• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RC car question?

Shockwave

Sep 19, 2009
I've been working on a homebrew remote control car for my friends grandson and have run into a unique problem. It's a 52 volt ,13 cell battery, powering a 750 watt brushless motor.

The issue relates to the RC throttle control that currently operates a servo to turn the hall effect throttle. This mechanical link has added more latency and play than desired and we'd like to replace it electronically.

We thought we found the right interface board to convert the output signal of the RC receiver, to the output voltage of the old hall effect sensor, but it's not producing a DC output above 1.3 volts and it should be 5.

To make matters more complicated, we are learning there are differences between some of the digital input signals these boards work with. For example, do I need one that takes a PWM or PPM input from the RC receiver? Do we have any RC experts able to share some advice?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb and Slowmover

Odds are your servos are PPM. Sounds as if the interface board isn't listening for that control format, maybe?

A glance with with a 'scope would reveal if the interface is really producing a steady DC output, or a pulse train. If so, this will explain the low DC voltage reading.

Did the old hall-effect control really deliver a steady DC voltage to contol the motor controller? I'm not terribly up to date on modern-day motor controllers.

Reactions: Rwb
I have been in the R/C hobby for over forty years now..Servos are ppm but over the last few years everything I is going optical now. While I don't do cars on my.planes I use on (sometime two) servos on each control surface. You should be able to make an electronic connection or depending on the size of the car just use two.servos, one for.each wheel and mix them together on the TX.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.