• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-3900HP Review & Initial Impressions

CTStallion

Aug 29, 2010
Connecticut
Just picked up a new Ranger RCI-3900HP AM/FM/CW/SSB dual (MOSFET) final radio this weekend & have been playing around & modding it. Here are my initial impressions:

Out of the box performance is DISMAL (at best). Review can be found here: YouTube - RCI 3900HP Review It was off freq and not powered up.

The rig is similar to a Galaxy DX-77HML & uses the EPT3600 board (so most OLD Galaxy Mods will work on it.)

Here's what I have gathered thus far on the radio:

EPT360015C BOARD
PREDRIVER = 2SC2314 1.8W device
DRIVER = IRF520 MOSFET
FINALS = DUAL IRF520 MOSFETS

VR POTS:
VR1 = AM/FM S-METER
VR2 = SSB S-METER
VR3 = SSB SQUELCH
VR4 = AM/FM SQUELCH
VR5 = FM DEVIATION
VR7 = SSB CARRIER BALANCE
VR8 = RF METER
VR10 = FINAL BIAS
VR11 = DRIVER BIAS
VR12 = SSB ALC
VR13 = AM/FM POWER
VR14 = AM MODULATION AMC
VR20 = FINAL BIAS

MODULATION LIMITER = TR32 (2SC945), which will disable AMC PLUS ALC, so you will lose L/M/H on SSB. Therefore, you should NOT remove this limiter, merely clip R249 for AMC only.

ROGER BEEP - like the 'old school' SS-3900's, the Roger Beep is ALWAYS ON. To disable, clip J9 jumper, or add a SPST switch to make it switchable.

RX RF AMPLIFIER - this radio already comes with a low noise / moderate gain device (2SC2876) in the TR17 slot. The 2SC2876 is a 3 dB noise / 22 dB gain device.) There is only slight benefit to upgrading to a 2SC2999 (2.2 DB noise / 28 dB gain) device. I DID change it to a 2999, and (after realignment) only noticed marginal improvement. Selectivity, which isn't all that good on this radio to begin with, may even SUFFER from the additional gain. Too soon to tell..... will keep you posted.

STOCK MIC - Another benefit of this radio is the fact that it comes with a Ranger SRA-158-4H stock mic, which is highly rated here: Texas Ranger SRA-158 Microphone Review

CHANNELS: In the box with the mic comes a programming KEY which must be installed (just like the RCI-2950DX Blue Dot). Locate the programming module and plug into the socket next to IC2. Locate the adjacent JP3 and temporarily short the pins of JP3 while powering the radio on. This will cause the programming module to write the data to the CPU chip. After installing the module, you get 6 banks of 40 channels, for a freq coverage of 26.615 - 28.305 MHz.

10KC Switch: non existant in this radio.

Clarifier: Coarse clarifer is UNLOCKED, and tracks transmit. Fine clarifer is LOCKED, and works on RX only. Once you align the radio on AM, USB and LSB for the center detente of the coarse, as long as you don't have any severe temp swings, you should be fine. IS THERE A MOD FOR THE FINE CLARIFIER ON THIS RADIO YET???

Modulation / Voltage Power Amplifier: Rig comes with the 2SB827 (60W) replacement for the 2SB754 as TR51. First thing I did was change this to a 100W device: 2SB817

AM AF Amplifier: Rig comes with the 2SA1869 transistor in the TR50 slot. I changed mine to a 2SA1012 (NTE153 is also acceptable).

AM Product Detector Diodes: D23 & D24 are 1N60 silicon germainium diodes. I changed mine to Schottky 1N5711, but you may use NTE583 or equivalents.

Noise Blanker Diodes: For this radio, the NB diodes are D1 & D2, just like the EPT6900 chassis. They come from factory as germainium. I changed mine to 1N5711, but you may use NTE583 or equivalent.

Super Ears: I didn't perform this mod on the radio because I'll be running it mobile, but you may lift the BANDED END of diode D7, and install a 1.5K resistor to the vacant board slot where u lifted the diode. This will give you an EXTREME gain in you receiver with little background noise (especially on AM), but makes the rig EXTREMELY VUNERABLE TO RF OVERLOAD / DAMAGE. In fact, if you DO perform this mod, along with the gain obtained from the 2SC2999, you will have to keep the RF gain at 1/2 position (or lower). You will still be vunerable. Better left alone, or with a switchable mod, or for base station use only.

NPC-RC: There are two ways of doing this: First one is with R238. Lift the right leg of R238 (as you are looking at the radio, component side up and front of radio toward you) and install a 1N4001 (or equivalent) switching diode in series with the lifted resistor. This will allow you to lower the dead key and still have full swing capability of the radio on AM, to the limits of the AMC. If you removed TR32, even in LOW power mode, on AM radio will modulate to the maximum limits of the radio. I KEPT TR32 INTACT.

