• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rci 2950 early version. Am receive fades out only strong signals are heard

DR456

Jan 23, 2017
Baton Rouge Louisiana
Hi I have a rci 2950 early version. Am receive fades out only the strongest signals are heard. Receive working fine in all other modes. Replaced the backup battery. I checked the solder welds on the am regulator and other board to chassis components. I have checked the front protector diodes and the detect diodes. Also installed a sc2999 receive transistor. No luck. Any ideas?

I have one of the early versions also and last year it was acting like yours and I recapped it and it came back to life. mine when I would 1st turn it on would make a slight buzzing noise when 1st turned on for just a second and then RX would be there then fade out.

I have one of the early versions also and last year it was acting like yours and I recapped it and it came back to life. mine when I would 1st turn it on would make a slight buzzing noise when 1st turned on for just a second and then RX would be there then fade out.
Thanks Sonoma will keep this in mind.

Does SSB receive fade out as well?

Or does it stay strong and only AM mode fades out?

If so, try changing C25, a 10uf electrolytic cap. Quick test is to bridge the leads of a new one to the foil pads on the solder side of the pc board. This just puts the new cap in parallel with the one in the radio. If you hear a difference, the old C25 has failed open.

If C25 is bad, change C26 at the same time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.