• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger 2980 adjustments

Hello, does anyone have a clue on why this resistor has been jumped in the pic. ?

Attachments

• 20230615_110724.jpg
    20230615_110724.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
I came across this in my 2980 when trying to drop the low power carrier which will not adjust using the low power vr16 (does nothing). The board in this base is ept360014b. I have checked the voltage going to the main board and shows approx 14vdc. I also found a disconnected black wire floating around in behind the rf power control knob..for now i have dropped the am carrier power from 15w down to about 4w using vr13. Now when the rf control knob is fully counterclockwise its at 4w and when rotated fully clockwise is about 7w am dk

I came across this in my 2980 when trying to drop the low power carrier which will not adjust using the low power vr16 (does nothing). The board in this base is ept360014b. I have checked the voltage going to the main board and shows approx 14vdc. I also found a disconnected black wire floating around in behind the rf power control knob..for now i have dropped the am carrier power from 15w down to about 4w using vr13. Now when the rf control knob is fully counterclockwise its at 4w and when rotated fully clockwise is about 7w am dk
I realize this is an older thread but figured i would ask here rather then starting a new 2980 posting. Thx

It appears to be R66, in line with the emitter circuit of TR17, the first antenna-amp stage of the receiver. This jumper should have the effect of boosting the receiver's RF gain, and its tendency to overload on strong signals, both.

When it's aligned properly, this radio is more than sensitive enough without this trick. Could be there is another fault in the radio reducing receiver performance, and someone tried to compensate this way rather than fix the actual problem.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Reactions: jrd426
It appears to be R66, in line with the emitter circuit of TR17, the first antenna-amp stage of the receiver. This jumper should have the effect of boosting the receiver's RF gain, and its tendency to overload on strong signals, both.

When it's aligned properly, this radio is more than sensitive enough without this trick. Could be there is another fault in the radio reducing receiver performance, and someone tried to compensate this way rather than fix the actual problem.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Thanks Nomad. This would explain the crazy gain on the radio and why the rf gain control is needed to be barely turned for all kinds of receive signals.

I used VR 14 and VR18 for low and high carrier.

Thanks Recon. I couldnt locate vr18 on my board and then came across info saying 2980 is same or similar as a DX11B so went with that. https://web.archive.org/web/2016102...s.com/radios/galaxy/dx11b/dx11b_trans_adj.htm
Very confusing trying to find accurate info on 2980. My rci 2980 had board ept360014b.
I am fairly certain my radio doesn't have a vr directly behind the rf power control (maybe this is only on very first 2980s).
I would like to know how many connections there should be on the rf power control as maybe mine has been changed or a wire cut off the rf control potentiometer.
Cheers and thx for your reply.

Thanks Recon. I couldnt locate vr18 on my board and then came across info saying 2980 is same or similar as a DX11B so went with that. https://web.archive.org/web/2016102...s.com/radios/galaxy/dx11b/dx11b_trans_adj.htm
Very confusing trying to find accurate info on 2980. My rci 2980 had board ept360014b.
I am fairly certain my radio doesn't have a vr directly behind the rf power control (maybe this is only on very first 2980s).
I would like to know how many connections there should be on the rf power control as maybe mine has been changed or a wire cut off the rf control potentiometer.

I am fairly certain my radio doesn't have a vr directly behind the rf power control (maybe this is only on very first 2980s).Very confusing trying to find accurate info on 2980. My rci 2980 had board ept360014b.
Don't thank me. I found an old (May 1st, 2015) discussion on Copper Forum. I typed in; "How to set the dead-key on RCI-2980. It worked for me on my 2980".

LO power adjustment for the non WX 2980 is on the switch board in front of the power supply. Should be on the right hand corner of that switch board (board that has the RB, Echo, NB/ANL, etc switches). VR803.

Note:
The low power is also affected by the high power adjustment. So, adjust the high power first, then adjust the low power adjustment. Low power adjustment doesn't affect high power though.

Adjust power adjustment as follows:
Use an external watt meter.
1. Turn RF Power knob all the way up (clockwise).
2. Turn mic gain up to normal use setting.
3. Key radio.
4. Say "auuuuu" in the mic and notice peak swing.
5. Divide that peak swing by 4.
6. Set the high power adjustment to the end result of step 5.

Example: peak swing = 32w
32 ÷ 4 = 8
Set high power adjustment to 8w deadkey.
That's a 4:1 ratio.

7. Turn RF Power knob all the way down (counter clockwise).
8. Adjust LO power adjustment (located on right hand corner of switch board VR803) to 1w.
9. Put cover back on and leave it be.

Best way to set the high power adjustment is by using a volt meter for a reading of 5.45v up to 5.65v. That's how I always do it, but you can use the above steps to do it with no problems.

Hope that helps...

I have a 2980 WX

LO power adjustment for the non WX 2980 is on the switch board in front of the power supply. Should be on the right hand corner of that switch board (board that has the RB, Echo, NB/ANL, etc switches). VR803.

Note:
The low power is also affected by the high power adjustment. So, adjust the high power first, then adjust the low power adjustment. Low power adjustment doesn't affect high power though.

3. Key radio.

32 ÷ 4 = 8

8. Adjust LO power adjustment (located on right hand corner of switch board VR803) to 1w.

Best way to set the high power adjustment is by using a volt meter for a reading of 5.45v up to 5.65v. That's how I always do it, but you can use the above steps to do it with no problems.

Hope that helps...

Note:

3. Key radio.

32 ÷ 4 = 8

Hope that helps...
That helps allot Hawkeye with mine being plain 2980. Any idea what vr16 is used for on this board ?

Reactions: Hawkeye351
VR16 should be the adjustment for CW Tone.

This may help those that have the non WX version of the 2980.

VR803 is the low power adjustment. It's not listed on the following link, but all the others you need to be concerned with are listed.

Also, the alignment procedure is included in the link provided.

Moderators, if this link is not allowed then please remove.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Just an update. Vr803 did what i needed for low am carrier with rf control knob all the way to the left. I set it at 2w. I set vr13 with rf control all the way clockwise to 10w. The ssb alc was jacked so lowered that to about 21w ssb. Lots of audio not touching anything and forward mod. I think leaving it like this will help the ol black box live longer and I can use a small amp with it if needed. I appreciate all the input. Enjoy the weekend

Reactions: Hawkeye351

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.