• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950DX

N9RZD, you're not actually trying to make any sense out of laws put together by our federal government are you? It'll make you nuts...

I've been lurking and learning around the forums here for awhile. This has to be the best most logical statement I've read.

Also being a Second Amendment guy if you think the radio laws are wacky... man these are tame. If something happened and If you get a good lawyer you should be able to beat anything back.

To understand why the rules are this way, you have to know how they are written.
They are written under political pressure from special interest groups.

In the case of the FCC, those would be the ARRL and National Association of Broadcasters.

Why arent yaecomwood radios, which are just as easy to modify for 11m, not on the banned list?
Because they arent sold and cb shops and truck stops.
Maybe an HF rig could be sold with mars mod done, with CB/FRS/GMRS channels pre-programmed to justify the price. Then you would see sparks fly.

This is 'nit-picking', but can shed some light on a question.

Almost anything that get's at least close to the accepted standards can be used on the amateur bands. That means that things can be converted from from their original usage to be used on the ham bands. That 'converting' has to be done by the user though, it can't be done commercially. How that user does the converting only has to meet 'standard' specifications so if he wants to pay whoever to do the converting it's certainly allowable. A radio can't be -commercially- sold in this country for any particular 'service' without being 'type accepted', passing a test for minimum acceptability. I honestly can't see any problem with that, can you? If you want to make a fortune selling your own design of radio all you have to do is make sure that it meets minimum standards and put the thing through that 'type acceptance' procedure. Not cheap, and not exactly 'falling off a log' easy/simple, but very far from being impossible.
So why can't you do that on CB? Very simply because most CB'ers don't have a clue as to what is acceptable. I didn't say 'all' CB'ers, but you gotta admit that 'most' really don't have a clue about why something is done a particular way, right? That's part of what that test for a ham license is supposed to establish, that the one taking the test at least has -some- idea of the minimum standards.
Standards change periodically. They typically get 'tighter', more stringent. That's good. Would you really want to have to listen to something like a spark-gap transmitter on the limited resource bands we all have to use? Believe me, you don't wanna do that! And tell me that you never wished old 'whatshisname' would clean his act up a bit.
Oh well...
- 'Doc

Substitute "most people" for most "CB'ers" in the above. That might make it more acceptable.

Hi guys.

I want to order a new RCI 2950DX from Copper.

Can a guy pop the cover, change a jumper and get the extra freqs, or MUST you have them do it by putting in extra parts or something.

Thanks!
Not that it's any of my business, but I had a 2950 for years they become unreliable and in my opinion your better off with the 2970 for the extra power, although I now own a Icom 718 and there is no comparison, so maybe try get one for yourself.cheers

I have a 2950DX that I will be selling shortly. It has the "E-chip" installed and that is the only thing that has been done to it. It's 6 mos old and works just fine.
If anyone is interested let me know with a pm

I am not totally certain, but I think everyone is missing a key point here. The issue, IMO, is with these radios being channelized and easily converted to the forty channels specifically. For example, take the HR-2510. When 'opened' up it contains a new 'channel bank' (bank g) which is numbered 1-40 and I don't have to tell you what those frequencies are. In fact, this particular radio has many 'banks' of channels of which ALL are 50 channels each in 10 kc steps. EXCEPT for band g, which is 40 channels.

The reason, again IMO, that the YaeComWoo models used in the ARS aren't on the list is that they don't 'open' up to the channelization as mentioned above. Now, are the rest of the radios on this list the same way as the 2510? I don't know because I haven't used all of them. But I do know that most of them have the ABCDEF band selector (Like the Connex rigs) and are channelized and I would bet that one of those bands fall in the CB and the LCD/LEDs read 1-40 while doing so.

Notice what it says:
The Commission’s equipment authorization experts in the FCC Laboratory have determined that the transceivers listed herein and other similar models at issue here are intended for use on the CB frequencies as well as those in the amateur service because they have built-in capability to operate on CB frequencies. This capability can be readily activated by moving or removing a jumper plug, cutting or splicing a wire, plugging in a connector, or other simple means. Thus, all the transceivers listed herein and similar models fall within the definition of a CB transmitter. See 47C.F.R. § 95.603(c). A CB transmitter must be certificated by the FCC prior to marketing or importation. 47 C.F.R. §§ 95.603(c); 2.803.

They are referring to, IMO, the factor that the units happen to 'align' on 1-40. Not because they have a VFO or can be programmed via VFO to operate on CB frequencies.

Unless they have changed their policy, you MUST pay them the money to modify the radio, or they will send you the radio missing the part required to activate 11 meters!

Most dealers, if you choose not to have them convert your radio for you, will send you the radio plus the "E-Key" that is a little plug in module that activates the open transmit. Copper keeps YOUR E-Key unless you pay them to convert.

Not too cool!:thumbdown:

No, not true...where did you get that info.. I ordered one stock from them and the fix was attached in the Mic cord package...where do these people get this eroneous info??

I wouldn't buy a radio from copper or h&y electronics all they sell is refurbished junk thats why there prices are cheaper than every body else exspecialy radios if I was in the market to buy a new radio I'd rather pay a little more to get a brand new radio and not a refurbished one.I know a friend of mine who bought a cobra 2000 years ago from copper electronics and when he got it he hooked it up and it didn't even light up.I personaly myself bought a linear amplifier from h&y electronics a couple of years ago and when I got it and hooked it up it wouldn't even key up.I know money is hard to come by some times for some of us do your self a favor and buy one from some body else who isn't going to sell you a refurbished piece of junk.

I've done it for years, every radio i own is opened up (mars/cap) freeband ,whatever. i drive long distance and ill talk where ever i can find someone, FEMA didnt seem tp mind when my tm241 kenwood could talk on police freqs. when i was delivering hurricane ice and continued to help on the groung with my vx 5r!! I just bought a 2950dx hoping to use it on 12&10 more than i do on 11 but like i said its lonley out there !!!

A friend of mine ordered his 2950DX from copper and he was told it would have the 11 meter CB band in it as well as extra channels. So when he got it it had nothing done to it. He had to take it to a shop and have it done. Now as for me i ordered a new 2950DX from Redman CB shop and he told me he would put the 11 meter CB band in it and the extra channels. When i got it it had everything in it that he said he would do. So i would order it from Redman CB shop. He will do it for free.

2950dx and the 11 meter band

Good news and the bad news, there are two versions of this radio and one version has a blue dot on the back and you need the E-Chip to be able to work on the 11 meter band (Almost impossible to do the mod unless you are a REAL tech), the other version all you have to do is move a jumper and reset the radio and you can work from 26 Mhz to 32 Mhz.
I was unlucky enough to buy two of these (Blue Dot radios) and one I witnessed the difficult procedure of the conversion to 11 meters the other I didn't know someone who had the E-Chip so It was not modified I was out of luck.
I promptly sold it on E-Bay adding that it was only a 10 meter radio, nothing was mentioned about conversion to any other band, I'll bet some poor soul thought he was going to get a CB rig, nope, NOT this one!:headbang

Channel Guard

Thanks Highlander. I had the Mag 257, a great little rig but just got tired of it. I did not like the the channel/VFO setup. And I miss being able to scan memory channels. I have an old 2950 but it needs fixing, and I can't sell it on the bay, so I said screw it and just ordered a new one.

I have always loved the 2950 radios. Put a channel guard in them and they are awesome.

That is what I had suspected on the "E-Key" Thing. I went ahead and gave them their $30 bucks. I did the same on my magnum, all they did was move the jumper. It was off a bit and not perfectly aligned. But oh well, at least they are available!

Thanks guys!

What is a channel guard?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated