• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2990 Isuue

Raccoon

Oct 27, 2005
www.youtube.com
I have a friend with an RCI 2990 that has an issue which he can't figure out . So I thought I'd ask here , and see if anyone else might have any ideas as to what's going on with it .

He says that his 2990 works good on all the modes (AM,FM,USB & CW) like it should . But on Lower Sideband it has no receive ... it transmits fine on LSB , but it has no receive there.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this problem ??

D108.

It supplies power to the carrier oscillator in LSB receive.

Man you were Johnny on the spot with that one. That's great!

I have a collection of original RCI 2950/70s and if they take a dump beyond my ability then it's great to know there are some well versed, educated types around here

Reactions: Raccoon and NZ8N
It's a 2950 radio. Add an amplifier, bigger speaker, 2 analog meters and more knobs. The original power supply was suicidal. The regulator would fail and pump 20-plus Volts into the radio. Would typically croak the computer chip that you can't buy, and other stuff besides.

We won't work on one without upgrading the power supply to a chinese switchmode "brick". They contain protection from current overload and from over voltage.

One more protection issue is a fuse for the radio chassis. You wouldn't hook up a 5-Amp mobile radio to a 25-Amp power supply without a fuse, would you? That's what the factory sold you.

4hAhX1.jpg

This is the other mandatory upgrade for this model before we'll send it home.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.