• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shop Supply warranty work .

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Just a quick query, normally how long does it take for having a radio repaired with these folks in Fontana, Cal.? Which are RCI authorized.

Im in no rush to get my radio back, but was at least I was expecting a call back to discuss issues and concerns. Or at least some sort of feedback. Normally to me, no feedback from a tech fixing a radio or a car means or washing machine means big issues and red flags.

I left an A4 ( letter) print out on the return with my concerns to them.

I mean ****** I dont know about you, but when one is investigating or attempting to fix something that is faulty one normally asks questions? These seem to go silent service.. I know for a fact that when I eventually recieve my 2970N4 back from these folks, it will go on ebay. So much for loyalty and customer care.
rant over.

Last edited:

First time I read a bad comment about The Radio Shop

I have many friends in California who only get they gear repaired by the tech at this shop

They even travel more than 300 miles just to get to Ontario

BTW,They honored a repair on an expired warranty on one of my radios many years ago that I even bought brand new in Mexico with the help of a Moderator from a metal forum from KY

My radio took 2 weeks turn around time in the US

My 2 Tacos

My 2 Tacos

tacos
tenor.gif

settle limely you know you are not the only guy to send in a radio that week..

i have been waiting 2 weeks for a reply about parts for my 5054.
the first lot of emails i sent about a service manual got a answer the next day and the manual ....
which i thanks the kind lady for ..the second lot of emails about the parts i wanted (after working out the part numbers from the service manual) have had no reply ...

but i am not crying as i understand they may have to get them from ranger as they are not parts you would normally have in stock as a service agent..
this i understand as i am also a service man and in the business of 10/12m radios on many levels

they may have 50 radios in the queue before yours

lucky you are not wanting a custom amp built i think the 6-12 month wait will kill you buddy

patience-you-must-have-my-young-padawan-marmagennratar-17758009.png

First time I read a bad comment about The Radio Shop

I have many friends in California who only get they gear repaired by the tech at this shop

They even travel more than 300 miles just to get to Ontario

BTW,They honored a repair on an expired warranty on one of my radios many years ago that I even bought brand new in Mexico with the help of a Moderator from a metal forum from KY

My radio took 2 weeks turn around time in the US

My 2 Tacos

It wasnt meant to be bad, since they have not done anything bad to me. I was just under the impression that one would get "pinged" in one shape or another during the repair process.

tacos
tenor.gif

the first lot of emails i sent about a service manual got a answer the next day and the manual ....
which i thanks the kind lady for ..the second lot of emails about the parts i wanted (after working out the part numbers from the service manual) have had no reply ...

but i am not crying as i understand they may have to get them from ranger as they are not parts you would normally have in stock as a service agent..
this i understand as i am also a service man and in the business of 10/12m radios on many levels

lucky you are not wanting a custom amp built i think the 6-12 month wait will kill you buddy

View attachment 21483

Cheers, I definately need to settle down, got a bit carried away admittedly. Sorry,.:oops:

Reactions: tecnicoloco
The Radio shop in Ontario did some good work for me in the past. They were the main authorized repair center for Magnum and one of the few shops I trusted.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Limeybastard what was the repair issue with your 2970N4?

Hopefully it's sorted for you quickly. Aside from that, what are their tunes
like for these types of radios?

I'm thinking of getting one, and am considering a Lescomms tuned,
but the freight from California would be cheaprer and quicker for me.

73's

Limeybastard what was the repair issue with your 2970N4?

Hopefully it's sorted for you quickly. Aside from that, what are their tunes
like for these types of radios?

I'm thinking of getting one, and am considering a Lescomms tuned,
but the freight from California would be cheaprer and quicker for me.

73's

Hi, I didnt get it tuned, it was purchased from Amazon via one of their distributors . So I cannot advise about where to get it tuned as mine was bone stock.

Reactions: 43Echo695
Is it common practice for warranty or repair work to be muted
tacos
tenor.gif

View attachment 21483

Its not so much the wait that is killing me to be honest, I was perhaps expecting some kind of communication ( email or phone ) from a place I sent my radio in for repair. Its called common courtesy. Perhaps I am asking for too much.

