• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2995DX Help?

204Phantom

Jan 18, 2021
Can't figure out what was done to this radio to make it swing 150 no matter how low the variable power is set. Does anyone have any ideas? Can't see any obvious mods. No diode/resistor changes or additions or anything that I can see. Radio is the newer green on black LCD screen with mosfets.

Looking to get control back over the max power out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Did you look on the bottom side of the board? That's typically a swing mod or NPC mod near the regulator. Top or bottom side. If it's not on the bottom side (should be obvious) it could be in a number of places on the top side where you might not see it depending on if they used SMT components or how they were mounted. Post some pics...

Look in this location for a diode and resistor around R292. One end will be attached between R292 and R258 and the other is either on the other side of R292 or straight to ground.
The yellow square is the transformer to help with locating the parts. The red rectangle is where the resistors are.2950DX swing mod location.jpg

Awesome...thanks for the replies. I will post pics when I get back to the bench. And yes, its an smt board so its possible someone just did a really good job of part swapping/soldering. Also, there is nothing on the bottom side of the board but I'll check the resistor group pointed out.

Thanks again, will post back.

Looks like right there to me but it’s been a minute since I’ve looked inside one. View attachment 44407
I agree with Porkchop. The transistor he circled around the 8 pin mic preamp chip, has been lifted. If you look just above that and to the right of C166, you'll see another just like it. They may have lifted two, in order to defeat the AMC and the ALC. They are responsible for limiting the peaks and without them, the radio will swing to full power.

When you're not happy with any setting of the AMC potentiometer, the answer is NOT to defeat the circuit. Simply adjust resistor values to provide the desired range without objectionable distortion.

Ahah...thank you both. I missed them completely...especially since they're a LOT smaller in real life. Now to see if I can find replacements since the one by C166 looks to have one of the legs clipped off completely...wth.

Thanks again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.