• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rare meteor storm possible over Memorial Day weekend

I'd like to see a good shower; a storm would be nice. Not the kinds of storm we've had all day here in the central Kitsap county of WA state. Many years ago I built a 12-inch mirror, trying my best to get a close-to-perfect curve. When I was done I packed it securely and sent it from Las Vegas down to an optical lab in San Diego. This place did all the fine testing for mirrors from our workshops. Then they'd aluminize it and do a "computer aided" report. Special rate for students from out of state was $40, with the report included.

Note that came in with that report said that my mirror was the nearest thing to a perfect surface he'd ever seen. I got it mounted in a good equatorial mount on a REALLY heavy tripod. When I went into the Navy, my folks told me to sell my star stuff. The head of that lab wanted it, and for $2900 he took it home.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.