• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2995 DX problem

Red eagle

Nov 6, 2016
Hello all.
Radio..... RCI 2995DX
Board.....EPT695015BR
PROBLEM......Modulation
In AM mode on the external meter the modulation swings backward. In USB and LSB it swings to 200 no problem. Just very low modulation on AM. It just barely makes a little ripple on the scope. Any help would be appreciated.

What is your voltage reading on the Mirror Board to Board ground....
upload_2020-4-8_19-3-21.png

If you find yourself with Low Modulation - make sure your AM side is reading like it should - no more that 5.6 volts. Measured between those two points - if it's higher STOP - you may have damage and if you keep keying it up it will DO some damage and get $$$ in the process...

If it's reading 12 volts or pretty much the Battery supply - then you may have a Damaged regulator or a Potentiometer opening up shoving full current into the Amp side of you voltage regulator of YOUR AM regulator.

upload_2020-4-8_19-10-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-8_19-2-43.png
    upload_2020-4-8_19-2-43.png
    557.7 KB · Views: 49
And you just have low Modulation...

What were you doing when you noticed this?

Referring to Mode - SSB or AM or FM?

You're voltage seems low, but acceptable, you need it low anyways for the Power level input of the amp.

What I'm asking is - what were you doing when it went bad?

You say the Audio sounds low, so does it sound Pinched? Fuzzy - Muffled can be interpreted as Pinched...

That means you have something going wrong in the RF Amp board.

To lose Modulation or develop weak modulation the problem may be in a Potentiometer that got turned the wrong way, or something in the audio path has gone bad - onto - losing one of the RF power parts in the Amp board.

You say SSB is 200 - 200 meaning what? 200% (mod? Or Wattage)

So getting 200 watts that rules out the Audio Path otherwise you could be having more a problem with the RF Amp power board.

But that 200 watts can also mean something in the AM Modulation AMC circuit - which then can be affecting the Driving level of AM modulation...which is why I asked about the Mirror Board voltage. If it skyrockets to 10 to 12 volts , there's your problem; the Regulator is on it's way out...
  • You Don't so - IT'S NOT - DON'T PANIC.
Then why affect the AMC?
  • This is more of how you were using it, or what you were doing with it scenario...
  • You may have been on SSB mode and un-keyed then the main PCB board got spiked from the RF emf kickback, which can happen. One too many cycles and poof, blown cap or a bad transistor from a blown Base Sense lead caused by the spike - I am only speculating.
  • Age of the radio plays a role in this too. I've only worked on a few of these radios and of the ones I worked with, they were more of a reversion back to stock so a lot of caps just got replaced for the sake of having them so old, that the main concern was to restore the radio to as much of it's original condition as possible - let other techs then decide what to do with their rework.
  • Pretty much simpler terms, the older the radio is, the more likely the Electrolytic caps are going to be the parts that show their age and inability to stay reliable.
  • Again an Age factor - the power supply itself can cause spikes and variations in the REGULATION part of this 12 volt power supply; the radio needs on top of supply a lot of current for the RF Amp board to even work - that too is a LINEAR power supply or, if converted, still has caps on the switching side - that do fail as they get older.
Considering the age of the board, (back to the Main PCB) it may mean you lost the Electrolytic cap - C260 a 100uF 16V for the AM regulator on top of - or even more Electrolytic caps are showing their age - so that means even more than one. And they are in the path the Mirror Board, as it feeds the Final and Driver on the Main PCB BEFORE it goes to the RF Amp board.

Why doesn't it affect SSB? well SSB is Pure DC to the Finals and RF Amp board, you're Audio starts way back at the Mic amp and goes from there. So you're not applying audio to the SSB signal anywhere in the chain - so we have to ask these "silly questions" to give you a better idea and possible ways to approach this problem.

So now I have an idea and the above are some suggestions on how to fix this or check into it further.

It's ok to PANIC now...

Reactions: NZ8N and snippits75
Thank you for you help Handy Andy. First let me shed a little more light on things here. I have a pretty nicely stocked bench with scope, Sencore CB42, freq counters and all the goodies. Now more about the radio, switch installed to turn amp off so I'm testing with the amp off. In AM mode and RF power turned to high the radio dead keys 5 watts and swings backwards to 4.5 watts when I audio into the Mic. With the amp turned off and radio in USB or LSB mode and a simple audio into the Mic my meter swings up to about 25 or 26 watts. I have already changed c260 and no change at all in performance. VR17 has no effect on AM modulation reading on the meter. I did check and adjust the bias according to the factory service manual as well. The problem has been a intermittent problem and suddenly decided it wanted to be a full time problem now.