Is it common practice for warranty or repair work to be muted

rant on:
Its not so much the wait that is killing me to be honest, I was perhaps expecting some kind of communication ( email or phone ) from a place I sent my radio in for repair. Its called common courtesy. Perhaps I am asking for too much.
not in my shop...you are emailed every step of the way ..before ..when started..when done..tracking
however i dont speak for other shops and yes i would be annoyed too if no communication however some people want your every breath noted .

btw i have not heard back about availability of a new back light EL for my 5054 or about the possibility of purchasing the 100w stage for the 5054 both of which i was more than willing to pay for ... so i guess thats a bust ..

which i am disgusted at ..even a NO would be nice and i would think nothing more of it however i got zero zip..nada reply:mad:
yet asking for the service manual which am told is a pita when it comes to ranger was surprisingly urber fast in both reply and provided with out question

maybe this is why we dont sell ranger ..hmmm hmm hmmmmmmmm :whistle:

not every often i would even go to a "rival company" and ask for service data (i usually find what i need on the net)
however there is about only 5 pages on the 5054 on the net and there was zero service info or a diagram
mine has low power and i wanted to see if the finals that are in it are the ones they come with ..they do ...so the issue is elsewhere ..i have a hunch as to the issue now and i should of gone with my gut feeling from the get go....another poor design choice of rangers that appears in the early 2950 from time to time

as for the EL back light mine died in 20 seconds of turning the radio on ..as mine is second hand from the original owner i suspect thats why he sold the dam thing to me in the first place:whistle: ..the el back light is seemly a common issue with the 5054..not sure if the late 2950 series has the el back light however..i hope not as that would make it super hard to read the display if it crapped out ..may be why ranger has gone to a seemly led display recently
not really a issue in its self but since this wil be used for contesting in dimly lit tents on hill tops during vhf contents i want to be able to read the dam display!

if i had a 2950 for parts i could prob rob the older style lcb block back piece and led setup out of that and fit it tot he 5054 ..however i dont have any scarp ones laying around.

if radio supply is a service agent for ranger..act like one..provide a service even if the answer is no ..i get it you get hundreds of whinging emails a month but just answering in a timely fashion provides willing customers..ranger certainly has gone down hill since the 1990's

i will point out here i doubt this has to do with me being a "rival company" as i emailed them from a non company linked account

/rant off ;)

limey i hope you get yours fixed

not in my shop...you are emailed every step of the way ..before ..when started..when done..tracking
however i dont speak for other shops and yes i would be annoyed too if no communication however some people want your every breath noted .

btw i have not heard back about availability of a new back light EL for my 5054 or about the possibility of purchasing the 100w stage for the 5054 both of which i was more than willing to pay for ... so i guess thats a bust ..

which i am disgusted at ..even a NO would be nice and i would think nothing more of it however i got zero zip..nada reply:mad:
yet asking for the service manual which am told is a pita when it comes to ranger was surprisingly urber fast in both reply and provided with out question

maybe this is why we dont sell ranger ..hmmm hmm hmmmmmmmm :whistle:

not every often i would even go to a "rival company" and ask for service data (i usually find what i need on the net)
however there is about only 5 pages on the 5054 on the net and there was zero service info or a diagram
mine has low power and i wanted to see if the finals that are in it are the ones they come with ..they do ...so the issue is elsewhere ..i have a hunch as to the issue now and i should of gone with my gut feeling from the get go....another poor design choice of rangers that appears in the early 2950 from time to time

as for the EL back light mine died in 20 seconds of turning the radio on ..as mine is second hand from the original owner i suspect thats why he sold the dam thing to me in the first place:whistle: ..the el back light is seemly a common issue with the 5054..not sure if the late 2950 series has the el back light however..i hope not as that would make it super hard to read the display if it crapped out ..may be why ranger has gone to a seemly led display recently
not really a issue in its self but since this wil be used for contesting in dimly lit tents on hill tops during vhf contents i want to be able to read the dam display!

if i had a 2950 for parts i could prob rob the older style lcb block back piece and led setup out of that and fit it tot he 5054 ..however i dont have any scarp ones laying around.

if radio supply is a service agent for ranger..act like one..provide a service even if the answer is no ..i get it you get hundreds of whinging emails a month but just answering in a timely fashion provides willing customers..ranger certainly has gone down hill since the 1990's

i will point out here i doubt this has to do with me being a "rival company" as i emailed them from a non company linked account

/rant off ;)

limey i hope you get yours fixed

From what I've heard you are a well respected member in the radio fraternity. It must be difficult to have a business and keep all of the folks happy all of the time. Especially, when some are just their to how can say it, cheat you. But not all customers are cheaters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.