• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950CD vs Lincoln II+

2NC995

DAN
Feb 23, 2008
Coastal NC
I’m going to answer my own question in short order, having just ordered a 2950CD, but I’m curious if anyone has made their own comparison?

I have 2 of the Lincoln II+ rigs and have been rather pleased with them. I suffer some terrible bleedover, however, and am hoping the RCI might be a smidge better in that regard.

No matter either way...I always wanted one.

Just curious as to any thoughts on the matter?

Reactions: Slowmover

Both radio have lots of white noise on the receiver - adjusting RF gain down slightly helps with both. I haven't had strong signal overload problems with my Lincoln II V3, at least not any worse than any other radio.

I prefer the Lincoln II to RCI 2950 as I think it's more user friendly and has a smaller profile, however the 2950DX functionally is a little easier to use mobile since it is bigger. I've tuned both and both can sound really good on air so pretty much a draw there.

These are two radios I never feel bad recommending to people, however I will say I prefer the last version 2950DX with black LCD and green letters over the newer display colors. And I much prefer the 2970DX over the N2.

I suffer some terrible bleedover, however, and am hoping the RCI might be a smidge better in that regard.

Assuming the RX hasn't been "tweaked and peaked" so the original selectivity is in place then it's likely to make no difference as the bleedover is splatter from a bell end overdriving their CB so you can't do anything about that as it's RF being broadcast on the channel you're on, even if they're set on their CB to 1,2,3 channels or more up/down.

If you've the noise blanker on turn it off as they usually reduce selectivity.

If you really want a worthwhile improvement in selectivity though you need to get away from CBs. Icom 7300 gives contest grade selectivity, you can listen to a S3 signal right next to a S9+20 as long as the stronger one is fairly clean.

Assuming the RX hasn't been "tweaked and peaked" so the original selectivity is in place then it's likely to make no difference as the bleedover is splatter from a bell end overdriving their CB so you can't do anything about that as it's RF being broadcast on the channel you're on, even if they're set on their CB to 1,2,3 channels or more up/down.

2-3 channels? LOL. I could probably deal with that, but this is more like 500+khz away and wipes out my receiver completely.

All I can do now is turn down the RF gain, but if I can't hear what I'm listening for that does me no good.

On the Lincoln II+ turn the RF Gain down just slightly - so if 5 o'clock is all the way up turn it to just under 3 o'clock and you'll get rid of the white noise without losing a lot of the signal of a station. Mess around with it until you get it just right - that got rid of a lot of noise for me.

On the Lincoln II+ turn the RF Gain down just slightly - so if 5 o'clock is all the way up turn it to just under 3 o'clock and you'll get rid of the white noise without losing a lot of the signal of a station. Mess around with it until you get it just right - that got rid of a lot of noise for me.

I’m usually in a position where I would not want to reduce the RF gain...listening for the far off or rare DX. I don’t have a choice when it comes to bleedover, though. Just nothing else I can do to minimize the effects. Even worse these days with additional “Superbowls” popping up everywhere. As much as I get the “bowl” mentality...if it ain’t on “6” it don’t count anyway...haha.

That’s the biggest area I haven’t yet had a chance to compare. I’ve got them set up side by side with a coax switch now, so I’m looking forward to the opportunity when it arises.

What I'm saying though is you can reduce the RF gain on the Lincoln II slightly and still hear DX but reduce the white noise. You'll have to play around with it a bit to find the sweet spot but sometimes I can't hear a DX station until I turn the RF gain down slightly.

other thing that will help is a DSP speaker like BHI or ClrSpkr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.