Does the voltage at the mirror board drop while modulating the radio in AM mode? it should stay solid and/or increase with modulation.

(Work with OT 03 - I've gotta' run some chores - XYL wants to restock pantry...)

Else - if all else fails...here's my thoughts...

To take this to the next level...

I'm presuming you have TR42 working...

If it's bee removed, then the other scenario of AM Regulator on to the Final And Driver are possibly a bad cap...

VR17 acting like it's disabled means the TR42 (Limiter) chain is also affected...

Does VR14 work at all? (ALC)

C166, C167 and C168 affect AMC AND ALC - C168 is a 10uF by Q41 - comes right off of the Power Feed from the main 8V regulator (A473)

C166 and C167 are part of the "Mic amp Limiter chain" that is by the Mic Amp itself.

Now if you find the AMC and ALC are NOT working - then let's stay with the TR42 mess and see if you have a failed cap somewhere in the chain - no longer blocking DC but mixing Audio and DC together forcing TR42 to turn on nearly all the time - the SSB side? Not as much.

If C166 is bad it "lags" the AMC/ALC response you can lose the "Crispness" of the audio - that is a pass filter that prevents "popping" when in TX - C167 and C168 are different - if they go bad, you get "overmod" or depending on which cap - Muddy Mod - caused by the cap "shorting out" and pumping TR42 Limiter with modulation - not an RMS "general" signal which the network it's part of - is supposed to do.

One last possible scenario - and I would not know unless I have it here in front of me...

Bias for both The MODE and The RF AMP...

In the Main PCB - there is a filter cap C308 a 10uF on the BIAS line for the Driver and final. If that has goen bad, so does the Bias - you'll get "Choppy" sounding SSB - won't "rise up" linearly - it'll tend to cut off your words if the Bias is flat...so you should measure the Bias on Driver and Final.

RF amp uses a regulator transistor to bias the amp - if that has gone bad, it would affect AM more than SSB, but would get VERY HOT back there - because it's now sending nearly full voltage to it

What little audio it produces sounds good on another radio that is close by. The problem is that there is no swing to it. The only swing I see on the meter in AM mode is only about half a watt and it swings backwards from 5 watts dead key back to 4.5 when I audio into the Mic.

Ok, got some chores done so before I keel over from Covid or just plain bad taste...

There was some other stuff I was looking into too...

Then you responded...
What little audio it produces sounds good on another radio that is close by.

There is still a "Pi filter" network back there - it may take your scope to help find the culprit - it deals with knowing if you have MOSFET finals or do you have the Bi-polar ones.

IF you have Bi-polar - reset your Bias check the Pi Filter and look at replacing some of the network caps.

IF you have MOSFET - pretty much the same idea but you'll also need to recheck your mA settings on the Driver and Final...

IT may be something just got bumped...onto a Bias diode getting flakey...

I'd be looking for heat too - and recheck your AM carrier - if that hasn't changed good, if it's gone down - then let's check Bias and rule that one out first...

I checked bias on it this morning and made adjustments according to the manual. I will check again to be sure. It does have the IRF520 mosfets in it and I know for sure they are good. The only thing I'm not certain of is the 2314 driverbeen replacing caps and checking voltages at points you suggested. The only thing I have found so far is Q43 is missing. I don't like that it has been removed but the radio had good swing or modulation before with it missing so I don't see that being the problem

I checked bias on it this morning and made adjustments according to the manual. I will check again to be sure. It does have the IRF520 mosfets in it and I know for sure they are good. The only thing I'm not certain of is the 2314 driverbeen replacing caps and checking voltages at points you suggested. The only thing I have found so far is Q43 is missing. I don't like that it has been removed but the radio had good swing or modulation before with it missing so I don't see that being the problem
Did you ever check to see if the collector voltage was dropping at the mirror board when trying to modulate the radio.

