• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rarest cb / export you’ve owned

I started out on 11m in the early 60s, so I have a ton of old 23-channel tube AM & SSB base radios and walkie talkies from the 60 ~ 70s - including a lot of SONY 11m radios from many different countries. They'll probably all end up in an estate sale and eventually on ebay after I croak, so keep your eyes open - LOL

As for 'rare'?

* (2) Cherokee AH-100 80+ channel SSB walkie talkies - kind of rare

Cherokee AH-100.jpg

* CPI CP-400 80-channel SSB mobile

CPI CP-400-1.jpg

* CPI CP-2000 80-channel SSB base

CPI CP-2000-1.jpg

* General Radio SB-72 23-channel SSB base/mobile

SB-72 on Bench.jpg

* SONY ICB-2500 40-channel SSB mobile
* Lafayette Telsat SSB-50 (40-channel) mobile

ICB-2500 & Teslat SSB-50 (40 ch).JPG

* Metrotek 'Space Station' 23-channel AM base

Metrotek Space Station.jpg

... and

* (2) Vocaline JRC-400 UHF AM 400 mhz radios (these were before the FCC
took the 11m band away from Hams and allocated it for 'CB' in 1959).

vocaline_jrc400.jpg

3 offenses 12 counts. It set me back a few bucks. I learned. Now I’m back in the same area running 1500 watts but this time I’m legal.
I thought seriously about at least saying "hello" to the ZS station. That was the first time I'd ever heard ANY station in Africa, and Africa turned out to be the very last continent I needed for WAC! Glad I waited to get one on CW!

Reactions: Rwb
Dont know if rare or not?
Cant find any info on it. Anyone have any insight on it? Marko cb-444
There's a schematic and tune up info in Secret CB Volume 19. They've got the manufacturer listed as "Marco" for the schematic, but "Marko" for the tune up info. Looks like it's yet another Cybernet PLL02A variant.

Reactions: Rwb
So many years, so many radios. Not necessarily having to be exports I've had a mix of rare legal CB's and exports:
  • General Radiotelephone SB-72
  • E.F. Johnson 350 (2ch SSB "only" mobile)*
  • Stoner Pro-40
  • CPI-2000*
  • Lafayette Telsat 25*
  • Midland 13-778 3ch SSB WT
  • President Grant II "Premium"
  • President McKinley EU*
  • PACE 1000M 40ch PLL*
  • Lafayette Telsat-150*
  • ARF-2001
  • Hy-Gain 623
  • Mark "Sidewinder"
  • Mark 46
  • Tram Corsair
I wish I kept 'em all but only the ones with an asterisk after it are still around (I'm sure I've forgotten a few as well)

And there is one that's eluded me over the years: The SBE Sidebander III (23ch SSB "only" mobile)

Woody

Reactions: Holydvr
Galaxy DX99V, Teaberry Model-T, Sonar FS-23, Colt 510XL, Albrecht AE-something (AM/FM), Alan 42+, and a Midland 75-830. Most of them "owned" as in the past tense of the word except the valve radios those are gonna be fun when the next solar maximum kicks off.

I think the rarest CB I own is a Lafayette Telsat SSB 120. It's the mobile version of the Telsat SSB 140 but VERY different in terms of features. It's in near mint condition.

Attachments

• Lafayette Telsat SSB 120.jpg
    Lafayette Telsat SSB 120.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 17
I think the rarest CB I own is a Lafayette Telsat SSB 120. It's the mobile version of the Telsat SSB 140 but VERY different in terms of features. It's in near mint condition.
I worked at Lafayette Electronics for a couple years back in the early 70's, sold a lot of CB radios (as well as full-on brand name home stereo systems), albeit CBs were only 23-channels at the time.

My oldest brother bought two Telsat SSB-25 SSB radios and we had no problem talking with each other on 12 watts pep ... he lived 60 (crow-fly) miles away from me.
Really nice rigs, and very expensive at the time ... $300. in 1970 is equivalent to about $2,300. today !!!

Telsat SSB-25.jpg

I left 'Laff-at-it' and went to work for Pathcom, customer service bench tech for the Pace-2300 series radios ... boring job, stuck inside and breathing solder fumes all day.

PACE 2300.jpg

Was glad to enter the construction field as an electrician for rest of my working career ... ;)

Last edited:
I worked at Lafayette Electronics for a couple years back in the early 70's, sold a lot of CB radios (as well as full-on brand name home stereo systems), albeit CBs were only 23-channels at the time.

My oldest brother bought two Telsat SSB-25 SSB radios and we had no problem talking with each other on 12 watts pep ... he lived 60 (crow-fly) miles away from me. Really nice rig.

View attachment 60392

I left 'Laff-at-it' and went to work for Pathcom, customer service bench tech for the Pace-2300 series radios ... boring job, stuck inside and breathing solder fumes all day.

View attachment 60393

Was glad to enter the construction field as an electrician for rest of my working career ... ;)
Back around 1981 I purchased my 1st CB. It was a lightly used Telsat 140. The previous CB's I had were given to me. I think because it was my 1st one by choice I developed a love for the Lafayette radios. I purchaed a box lot of radios 3 years ago and in it was the Telsat 120. I had never known that this model existed. It was interesting that it was the mobile version of the 140 but it had the dial indicator for the channels instead of the segments. It does have the same board in it and the service info is mostly the same as the 140. It's recapped, aligned and it gets used ocassionally as I do not run a radio in my truck very often.

I think this is rare I know its old..I have a COBRA CAM-88 for its age it looks almost new. It even has working TX and REC someday I hope to have someone with more knowledge of tube radios go over it and get it back on the air .

Reactions: KF6IRK and Rwb
My Ranger RG-99
Still looks great, got the box mounting bracket an mic, just missing the manual lol never been opened still got the original seal on the side
Anyone got a manual :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'll put a photo up when I get to it (y)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated