• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2995dx HP stingy signal meter

FIREMANTOM26

Mar 30, 2023
Hello,
I just received my radio and I noticed that the S-meter is very stingy. I was wondering if there is any adjustment for the meter

The fact that you ask this question tells us that you did not do a Google search for a schematic for this radio, with all of the information you need.

If this is a used radio it may need a proper alignment if the receive circuit has been tampered with, the "S" meter setting may be correct if the receive needs any adjustment. Sometimes a new radio may also need the receive circuit aligned. If you feel that the radio needs a "Receive Preamp" indicates a need for an alignment.

If you don't know what you are doing, it would be best to take it to someone (with the proper equipment and tools) who can align the radio properly.

The proper equipment should be used to align the "S" meter ..... or if you want ..... wherever you think it should be ..... which would be a mistake if it makes you happy.

This information came from the schematic for the radio board number EPT69501-1A dated Oct 30, 2001.
"S" meter settings:
VR1 is AM & FM
VR2 is SSB (USB & LSB)

This is a new unit. I would not think it would need aligned.

Ranger has not had a stellar record as of late with the QC leaving the factory.
If it is new, one option would be to contact the factory service shop, Superior CB in CA and ask Chris about checking the radio under warranty.
Being in Ohio you would have to ship it to him...
Or just twiddle the VR's.
You need a signal generator to do it properly following the procedure in the service manual.
What do you base the "Stingy" result on?

Jeff

As Dr.Frankenstein says above, it may not be that the meter is reading low, but rather that the receive alignment is out and it's not receiving to spec. It is a Ranger after all.

Oh well RX/TX is fine so maybe one day I could get it adjusted or aligned.
It will cost a fortune to ship that radio to Superior cb. Two years ago I sent two Magnum radio’s out there, the work was great but from Indiana it was 74 bucks each way.
You might consider Doug at Custom cb radios, he’s in southern Indiana and does top notch work. You might even be able to make it a road trip.

OR contact the company you bought it from and tell them whats up.
Worth a try but if you read the "fine print" for most cb shops you will see that they refer all warranty work to the factory authorized repair shop. In this case I think it's just out of alignment though.

Firemantom, where did you buy the radio? Did you get a factory stock radio and convert it yourself or did you pay for a conversion/tune?

It was tuned and ready.

It seems like the needle has loosened up a little. I have had seen some that have made it past the 9 mark.

Assuming it is tuned as you say...

Just turn up VR1 (AM) and VR2 (SSB) until you like what the meter tells you. Wait for a station with a consistent signal level and match it to what your other radios say.

The alternative is to connect a 50uV (-73dBm into 50Ω) RF signal source to the antenna jack and then adjust those same pots until the needle reads S9. If you don't have the ability to accurately generate a -73dBm signal at 27MHz, you will be paying someone to do it for you.

But ask yourself this before you do. If the guy who so professionally aligned the radio cannot do something as simple as a meter alignment at the same time, how confident are you in the RF alignment?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.