• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

'Ransom' Virus

The scanners I was referring to were smaller programs put out by the manufacturers of the full programs that would simply scan files and the registry (hence scanner). They had no other capabilities other then finding and removing malware. They typically used the same definition database of the full blown programs. They were much lighter on the system, and you could run multiple of them at the same time, with the only issue really being that they would take longer to run as they were all accessing the hard drive at the same time. Most (but not all) ran from DOS prompts. Do not confuse them with the full blown programs, they were not intended for active protection.

So tell me, which one scanner will remove every threat out there. In my experience there are *NONE*. Some are better than others, but none that will detect everything on a computer. If you are earning a living removing malware from computers among other things, you want to make sure you get as much of it as possible.

The DB

Multiple scanner as in 5 antivirus scanners. You cannot do that.

Multiple scanner as in 5 antivirus scanners. You cannot do that.

So I can't do what I did for a living for years... right...

Mcafee's DOS based scanner doesn't exist anymore (I think as I have't been able to download it from where I used to).

Webroot has one if you have access to their Geek Squad version of the system analyzer (not the 700k version used as a sales tool for their web site), it will download the Spysweeper definitions list, and you can run it from DOS with command line options to scan and remove malware.

Panda makes one, as does Trend, Kasperski, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor.

These are not the full programs that you pay for, these are smaller programs that only scan and remove, nothing else. They do not waste resources trying to protect and they do not fight each other (like the Mcafee/Norton on same computer issues). And I have run them together multiple times and have never had a problem.

So are you saying what I did on a daily basis was impossible?

The DB

I figured that, even though I had previously posted:

The scanners I was referring to were smaller programs put out by the manufacturers of the full programs that would simply scan files and the registry (hence scanner). They have no other capabilities other then finding and removing malware.

That is part of what he quoted, perhaps he missed it, or misunderstood it.

The DB

I figured that, even though I had previously posted:

That is part of what he quoted, perhaps he missed it, or misunderstood it.

The DB

Misread the reply. All i can say is there is people who "think" installing ± 3 anti viruses will triple there protection... just doesn't work that way as one will cancel the other out. As for smaller avs.provided by the same company is fine...:)

If one wanted to run 3 antiviruses the easiest way would be to modify the registry to point to an app or vbs script to boot a different program every time you start the pc. The part in the registry that launches the av program at startupis usually found under the heading microsoft/windows/currentversion/runservices or run.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.