1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

RCI 2995DX CF Hi - Low power switch

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Modifications' started by Crambone, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Crambone

Crambone Active Member

so im looking for the mod to turn the amp off on the 2995DX CF. It’s my understanding a switch can be put in but I can’t find any info on it.

2. 999

999 Well-Known Member

3. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Ah, the dreaded "suicide switch". Sooner or later you'll key the mike into your low-drive amplifier and THEN discover the switch is in HIGH side position.

Generally not pretty.

[​IMG]

Here's what one customer wanted to prevent this from happening. Said he never uses the headphone jack. Now it's a High-Side status light.

[​IMG]

Just shoved the 5mm LED into the headphone jack from inside.

[​IMG]

You'll need a DPDT switch, one side to disable the amplifier, the other side for the LED.

[​IMG]

This guy hasn't been back with a blown amplifier section since.

4. Crambone

Crambone Active Member

Excellent idea, I never use headphones and don’t like holes.

5. Crambone

Crambone Active Member

So I’m looking inside the radio and I’m unsure we’re the brown and green wire are coming from? I have a green & yellow coming off J22 and going to the amp. The only brown I see comes from J5 and looks to be going to rec/12v jack on the back of the radio. Am I correct in thinking your using the brown to disconnect the fan and green breaks the ground going to the amp from J22?

6. Crambone

Crambone Active Member

After sticking a meter on it it looks like J5 Black is +DC and J22 Green is +DC?

7. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Ah, the brown and green wire are the side that turns the amplifier on and off.

At least one of those two wires was added to the radio, not a factory color.

Didn't think to mention that what the pic is meant to show is the two LED wires, not the amplifier-standby side. Wasn't trying to show how to shut off the linear.

Seems RCI likes to shuffle the colors of the two wires coming from 2-pin socket J22. It's located just to the front of the driver transistor. The pin on the side nearest the outer edge is ground. The hot wire that keys the amplifier is the inboard-side pin of J22.

Whatever color wire leads to that pin is the one you break with the switch to obtain barefoot operation.