• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger TRE-936 FFC

A reply about the similarities between a TR-966 and the TRE-936ffc as far as me trying to procure a service manual which wasn't made for the 936.
"Yes it is similar to the tr-966 but there is a different switch panel as well as mosfet transistors for outputs and different audio circuit so you may be able to use some of the information depending on the circuit."
"The on/off volume switch is part number RV50303522 and they are $6.57 each."
sales@radioshopsupply.com

Got my V-Blue---SMT B Experimental Board part#EWRT32084S.
Also got a three position switch,dual pot volume,and knobs to match my 936.
The channel board has a SMT board and components. It's got two tuning slugs in it. The V board kit comes with a four prong plug that solders on the radio's main pcb board. LesCom is sending his channel board to me as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 18
Alrighty. I put the V-SMT board in the 959. I got my LesCom L3S board for my 936. It's got a four band channel switch and a crystal to replace X3 with. It can do just fine with the crystal that's already in the radio but LesCom's crystal will give it a broader frequency spread. The kit includes a single pole double throw switch for the 10+kc function but the kit also contains a two pin male pc mount plug that can be soldered on the back of an assigned switch. Also, the kit includes a mounting bracket with two machine screws and one black zip tie.
I'm supposed to use the 959 instructions on LesCom's website.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 17
Ranger SRA-158 or Chinese Clone?

I used my SRA-158 today and thought I'd do a little research on the mic. How come about all of Ranger's "where to buy" vendors don't carry the 158?
The one I bought from Tintnelectronics on Ebay seems to be the only one to sell the 158? Reason I asked is because I read on the Mauldroppers website on how that the guy corresponding with Bulldog Triple 7 mentioned he purchased a SRA-158 but it sounded crappy,opened the mic case up and realized it wasn't constructed as certain product reviews showed it to be.
My 158 isn't made like the one CBRadioMagazine reviewed. No label on the back but stamped,'made in China '
Comments please.

CBRadioMagazine.com - Ranger SRA-158 Microphone Review
On Line Dealers For Ranger Communications Products
http://www.mauldroppers.com/showthread.php?17551-Ranger-SRA-198-Noise-Cancelling-Microphone-Review!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Chinese counterfeit ?
I'll contact Ranger about it and hear what they say about it.
Done,waiting for a reply this week.
Blue Parrot Sales on Ebay sells them as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Made in The Good Ole' China

I received the SRA-158 mic I ordered from Ranger Communications Parts Service . It's obvious that it isn't made as well as the one CBRadioMagazine reviewed. It has a minimal cord strain relief but the one from Radio Shop Supply has a nicer looking weight in it. Oh well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 11
Saving money by having no product designation sticker

Final thought: the Radio Shop Supply sales representive didn't comment when I described to them about the one I bought off of Ebay,about it being made in China.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Found this info too. The website seems to be down so I copied from Google cashed harvest.

https://www.radiomods.co.nz/texasranger300_600_900seriesmods.html

Texas Ranger TR 300/600/900 series mods
This mod info was sent to me by Weak One, thank you.

Channel conversion

After removing the bottom cover, look behind the channel selector..
You are looking for J33, once located, find P5(yellow) &P6 (grey).

Cut wire on P5 which is yellow and install a SPST switch inline.

Cut P6 which is grey and install a SPST switch in line.

If you want, you can wire it up to the switches on the radio, anl-nb-ch19/off-dim bright.

Just make sure that if you want it bright, that you wire acordingly, the same with the anl-nb, if you want it on, wire acordingly.

Talk back
Clip D75 and install a switch for on/off talk back.
OR
This version will give you the abillity to change the audio level.

1. Remove D75
2. Add a jumper from JP25 to Cathode of D79
3. If the audio level is not loud enough, replace R-221 with 56K ohm.

Step #3 is not really necessary as the audio level is loud, but to some users it may not be loud enough

Clarifier mods for the TR696, TR966 and TR696F mobile and base ssb radios
First off, remove the top and bottom covers, take the knobs off of the radio, and remove the screws for the face plate.
Very carefully lift the face plate up just far enough so you can do the clarifier mod..
You have to lift the face up and if your carefull, it's easy to lift it up far enough without having to un-hook any wires with no problem..
VERSION#1
1.Remove R113
2.Remove D68
3.Remove D38
4.Place a wire across D38 mounting holes
5.Place a wire from J14 (which is +8volts) and connect it to J9 at the F1 connection.

Version #2
With the instructions about the covers and
face being taken off as in the first and third version.
1. Remove R113
2. Remove D68
3. Place wire from J14(+8volts) and connect it to J9 at position F1

Version #3
After the covers and face are taken off, and the face lifted slightly
1. Remove JP195
2. Remove JP196
3. Place wire from J14(+8volts)and connect it to J9 at the F1 position

HIGH POWER MOD (30-35watts)
This will work for most EPT-069610Z Boards.

Install the parts listed below:

1. Q47 One additional 2sc1969 final with isolation hardware.
2. A heat sink should be bolted to the rear of the chassis after the conversion.
3.D91-1n4148 diode.
4. C209-390pf 5% 50mv mica capacitor.
5. C212-104uf 5% 50mv ceramic capacitor.
6. R242-22 ohm 1/8 watt 5% carbon film resistor
7. R243-150ohm 1/2 watt 5% carbon film resistor
8. L34-22uh conformal coated choke
9. Q47-2SC1969 Transistor
10. VR11-100 variable potentiometer.

Adjustments
AM Modulation limiter R-276

VR-1 AM S-METER
VR-2 SSB S-METER
VR-3 SSB SQUELCH RANGE
VR-4 AM SQUELCH RANGE
VR-6 SSB CARRIER BALANCE
VR-7 TX OFFSET
VR-9 RF METER
VR-10 FINAL BIAS
VR-12 DRIVER BIAS
VR-13 SSB ALC
VR-14 A HIGH POWER
VR-15 AM MODULATION METER
VR-16 AM MODULATION
VR-17 SSB POWER
VR-18 AM LOW POWER
VC1-10.240 MHz Frequency adjustment

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.