember all the radio checks I would get off that antenna and that most folks had been very inpressed with it back then , kind of hard for me to remember details about it but I do know that it TX'ed and RX'ed very well as well as matched out very nicely. Magnets could have been a little stronger and or bigger but they did work well. This one seems a little weak , IM guessing that might be from age ? ..........Here's might be a dumb question ? Can magnets be rejuvanated ????? Thanks again fella's.

Magnets can weaken with "age", but this is a relative term. I wouldn't think that ten or twenty years would do much to weaken any magnet. However, hard bumps can do it, and if you store a permanent magnet near things like power transformers, THAT will demagnetize them in short order.

Magnets can be recharged - that's the good news. Finding some place that's equipped to actually do the recharging - that may be more difficult.

What you need is a source of a LARGE amount of current for a very SHORT amount of time. The Navy calibration lab where I used to work had a homebrew magnet charger for meter movements. It used a large capacitor bank which discharged through a silver-plated, single-turn transformer. You had to take your watch and rings off, keys and coins out of your pockets, dentures out (there were two guys who had to remember to do this!). Then charge the capacitors and release the spring-loaded switch. After the loud bang, you checked the meter and generally found that if it was "slow" before, it was now quite "fast". You'd have to use a demagnetizing probe, like an old TV degaussing coil, to slow the movement down enough so the meter was in spec.

Took a few minutes to do this, but at the cost of a switchboard meter, it was economical to do it - at least in the 1960s.

Thanks for the reply here Beetle , and Happy Holidays to you and yours. Come to think of it ,many years ago at a preveous work 20 , we were assembling magnets into metel cases of some kind (I wasn't doing it personally so I really wasn't up on what was going on at the time ? Now IM kind of sorry I didn't take the time to ask ? , I was assembling and soldering bull plug wiring harnesses at the time) but they would put these magents into a machine they were using ,for what ? I don't know ? anyway , the product had something to do with the helping of water purifaction, the product was sold with 2 magnets in there metel casings and they would be hose clamped to water pipes and would supposedly help to pull out nasty stuff from the water supplies. IM now wondering if those machines they were running were making those magnets more powerful ? Good to here from you Beetle. Peace .........oh ,I do remember those old TV degaussing units , those things were kind of weird how they would help take out color mixture in older TV sets and help to make them back to normal , you would kind of go around in a circle with them and pull out from the TV screen as if you were pulling out what you didn't want to be there anymore. (electro - magnet comes to mind)

That's the kind I mean, Switch...

If you were having color issues with your TV and suspected that the CRT face itself, or one of the steel braces holding it, had become magnetized, you'd get the degaussing coil. You had to turn it on as far away from the set as you could, and gradually move toward the set, moving the coil in circles, and KEEPING THE SWITCH CLOSED FOR GAWD'S SAKE!!! After you had finished, you had to remove the coil from the vicinity of the set, and THEN, AND ONLY THEN open the switch. Reason for that is that these coils had a very high inductive kick that would put out a HUGE but brief electromagnetic pulse which could, and many times did, ruin an otherwise perfectly good picture tube. It was so strong that the tube couldn't be demagnetized.

This is the same kind of pulse that I mentioned in my earlier post: it was INTENDED to magnetize, or increase the magnetic level.

:D HOWEVER IT WORKED BEETLE ! IT'S BEEN TO LONG FOR ME TO REMEMBER ? BUT I DO REMEMBER IT WORKING ,WEATHER I DID IT ASS BACKWARDS OR NOT :oops: PEACE

I wish I had a degaussing coil a few years back when the kids discovered how much fun it was to create new and interesting colours and patterns on the TV screen with some magnets they found. :shock:

On a happier note I got a Hitachi V-212 20 MHz scope for free because the flat center line looked like a smiley face and could not be corrected by adjusting the beam tilt. I took it apart and all was normal.Put it back together and there was the smiley face again. I found that the mu metal shield around the CRT was magnetized. I few waves of the demagnetizer and I had a perfectly good scope even if it is only good for 20Mhz. It makes a GREAT station monitor scope for the TS-820 as well as general testing. :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.