• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rci-2950dx

There is another issue with these radios that i do not see mentioned here. In my experence the "white noise issue" depends mostly where you buy the rig from.

why?

I have seen allot of shops jack up both vco voltages in order to increase rx. This is bogus and i have found this done more so than not.

The service manual calls for the voltage to be set at 1 volt +or -1%

if you have an issue with this check the vco voltages.

rci

i have a blackface receives well.My only issue is the annoying light fluctuations on transmit and the whole audio not peaking out on tx on lower frequencys on ssb.I just got a new anytone and it doesnt have these problems.The 2950 is a better built radio tho.

Have to say I don't know what RCI did but I got a 2950DX new last week and that crummy white noise is not there like the others I have had , 2950, 2-2950DX green displays, 2970DX and a 2985DX all of them had the same recieve issue but this new black face I have doesn't have that, the serial number has an 11 in the first part of it so it must be new within the last 10 months

Hello Tucker,

I have been searching for years now for a radio that will give me the quiet receiver that I grew up with like the Cobra 148GTL, but have the features of the RCI 2950DX I have run for 12 years or so now. I have been putting up with that "white noise" that has prevented me from enjoying listening to far distant stations like I used to. Can you tell me more of what you experienced with the new "black face" RCI2950 DX3 model? I would greatly appreciate it! Bob

Hello Tucker,

I have been searching for years now for a radio that will give me the quiet receiver that I grew up with like the Cobra 148GTL, but have the features of the RCI 2950DX I have run for 12 years or so now. I have been putting up with that "white noise" that has prevented me from enjoying listening to far distant stations like I used to. Can you tell me more of what you experienced with the new "black face" RCI2950 DX3 model? I would greatly appreciate it! Bob

After watching a YouTube video on the Galaxy 959 and how this person claims that the receiver is dead silent (no white noise) I was considering one of those radios modified to do 10 meter, but I can't believe that I would have to settle for such a low end radio (CB) to achieve a "quiet" receiver like in the old days. (very disappointing). Anyone on here let me know what I should do to achieve that with the features of the RCI 2950. - - - - Thanks a lot! - - - Bob

Starbird check out the optima mk3. Good little radio and have a good noise filter on SSB. They aren't a big AM radio, but on SSB they shine.

On SSB, the optima mk3 has a nice noise filter that really does its job. While not the AM power house, if SSB is your thing, the optima mk3 won't disappoint. Best bang for the buck. Add an icom hm-36 mic (a real made in Japan one), and it's a rock solid SSB radio.

What I do since I have my 2950dx as a base setup is I just hookup a quality speaker that has low and high filters on it. I have a Kenwood Sp 820 and a Sp 31 You can get them on ebay for a good price used. The 2950 sounds excellent through either speaker. You can cut out the highs on the speakers which in return cut out a lot of the white noise on the 2950 that you would hear

Reactions: hotrod

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.