• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger ar-3500 - memory battery removal prob

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hello guys, I picked up a ar-3500 100w radio and before trying it I decided to open the radio and look for any obvious problems or loose bits possibly in the radio. I noticed someone in the past had installed 4 x small nicad batteries inside connected to some wiring. The batteries are corroded bad and I planned on removing this battery mod from the radio. Some of the wiring came off the batteries due to them not being secured properly and the weight of them with the cover off broke off the red wire with a resistor and diode attached to the end that came undone from somewhere. There is also a orange wire that was connected to this battery mess that goes to the rear of the front panel where the squelch and clarifier are. The radio did power on fine before this battery mess fell out of the radio disconnecting things. I no longer have power to the radio and after removing the battery mess I am left with an orange wire that I dont know where should connect. I think this is why the radio no longer powers up. Can someone help ??
Thanks Jeff

I don’t have an answer for your question but I’ve always wanted one myself, I’ve heard they were great radios with great receivers.

Maybe someone will chime in and verify or deny that. Maybe when you get yours going you can let us know what you think of it.

Hello guys, I picked up a ar-3500 100w radio and before trying it I decided to open the radio and look for any obvious problems or loose bits possibly in the radio. I noticed someone in the past had installed 4 x small nicad batteries inside connected to some wiring. The batteries are corroded bad and I planned on removing this battery mod from the radio. Some of the wiring came off the batteries due to them not being secured properly and the weight of them with the cover off broke off the red wire with a resistor and diode attached to the end that came undone from somewhere. There is also a orange wire that was connected to this battery mess that goes to the rear of the front panel where the squelch and clarifier are. The radio did power on fine before this battery mess fell out of the radio disconnecting things. I no longer have power to the radio and after removing the battery mess I am left with an orange wire that I dont know where should connect. I think this is why the radio no longer powers up. Can someone help ??
Thanks Jeff

I seem to remember that there were two different memory-battery backup mods for that radio back in the day.

They involve cutting the power feed to the radio's CPU, to insert the battery-power source and charging circuit.

Would explain the dead radio, if that setup came apart.

Haven't seen that data in years. The setup instructions might serve as a guide for putting it back together.

Might not.

I'll see what I can turn up.

Thanks Normad for the message. I sent this old radio to a tech that repaired it for me. Turns out the main issue with the radio having no power was a burnt trace that needed to be repaired. Why the burnt trace raises another question i suppose but so far so good.
73's and best,
J

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.