Voltage on mirror board at in rx in AM mode is 4.51 volts. Voltage on mirror board at dead key is 4.38 and stays at 4.38 when audioing into mic.

As a side note, you may want to check the voltage output from the pwr supply. I've seen this a few times: people will turn up the voltage output from the supply up to 13.8v. Problem is, under a load ('transmit'), the power supply voltage will collapse. If so; then turn it down to 13v and see if the power supply still has a stable voltage.

Some of the power supplies that the mfr put in these radio are just sub par. Often people will take out the stock supply and replace it with a 30 amp Meanwell switching supply. The Meanwells are not your standard cut of noisy switching supplies, they have clean, steady output and generate little to no self-noise.

Just an FYI from an ex-owner of a 2995 DX . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N

Ok, looks like progress here...

Well I mean the list of things I was thinking of is growing shorter so, yes, THAT list is getting smaller...

Ahemn...the looming question is Why mention the Driver? The 2314 - Well, it is part of the TX stage, but didn't you say the Radio had MOSFET final and DRIVER in it?

Ok, this changes a few things...

Because if the 2314 - which is part of the PREDRIVER portion of the TX strip - You have 2 already using Collector Modulation - the Pre-driver stage - hmmm...Ok, was this replaced before?

Ok here's why I'm asking ...

The 2995 is a transitional board meaning it uses up parts from one bin until they're gone and then you'll see parts that actually match to the schematic. The older parts from earlier boards will work and seem to even have the same pinouts but that doesn't mean they are all made the same.

When you lose or someone has removed Q43 (Limiter AMP) and you say it didn't matter - well, flame me but I think that part of this problem is the age of the radio is catching up to itself and parts are getting weaker from the strain of previous work that is hindering it's ability to perform let alone stay working from the missing parts that needed to be in there...

Too late now let's see if we can still recover from this...

So with that being said, I'd like to see or know - if your Sencore can help us by looking into (or out of) what the Predriver stage is doing.

upload_2020-4-9_18-53-27.png

If it produces too much output - the Squeezing in to the Carrier that the previous two stages are trying to shove in there and Audio with Bias being combined together generates a flat topping event - you'd see that at the output of the Driver INTO the final - and the flattopping causes the backwards swing you're experiencing...

Another approach to this - deals with too little of power coming out of the Predriver stages and then CANNOT mix well with the carrier - it gets overpowered by the Audio and Bias present at the "Drain" (Collector) side of things so it loses power because the frequency mixing puts most of the signal in band it's supposed to be, but it will produce spurries from the clashing of the two levels. One being Carrier the other is the Modulation level in cutoff...so it too, loses power and shows backwards swing...

The only other thing that may be wrong here, and so far you've told us no, is with the AM regulator - did you check the Power supply voltage? If its' like what Robb said earlier - then we can rule it out - but if the power supply is sagging or needs a new cap or two - you'll have the power appear like it's falling - per Robbs' suggestion.
  • Again, if you have had work done in there - they may have Hybridized the board to maximize one set of attributes and now we are seeing the age of the radio catching up to that.
  • SEE THE GREEN BOX AND ARROW? There may be a cap in there - Electrolytic or Tantalum that may have failed or is in the process of doing so - this is by far the easiest of the scenarios because if the radios been modded - the potential for Squeals is ever present - they would need to install something of a smoothing cap in there to handle this...just replace it.
That would be easier to fix - than if a cap in the power supply was weak and starting to head south - that would pull down the voltage as current rose - but we don't see that in the "Steady state" the Mirror board is---but that DOES NOT mean that it is 100% good - we still have to look further. That means to check the INPUT power to the main PCB and keep the AMP off for now - if the voltage sags even running simple 4~5watts of power on AM and the SSB side is showing 26Watts
  • - well does the voltage sag at the power supply low enough to show a drop of 10~20%???
  • or does it show it drops down to about 10 volts at times?
  • If not - skip this ...
    • Else, then we have a weak power supply and the Regulator being what it is - is trying to work with what it has - regulating with NEGATIVE swing due to that loss.
If the POWER SUPPLY seems ok...then the only other issue which seems odd to have it happen now versus earlier...

What we have to fix, is the Admittance...

So again I ask, if you have work in there from someone else we need to know - else I can only take you so far and then someone else will have to take on this challenge.

Reactions: James2020 and Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.