• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

(RANGER) SMD to through hole components

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
The end of through hole is near!

While working on a Ranger 797 today this caught my eye. Not the first time I've seen this type of board but my first to see this transistor modded into this location and in a Ranger. (Pay no mind to the stray solder balls/blobs provided at no extra cost by them)

The end of through hole is getting closer my friends. When Ranger is making piggy back boards to sub smd in place of common through hole transistors that must say something.
20231028_205132.jpgScreenshot_20231028_205146_Gallery.jpg

Looks weird, and twice as much soldering as the SMD soldered to the board, and the board soldered to the main board.
Looks like they also have the standard type transistors in there too. I wonder why the mixed bag.
Does the little break out board have a Ranger part number on it? Maybe their supplier makes them? I don't see how this is cost effective, unless the original part is unobtainable. Maybe a last ditch effort to keep the production line going.
I believe the specific transistor in that location is unobtainable as to why the mixed bag. The through hole are becoming less from the manufacturers so maybe this is rangers substitute to fill the parts needed.
That's only my speculation.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.