• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

radio shack htx10

I have an unconventional "proof of concept" conversion for one of these, I just bought an HTX10 about a month ago on eBay. This does not involve swapping the CPU out, it involves "tricking" the PLL to offset itself 1 or 2 MHz down from displayed frequency. Display will say 28.000-29.699 but it will actually be 27.000-28.699 or 26.000-27.699.

Reactions: Holydvr
I have an unconventional "proof of concept" conversion for one of these, I just bought an HTX10 about a month ago on eBay. This does not involve swapping the CPU out, it involves "tricking" the PLL to offset itself 1 or 2 MHz down from displayed frequency. Display will say 28.000-29.699 but it will actually be 27.000-28.699 or 26.000-27.699.
Want to share what you did? I have one of these and it tunes as a VFO should and quite like it for 10m. The Magnum and other clones do not. I cant stand the way they programmed the CPU in those radios.

Reactions: Holydvr
The PLL in these newer radios can "read" the VCO frequency direct. I came up with a way to "trick" the PLL by offsetting it. This would work on newer CB's, like the 980SSB or Madison, and by making a slight change, the HTX10. Same board, different offsets.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Double Offset Mixers. This fools the PLL to lock somewhere else. Need to break the RF connection from the VCO to the PLL, move the signal up (or down) then move it back, the difference between the first and second mixer is your Offset. For normal operation, both mixers receive the same signal, so Zero Offset.

This does not mess with the display, and does not mess with the frequency step spacing. Also, if you have an Unlocked Clarifier/RIT/Voice Lock, and can go up 3.5kc and down 5kc, this will have no effect on the RIT.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
The PLL in these newer radios can "read" the VCO frequency direct. I came up with a way to "trick" the PLL by offsetting it. This would work on newer CB's, like the 980SSB or Madison, and by making a slight change, the HTX10. Same board, different offsets.
HTX-10 is not the same board, not even close, nor is it new. Proof of nothing.

Reactions: midnight special
Even most " un crackable" radios can be tricked to go out of band with enough work.
Some one has to figure it out, build the board, fix the bugs, and then build them correct.
After a while you get a lot of time invested that you will never recoup selling a hand full of boards.
Jeff

Reactions: SuperLid and Dmans
Even most " un crackable" radios can be tricked to go out of band with enough work.
Some one has to figure it out, build the board, fix the bugs, and then build them correct.
After a while you get a lot of time invested that you will never recoup selling a hand full of boards.
Jeff

Alright, on the 980 give some info here
No info, just smoke and mirrors in someone else's for sale post.

That's what I figured. The new radios are programmed in an ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE. They have checksums that dont let them drift like we used to with hi low switches or crystal swaps. Here I thought hed come up with something new.

Reactions: midnight special
That's what I figured. The new radios are programmed in an ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE. They have checksums that dont let them drift like we used to with hi low switches or crystal swaps. Here I thought hed come up with something new.
From the brief description of what he said he is doing, after several members asking for info, he said basically nothing about his "offset board". If I had to guess, he is using a DDS generator to inject a signal of his choice. in lieu of, and mixed with the 1st IF to drive the synthesizer down one or two MHz. Show me the phase noise result of this scheme, and then we can talk about it. But he is not showing or saying anything.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.