• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rci 2995 dxcf hardware upgrades questions

SteveSteve

Jul 2, 2020
Upgrade thoughts on rci 2995 dxcf
I'm thinking about buying a new one at Truck CB sales.
They offer upgrades,like most of these types of places. Normally I don't really believe in peak and tune upgrades, but they offer hardware upgrades as well. They offer upgrading the mosfet finals to ERF 2030+ finals, and also upgrading the stock am voltage regulator to a Toshiba AM regulator.
Any thoughts on these changes? Im mostly a ssb user and I keep my antenna tuned well for swr. I also plan on adding a relay later to run an HF style of amp.
Thanks for any input about any of what I just wrote
999,BC, Canada

To raise signal on the other end you must increase power 4x. Does finals upgrade offer 6dB more? No.
AM regulator replace you can diy when it fail, it is 5$ part, usually working fine.
And most important.
For 900$ you can buy radio, which will outperform that junk light years ahead. It's just CB with all it's flaws.

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
To raise signal on the other end you must increase power 4x. Does finals upgrade offer 6dB more? No.
AM regulator replace you can diy when it fail, it is 5$ part, usually working fine.
I really appreciate your answer. I guess I wasnt too clear in my posting about changing mosfets. I'm not coming at this with idea of increasing output power at all. It's more about are they more robust and able to take a higher swr. Not that I plan on having swr issue, but Ive heard the stock mosfets can be not too forgiving. I also intend to run a hf amp, something like a fl 2100 or similiar. So during tuning of amp, if swr might be higher between radio and amp momentarily, I dont want blown mosfets etc. Hopefully this makes sense. Im no tech obviously, I just want a solid performaning radio. I realize too that an hf rig is a better choice over the 2995, I already have a Yaesu ftdx 3000 that I enjoy. There are times I just want to use a simpler radio on 11m, such as the rci
Again,thank you for your input

If during amp tune SWR changes between amp and radio it is crap design. Stay away.
I had a few tube amps, none changed SWR on radio side. Ever.
Ok, that is good to know. I guess I was incorrectly theorizing about the swr issue.
Preesh

That is a fine radio and I own the exact same one. I don't normally agree with the mantra on here "buy a ham radio" its a once size solution that doesn't always work. I think your looking for a respone to your 2995 query which I will attempt to answer as a owner. I would keep your money those upgrades are not worth the money.

If anything have a competent tech check the tuning of the radio and make sure it meets specifications sometimes from the factory a setting may not be optimized.

I've had my 2995dxcf for about a year, mine just has a normal tune, none of the "power tune" malarkey. I think this "power tunes" or "godzilla super talker tunes" are part of the reason you read people complaining about popped FETs.

I added a nice amplified shure desk mic and a little amp to get me a 100 watt dk carrier. I have a nice no nonsense loud, clean clear radio and I use it on SSB and AM.

That is a fine radio and I own the exact same one. I don't normally agree with the mantra on here "buy a ham radio" its a once size solution that doesn't always work. I think your looking for a respone to your 2995 query which I will attempt to answer as a owner. I would keep your money those upgrades are not worth the money.

If anything have a competent tech check the tuning of the radio and make sure it meets specifications sometimes from the factory a setting may not be optimized.

I've had my 2995dxcf for about a year, mine just has a normal tune, none of the "power tune" malarkey. I think this "power tunes" or "godzilla super talker tunes" are part of the reason you read people complaining about popped FETs.

I added a nice amplified shure desk mic and a little amp to get me a 100 watt dk carrier. I have a nice no nonsense loud, clean clear radio and I use it on SSB and AM.
Good information, I appreciate you taking the time. As I wrote earlier, I have an hf radio, Ive had many through the years. Ive been playing with radios since mid 70's, I am not a rank beginner like perhaps I might have come across as.
As I wrote, there's times I just want to use a simple radio geared towards 11m. I have a 955 Stryker Im using now that I have sounding great on ssb, Id just like something in a base station platform. It doesn't need huge wattage output, but enough to drive a hf linear. My concern with the 2995dxcf (besides huge price tag) is mostly about their reputation for having a fairly noisy receiver, similar to my Stryker 955 for white noise.
I just wanted to see input about changing out mosfets as this is something I dont know much about, and it is offered at truckscbsales, where I was considering buying from. Mostly because it seems they ship to Canada and their price is lower than a lot of the other places.
Again, thanks for your input

Reactions: RidgeRunner260
Good information, I appreciate you taking the time. As I wrote earlier, I have an hf radio, Ive had many through the years. Ive been playing with radios since mid 70's, I am not a rank beginner like perhaps I might have come across as.
As I wrote, there's times I just want to use a simple radio geared towards 11m. I have a 955 Stryker Im using now that I have sounding great on ssb, Id just like something in a base station platform. It doesn't need huge wattage output, but enough to drive a hf linear. My concern with the 2995dxcf (besides huge price tag) is mostly about their reputation for having a fairly noisy receiver, similar to my Stryker 955 for white noise.
I just wanted to see input about changing out mosfets as this is something I dont know much about, and it is offered at truckscbsales, where I was considering buying from. Mostly because it seems they ship to Canada and their price is lower than a lot of the other places.
Trust me. Don't do it. Spend that money on a used Yaesu ftdx1200 or any other Yaesu Icom or Kenwood.

Reactions: sp5it
Good evening, just to put my 2 cents in, I have and use a Ranger 2995 DXCF with a Delta M2 desk mic, and a NOS radio shack DSP amplified External Speaker,hooked up to a antron 99 on top of the roof,I have had mine for almost a year,never had any problems with it, mine came included with a Regular Peak and Converted when I bought it,yes they are pricey,but they are a Simple radio to use on 11 meters I feel,and they are Rock solid on SSB,not like the older Galaxy Saturn that I had back in the 90s as it tended to drift from time to time,I enjoy talking on mine,and for me it's enough radio,do your research,ask for suggestions,but in the end,buy what you feel comfortable buying,jmo,hope it helps!

Last edited:
I also have a 2995 DXCF that I have had for about 5 ~ 6 years.
The radio as it comes with a proper alignment tuneup is the best.
The ERF2030's are not an upgrade in my opinion. I have used those mofet's in a few radios, and I DO NOT LIKE them.......
The IRF 520's that come in the 2995's (if that is what they still use) are very robust, including in the amplifier section.
I use an old school Turner +2 SSB desk microphone with mine.
My 2 cents ........

I also have a 2995 DXCF that I have had for about 5 ~ 6 years.
The radio as it comes with a proper alignment tuneup is the best.
The ERF2030's are not an upgrade in my opinion. I have used those mofet's in a few radios, and I DO NOT LIKE them.......
The IRF 520's that come in the 2995's (if that is what they still use) are very robust, including in the amplifier section.
I use an old school Turner +2 SSB desk microphone with mine.
My 2 cents ........
I love those Turner +2 SSB Mike's,had one Year's ago,if I remember correctly it was the older models of the 2995 that used the 520s I believe,I know that the newest& latest version which I have now ,use the mofets now!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated