• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Raw rookie all band questions

KW4HKY

Feb 16, 2010
I'm very limited on space, and 99% sure I'm getting an Icom 7000 simply because it's all band. I can get an auto tuner the same size as the radio, so that will save space.

Now the fun part. My wife has no problem with store bought antennas. Home made and she frowns. (she pays the bills). Heres the little bit I Think I know.

I will need a good verticle antenna for 2m/440. No restrictions on putting one up on my 2 story roof on a tripod mount. I already have a rotor TV antenna that needs to come down. The motor even works.

Now I'm lost on the 6 to 160 meter antennas.

I doubt any one antenna would cover all.

She does not want wires strung in our trees.

Would a Yaqui with my rotor help?

What are my choices, and it would help if I had pictures to show her.

Could be HF might not happen for me. It's not worth a war at home over an antenna farm.

Thanks

Gene

KW4HKY

Gene,
It sounds like you may be limited to vertical antennas unless you can talk your 'better half' around a little bit. So, it sort of depends on where you plan to operate and how. For most 2 meter '440 stuff I think a dual band antenna on your existing roof mount (tripod) would probably do fine. That means FM and repeaters mostly. If you plan to do any SSB etc, on those two bands then a directional antenna would also be nice, along with that vertical.
For HF, an all-band vertical would be one solution. I think I'd stay away from the 'newer' simple 43 foot thingys, they will 'work' but aren't resonant anywhere. That means that they are always a dubious 'compromise' at best. And forget a small tuner, you will need one at the base of those things if you want to do any good at all. So, that means that you ought to look at the trapped type verticals. Which ones? I'm not a vertical fan, so I'm not a good one to ask about that. You should also get used to the idea that you will need a very good ground radial system. All vertical antennas benefit from that, no matter what the advertising says. How many and how long? As long as possible, and as twice as many as you have when you get sick and tired of them, plus two more just for grins. You can probably tell that ground radials are not my most favorite thing to 'do', right? I do have one favorite, it's the tallest, ugliest, one of the most expensive, definitely requires radials, and is just a lot of work to put together. That's the '18-HT' by Hygain. It'll even work 160 with the 'add-on' kit. 160 meters is not going to be easy no matter what antenna you look at, they are large, to say the least, and forget 'broadbandedness'.
And then, if size is really that important ('looks', actually) the typical screw driver type mobile antenna with a very good radial system (again) is also an alternative. They will certainly work, but never as well as a 'full sized' antenna. Also think in terms of expensive.
Until you get an idea of what HF is like, and find your favorite HF bands, I don't think I'd sink a huge amount of money in any antenna. All band capability is certainly nice, but I've found that there are some bands that just aren't as 'appealing' as others, you know?
Oh well. It isn't like you can't change stuff later, most people do to some extent.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

There are a few different HF antennas that you can look at. The HF virticals can be fairly high dollar but I have heard several folks in my area that use them and have fairly good results with them.

I have seen a few mast mountable antennas at MFJ and at R&L Eletronics for HF that might be worth looking at.

For 6 meters and up,Jetstream makes a 6,2,and 440 ground plane that might be what you are looking for.....

just a couple of thoughts that you might find interesting

How big and ugly vertical antenna is she willing to put up with? You can do something that is 25' or so, mounted on the ground and have some fun with it. There is another vertical that I'm familiar with that is basically an end fed 1/2 wave that you need to get mounted higher, but doesn't require ground radials. All of them are compromises compared to larger wire antennas, but that doesn't mean you can't have a whole lot of fun. Would she let you put up an inverted V type antenna if it wasn't strung through the trees?

Forget an auto tuner. Simply wont work in your situation. Get a good manual tuner, and learn to use it correctly. It will serve you well for a lifetime. I don't understand your antenna situation. You can build any wire antenna for less than $50.00, and hide it out in the open. No retailer can build a better antenna than you can build yourself! In my opinion, a vertical is pretty hard to hide anywhere. Build a wire dipole out of a color of wire that blends into the background. (ie: green for trees, white, gray, blue for out in the open, etc...)If it is long enough, you should be able to use it on most bands with the manual tuner you will purchase. By the way, ANY antenna is a comprise, and an all bander is the biggest compromise of all. A single band wire antenna is almost always the best choice. Almost always.

Do you have an attic? Search for attic mounted antennas. Most are used for V/Uhf but some have had good luck with HF. Also alot of info online about stealth antennas. Wires under gutters, flagpoles, etc. I hung a 10M dipole in my sunroom and made contact to FL. Have also used 2M halo indoors during thunderstorms.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.