• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Random radio question of the day.

Cody Dixson

May 3, 2020
I've been searching for my next 11m antenna build. I ran across the qhf antenna they use for noaa weather receiving and im wonder if a person could build one for the 11m frequency. Would it be worth building or will it preform similar to a 1/4 wave vertical. Not exactly sure of the science behind the qhf antenna but they sure look neat! Any info is always appreciated

Thank you and 73
1127 looking for answers

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I agree, the radiation pattern is 'whack', considering what is required on 11M.
Even so, ANY antenna is scalable to ANY other frequency and perform the same as their design frequency. The only limiting factors are the sizes they become at lower freqs. A microwave dish might have 16Dbi gain, but it's dimensions at 11M would make it bigger than one's house. The Arecibo Radio Telescope (before it crashed n burned) might've worked great at 11M --- If the op could point it towards Chicago instead of Andromeda.
NOAH transmits at 162.5 MHz... Plug 27.025 into EZNEC and "Oy!"

Reactions: Cody Dixson

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated