• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack HTX-10

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
I wanted to know if this radio is a legal 10 meter rig. I searched the net but do not see it listed on any list of non compliant radios but am I missing anything?

thanks,
AP

The Radio Shack HTX-10 is not even modifiable for out of 10 meter band use so its definately good in some peoples eyes.

its basicly a get on the air

radio.The only real 10 mtr radios are the hr2510,hr2600 Lincon,htx100 and the rci2950 or the 2950dx rci2980 and 2980wx and rci2990 and rci2995...if it isnt all mode,including cw its just a cb...i forgot the vr9000 73 de JW

radio.The only real 10 mtr radios are the hr2510,hr2600 Lincon,htx100 and the rci2950 or the 2950dx rci2980 and 2980wx and rci2990 and rci2995...if it isnt all mode,including cw its just a cb...i forgot the vr9000 73 de JW

The OP asked if it was a LEGAL 10m radio.Contrary to what has been circulated on the internet there are NO illegal 10m radios. A toaster is legal on 10m if you can get it to transmit within the proper spectral purity requirements and bandwidth. BTW many CB's have been modded and are also legal on 10m providing they meet the above requirements. I just wanted to post that for the benefit of the OP and I am guessing your post was just your own personal opinion.

Both the HTX-10 and HTX-100 are well build solid little 10 meter radios and very legal. They were sold by Radio Shack. The HTX-10 was designed so that it can't be modified for use on 11 meters. I ran an HTX- 10 as a mobile for a couple of years.

Just in case someone missed it...

Contrary to what has been circulated on the internet there are NO illegal 10m radios. A toaster is legal on 10m if you can get it to transmit within the proper spectral purity requirements and bandwidth. BTW many CB's have been modded and are also legal on 10m providing they meet the above requirements

In all my years of being a Ham radio Op I have NEVER SEEN a 10 meter radio that is NOT legal.
You can build it yourself out of aluminum foil and tuna cans if you have the skill and it is legal as ice cream.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry if I am confused more now than when I posted this but I was searching the web and I found a list from the FCC of some radios that are not type accepted and it says radios like the 2950,2985,2990,2510,2970,galaxy 99 and so many more that are listed in these posts are not legal to sell or operate.

I have a friend who is a new ham and wants to be black and white on the legality of his radio not in the gray. I am just trying to help him. He seen one of these HTX10 radios new for 125.00 and wanted to be sure.

I told him to search the net also to be informed.

Thank you all for posting,
AP

Sorry if I am confused more now than when I posted this but I was searching the web and I found a list from the FCC of some radios that are not type accepted and it says radios like the 2950,2985,2990,2510,2970,galaxy 99 and so many more that are listed in these posts are not legal to sell or operate.

That list was written by a FCC field agent, it never was part of the rule making process.
After the FCC admitted in court that the listed radios were in fact NOT illegal to own or use by a licensed ham within his/her license privileges it was a done deal.
Sonwatcher, a administrator here on the forum contacted the FCC directly and asked them if a Licensed Ham could use a export radio on the bands he was authorized to use.
The answer was very clear.
Yes you can.
If you search for the post you can find the name of the person he contacted at the FCC , the phone number and the case number that the question was assigned.
There is no grey area.
Ten meter radios do NOT require FCC certification or Type acceptance.
Were the confusion comes into play is when part 95 and part 97 get mixed together.
This is Ham radio, not CB radio.
CB radio`s do need to be type accepted.
Ten meter radio`s do not.
You can search the entire FCC web site and there is NO list of Banned Ten meter radio`s
The point to remember.
This Is Ham Radio, you are allowed to modify radios to work in the Ham radio service, you can even build your own radio to use in the bands you are authorized by your license to use.
I have used HR 2510s, Hr2600`s, President Lincolns`s, RCI 2950`s, and several converted Radio shack and cobra CB radios to work on ten meters since the 90`s and never had a second thought about it.
There is a President Lincoln bolted to the console of my pickup as I type this, behind it is a Texas Star DX 500 Amp and I make contacts on ten meters all the time with it...and it is legal as Ice cream as long as I operate it correctly and with in the confines of my license.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Posted by SonWatcher in the FCC section on 03/16/2007

That is exactly where I was at. I noticed there are a lot of forums I have never heard of discussing this same matter with the same differing opinions. So at the beginning of the week I called the FCC and asked flat out if these radios, that are illegal to market in the US, are ok for licensed amateur operators to use on the amateur bands ? Today on my way home I called home and my wife said I had a message from a Diane from the FCC. She had told me she would get back to me after directing the question to someone in charge of Amateur Licensing. I got home just now and she has stated that an Amateur is allowed to use the Amateur portion of an export radio. So that settles the question for good with me.
If anyone would like to verify the answer you can call Diane at 877-480-3201 option #2. The case# for my question is #776635

Jeff

That HTX-10 for $125 had better be in pristine condition. That price is what I consider to be a premium for a new in the box old stock.

But it's only money I guess.

That HTX-10 for $125 had better be in pristine condition. That price is what I consider to be a premium for a new in the box old stock.

But it's only money I guess.

In the olden days (pre eBay) older, used or no longer in production equipment sold for less money. The younger guys here are probably shocked to hear that I know. That's how I was able to get into ham radio in 1987 with a Heathkit SB-104A station for under $200. That same station on eBay now would run $500 or better. So a NOS HTX-10 on eBay is going to go for $200 or better....makes me want to cry sometimes.

The going price for a sealed NOS HTX 10 was around $85 dollars before the current band opening, wonder how many guys bought them to just hang on to and inflate the price with E-Bay in mind?

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.