• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack DX-394 & 120' Longwire Shortwave Antenna

Apr 2, 2010
Besides CB radios I also enjoy listening to the shortwave radio. Had a longwire antenna from Radio Shack which was about 70' but it got damaged. The insulators and other hardware all in great condition. Went to Home Depot and bought a spool of 500' stranded bare wire 18 gauge. Well this time I wanted to build a longer antenna and chose a different direction. This 120' longwire is doing its thing. Pulling in stations left from right in the evening. I enjoy listening AM broadcast stations on the KHz spectrum also. The Radio Shack DX-394 General Coverage Communications Receiver has been in my ownership since 1996. It does a good job but as my needs grow I may upgrade to a brand/model more full featured. Below are some pictures of my area. Lots of trees here so I really had to think things out for position, take care...Bulldog

DX-394.jpg

100_8190.jpg

100_8194.jpg

100_8196.jpg

100_8201.jpg

100_8166.jpg

Besides CB radios I also enjoy listening to the shortwave radio. Had a longwire antenna from Radio Shack which was about 70' but it got damaged. The insulators and other hardware all in great condition. Went to Home Depot and bought a spool of 500' stranded bare wire 18 gauge. Well this time I wanted to build a longer antenna and chose a different direction. This 120' longwire is doing its thing. Pulling in stations left from right in the evening. I enjoy listening AM broadcast stations on the KHz spectrum also. The Radio Shack DX-394 General Coverage Communications Receiver has been in my ownership since 1996. It does a good job but as my needs grow I may upgrade to a brand/model more full featured. Below are some pictures of my area. Lots of trees here so I really had to think things out for position, take care...Bulldog

DX-394.jpg

In all honesty due to the declining state of SWL & SW broadcasting I'd say that the radio that you own now will serve you for a long time yet to come.

If it were me I'd spend my money just as you've done.....a better antenna. After all no radio can be any better than the antenna that feeds it signal.

A killer antenna and an old faithful receiver is a good combo to own in my book. (y)

REALISTIC DX-100

Picked one of these radios up for $5.00 still in the box. Had one when i was a kid. Hooked to a DIPO i had around here and it brought back my childhood when i listen to it at night .73s coathanger N.E. P.A.:pop::p

Contrary to what you might think, you have a gold mine in those trees for antenna supports! The only 'trick' is in finding ways to use them. Getting a wire -over- those trees would be the hardest part, but that would result in some very nice antennas for the lower frequencies. (Not bad for the higher ones too.)
Your '394 has controls that would make it very nice for SWL stuff, you don't see those on the newer receivers. The newer radios trend to the VHF/UHF spectrum rather than the HF, unless you are ready to invest a chunk of money. If you can find a radio that you think you might like, I really don't think you should get rid of that '394, I think you'd regret it.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

RADIO SHACK DX-302

Picked one of these radios up for $5.00 still in the box. Had one when i was a kid. Hooked to a DIPO i had around here and it brought back my childhood when i listen to it at night .73s coathanger N.E. P.A.:pop::p
Also picked up a DX-302 it does not pick up as good DX-100 ANY IDEAS:confused::whistle:

Improved RW

http://www.bobsamerica.com/9-1balun.html

Link has some improved designs for RX antennas...add an "L" network tuner(easy home-brew) or single variable cap on the center line of the coax and you'll have a great system to pull in the stations. The link also explains several ways to improve the signal to noise ratio making SWLing even more enjoyable...

RADIOSHACKDX394 : [The Forum for DX-394 Users & Improvers]

Here's the YAHOO group for your RCVR...lots of info/mods etc... you might find helpful...;)
Enjoy
All the Best
BJ

Last edited:
ANT.

Thank you BJ for the info. Will let you know how everything woks out:whistle: 73s coathanger N.E. P.A.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.