• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio to listen to foreign stations

John H. Power

Dec 7, 2009
I am not sure where to post this so I will try here. Let me knopw if I need to go to another section. I am not a "radio enthusiast" like many here so I joined the forum to ask you pros a question. My mother was raised in France and loves to listen to French radio stations. However, she is 82 and not internet savvy so the only time she can is when she comes to my house or I capture a station and write it to a CD.

Is there a radio I can buy that will allow her to pick up French stations from here in Florida? Any suggestions or other recommendations?

Thanks.

Good deal here:

Grundig G4000A, Grundig G4000 Portable Shortwave Radio

G4000deal.jpg

Last edited:
with that radio, she would definitely pick up france loud and clear. Kind of overkill for mother's needs, but a Grundig will work very well, and with the AN200 Loop antenna, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know nothing about shortwave radios. Don't even understand the concept. All I know is I can get internet radio stations that include talk shows and music. Is that kind of programming available on shortwave radio stations?

Sorry for my ignorance. I appreciate your help.

I know the other members here are trying to help, but you may want to backup a step or two.

What does she want to listen to?

If she is wanting to hear standard FM programming, shortwave is probably not the answer. Short wave only covers the short wave band. The channels change in daytime vs. nighttime. From my experience the channels drift/fade. I can not pickup anything from inside the apartment. I have not listened for France, but the other foreign broadcasts were nothing like normal FM broadcasts.

I am a computer geek. I did not grow up in the age of radio like your grandmother. She may find the radio very interesting and easier to manipulate.

But for me, I honestly think it would be harder to explain to someone how to tune in shortwave than it would be to setup a computer to pull down music over the internet. The computer is more expensive, and requires maintenance, but it is the route I would go if it was my grandmother.

For $99 it might be worth the investment, but do try the radio out before you give it to her, so you understand how it works in case you have to explain it to her.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.