• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Range!!

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
For those who really wanna know about what kind of range you can expect from particular radio/antenna combinations, here's the way to find out.

Radio Mobile WEB Site

The required terrain data is free from the USGS and other sites, just download it. Oh! And the program is -free- too.
- 'Doc

Doc thanks for the link, I will play around with it and see how the results look.

'wavrider' and everyone else...

This program really does work, but there's a 'catch'. It has a 'learning curve' that is almost straight up and down. Be prepared to put a LOT of work into setting it up and using it!
I have/use another program for mapping that also uses those terrain, ground coverage and other data so already had that part taken care of. Depending on the distances you want to play with, that's a huge chunk of data and takes a lot of time to down load the first time. You'd also better have lots of drive space for storage.
The other 'catch' is that your math had better be in very good 'shape'. Almost all of the power related data is expressed in 'dB's, so you'd have to know how to do that type of conversion, both ways.
This program isn't new by any means, it's been around for some time. The author just contributed some time and effort into making the user interface more 'usable'. It's an 'open' program, nothing secret about it. It's also been supplanted by more 'recent', 'easier' programs, so is a sort of 'throw-away' type thingy.
My conscience started to bother me after posting about this thing, and this is the 'warning' I should have included in the original post.
BUT... If you're one of those programming geeks, just like to play with this sort of thing, knock yourselves out! Hope you've got lots of aspirin... ;)
- 'Doc

Thanks for the heads up DOC, I been to busy hanging and mudding sheetrock in the shack to play with any programs.

Yep converting wattage into DB's and then figuring our ERP with antenna gain and coax loss, etc is something I enjoy, that way I know just what I am radiating. If the sheetrock mud ever dries and I can get it sanded and painted that is:whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio