• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RG-99 hacked up

Mk121

Oct 28, 2015
I got a rg-99 that has been abused. I would like to get it back to stock. Had anyone ever seen this mod before with the black box? Looks like pure hackery! Enjoy the pics. Any help is appreciatedIMG_20190410_163527021.jpg IMG_20190410_163546569.jpg IMG_20190410_163609766.jpg

it looks like a talkback mod using a relay and getting audio off the mirror board. over the years I have done a few of these mods but they never looked so jumbled up.
do not just start cutting it out or you will lose the receive. normally they cut a trace to the main audio feed or remove a jumper under the 2sb827 module on the side of the case. when the relay is activated it kills the audio as the radio normally works.

Thanks Sonoma. Yea it does have TalkBack. Is this also some sort of swing mod as well? I noticed I have no control over the amc pot. So something is clipped I guess. This thing has terrible audio right now. Any idea how to start removing this relay mod? Thanks

like I said you have some thing clipped or a cut trace with 2 wires from the relay soldered to it. you have to repair what is cut or clipped to make the relay talk back work properly.
you have to look real close to see what is done. I am not a big fan of some one removing mods when they have no idea what was done to get to that point. you may just totally kill the receive by just cutting the relay out.

what happens is you key up the radio and the relay kills the receive and puts talk back audio into the speaker circuit . when you unkey the speaker audio goes through the relay to complete the circuit so you then have normal receive audio out the speaker.

Ok I don't mind leaving the talk back relay alone if it's simply just a way to get talk back out of this radio. Where are the usual spots they clip these radios for the amc circuit? Its the 690010z board. Thanks

I'm trying to adjust the amc is this radio and it's disabled. Problem is I don't see anything clipped or removed. Anyone know any board numbers to check to see if I can restore the amc circuit. Thanks

It also tells you what other radios used that board. Check the schematic for the 2517. That should get you in the ballpark of what to look for.

Seems like every internet "expert" has a secret-sauce method for this.

I would suggest taking a very-bright light and a magnifier to the radio. Look for a resistor and/or a diode with a clipped lead. A circuit like that can be interrupted in a half-dozen points between the "sensing" transistor that gets triggered by the modulator's audio peaks at one end, and the audio-attenuator transistor Q39 at the other end of the limiting circuit.

Since a half-dozen or more parts can be 'clipped' and disable this circuit, you might find more than one of them has been disabled. Some folks think that if a little is good, more is better. Never mind that clipping that first part shuts off the limiting. Clipping more of them doesn't shut it off "more".

Just makes restoring it more work.

Reactions: Mk121 and NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.