• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RCI-2995DX Coax Connector Type

UFO411

Sep 19, 2021
Aiken, SC
Okay, if you saw my other threads recently you’ll see my antenna was “getting wet” or some other problem. So after taking the antenna down several times and replacing coax, I FINALLY found the REAL problem. The flanged bulkhead SO-239 connector on the radio is broken. I pulled it apart today, after identifying the problem by accident, and fount that this connector is normal SO-239 externally but internally, it has a “funnel” shaped piece with a matching flange as well. Internally there is a small “coax” jumper that pushes into the backside of this connector.

That said, would anyone here have ANY idea what the proper name for this type of connector would be? I have looked all over the interwebs and cannot find anything like it. Hoping one of the wonderful folks here will know something.

Thanks!!!

It's there to minimize the impedance bump normally associated with connecting to a SO-239. It also acts like a feed through to minimize TVI. I've seen them before but you are right, no matter how many search term combinations I tried, I couldn't find one.

It's there to minimize the impedance bump normally associated with connecting to a SO-239. It also acts like a feed through to minimize TVI. I've seen them before but you are right, no matter how many search term combinations I tried, I couldn't find one.

Quick question, is there a physical “link” inside this thing or does it “funnel” the RF through it at very close proximity. It looks like there was once some type of filament or very thin conductor but it’s hard to tell for certain. If not, I could simply solder it back together as I can definitely see where it was soldered and broke. But that’s basically on the “housing” where the shield is. I don’t see anything on the center wire.

Quick question, is there a physical “link” inside this thing or does it “funnel” the RF through it at very close proximity. It looks like there was once some type of filament or very thin conductor but it’s hard to tell for certain. If not, I could simply solder it back together as I can definitely see where it was soldered and broke. But that’s basically on the “housing” where the shield is. I don’t see anything on the center wire.
from what i can see in pic,, the white wire is like a coax,, the center goes to the so239 while the outer braid gets soldered to the shield cone,,,,, i have seen many milspec equipment done like that,,, just find a new so239 that matches and reassemble with the same cone,,,,,

Reactions: DoctorAudio
The center pin of the SO-239 part looks like it has solder in it so I would think the center of the coax was soldered there? It's hard to see exactly because your camera didn't focus on the center of the SO-239 very well. I've seen that connector before on the 2995's and in other equipment but never investigated exactly how it's constructed. If the center is soldered it would seem like you would have to solder it first with the ground flange slid back over the coax then slide the flange back flush with the back of the SO-239 and solder the flange to the coax shield sleeve.

Reactions: midnight special
"shielded SO-239 bulkhead connector" didn't return a match on a search, I guess that's not what it's called either.. ;)

"shielded SO-239 bulkhead connector

"Shielded SO-239 Chassis connector" yields nothing like the one with the "Shroud"
Amphenol / Andrews RF / Switchcraft ...none show this type.
Been terminating cables and working on RF chassis' for 50 years never seen one like that.
Even my Mil-Spec catalog does not show one like that.
Maybe Shockwave or KB1SEL has a source...

All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Personally I have seen those type male/female coax fittings all the time.
All the Big 3 and others use those for inter-connections (board to board) for RF connections.

However after 30-40 years or even sooner, when I see those in use in an old Kenwood/Yaesu etc. they will get a good cleaning and anti-ox coating. They tend to build up oxidation quite frequently.
Generally the ground shroud tends to oxidize and you get a high resistance connection between the male and female board sleeve.
IMHO / 2 cents worth

1cc240c8-031f-4c96-b644-164344d80f44-jpeg.47823

Just me but that would have to go, in this usage.

Reactions: midnight special
QUICK UPDATE!!

I called Ranger USA Today regarding the part. Turns out, it IS a proprietary part that they make in house. Not so much because it’s patented or super special but because it’s the best solution they’ve come up with to accommodate their design and performance specs.

That said, they’re taking an entire assembly (the short cable and fitting) from an old radio in their shelf and sending it to me. They offered to do that or send the components so that I could make one up but I opted for the former.

The fact that there are other brands that use the same someone not can only be explained by them using the same assembly factory for multiple brands.

FYI, the component is simply made up of the short coax jumper with male PCB crimp-on connectors at both ends, a PCB female connector soldered to a common SO-239 flanged bulkhead connector.

So, no real revelations here other than what most of us suspected. You’re not gonna find this part at any run of the mill RF parts supply house.

Take care!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.