Method 2 of NPC-RC (formerly known as the M.C. Turner Super-Swing Mod) is installing a 1N914 diode in series with a 50 ohm resistor and paralleling this across the center terminal of the newly installed 2SB817 to the other side of the audio circuit. I didn't try this on THIS particular radio, but I have used it in the past with 2SC1969 rigs. I'm not quite sure the MOSFETS could take the abuse, so I didn't try this. DON'T DO BOTH mods, as it won't work.

Performance after modification:

AM/FM DEADKEY L/M/H: 3 / 7 / 13 watts
AM RMS SWING WATTS L/M/H: 6 / 12 / 13 watts
AM PEAK SWING WATTS at 100% Modulation L/M/H: 35 / 50 / 50 watts
SSB PEP WATTS (two tone test) L/M/H: with TR32 intact and ALC adjusted for max: 6 / 15 / 40 watts SSB PEP
SSB PEP WATTS (two tone test) L/M/H: with TR32 removed (completely bypasses ALC <and AMC> circuitry: 50+ watts SSB PEP (but flattopping occurs). So, because I like to operate SSB, and I am using a Road Devil noise cancelling power mike, I reinstalled TR32.

Frequency Drift and Stability: no worse than my DX-949, or other Galaxy chassis radios I've used. Once it warms up, it's pretty good; only needs occasional adjustment after heavy use.

PROS / CONS (Likes & Dislikes):

- Looks, ergonomics, display are flawless. Easier to operate (especially MOBILE) than DX-949, 99V, 959, 2950's, etc.
- Built in Connex echo board with switchable talk-back feature make set up and use easy.
- L/M/H Power settings make hook up to any high or low drive amp a breeze. I have mine set up for use in the M power position on AM barefoot, and H pwr for SSB use. I use it in the L position for my low drive TX-250 (2X1446) amp. I set it up in the H position to drive my Super Cobra 677HD (4 X 2SC2879) amp for high drive.
- The fact that it has CW, (morse code) makes it a 'true' ham rig IMHO, lol;) I actually used to use my old SS3900GHP on cw with a keyer. Worked every bit as good as my 2950, albeit it's a 'channelized' radio
- SWR feature doesn't require calibration (like Cobra rigs)
- MOSFET Power: these dual finals are capable of 50+ watts all day long. Because I want mine to 'last' it is tuned down somewhat.
- RX Sensitivity: either WITH or WITHOUT the 2SC2999, this thing has ears!
- AM Transmitted Audio: At least as good as a General Lee or a General Washington (they share the same board after all), this thing is an AM AUDIO MONSTER when properly set up.

DISLIKES:
- No 10KC switch. Is there a MOD for this?
- Lotsa feedback with the Talkback, especially when using a power mic, unless you turn down the gain.
- Damn PERMANENT Roger Beep, unless you cut J9. They should've made it switchable like the DX77HML
- SSB needed alignment right out of the box. This I would've expected from Galaxy, but RANGER??? I guess there's a shortage of frequency counters in Malaysia hihi.
- Selectivity is NOT as good as a Cobra 148GTL or Texas Ranger TR-296, and slightly worse than a DX-949 or DX-959 chassis. I was mobile on channel 19 AM, and could hear splatter from local KW mobiles on Superbowl AM channel 6. (another reason NOT to perform the 'SuperEars' mod on this radio chassis)

OVERALL:

I think it's IDEAL for the mobile due to the fact that it LOOKS like a standard CB it may be less likely to get stolen. Also, because I live in the North East, I'm always afraid that LCD displays will FREEZE in the winter. (This thing has LED). It absolutely BOOMS on the AM side, and is quite acceptable for SSB once aligned & up to temperature. Variable (switchable) output power levels make it suitable for a variety of applications, high drive, low drive or barefoot. It's easy to use, and quite stylish (if you like 'Old School' looking radios.) The built-in echo board with talk back give the rig a 'fun factor' lacking in 2950's, 2510/2600/Lincoln's. The circuit design does NOT stress the dual MOSFET finals to their limits, and properly adjusted, should provide trouble-free use for some time to come.

Anybody know how to further increase the freq coverage BEYOND the 28.305 limitation of the existing key chip (like the old 3900's were capable of)??? Also, anybody know how to add a 10KC switch to this rig??? Lastly, unlockiing the FINE clarifier adjustment???

well i own the [orignal] superstar3900 with a single 1969 final .
and far as ssb is concerned it useless unless its 80 degrees
or warmer/ any colder than that your constanly chasing the clarifer.
i was hoping ranger improved this radio .im glad to see the rf power
works on ssb.could do without the echeo a 2018 extreme mic
sounds better than any galaxy/connex type echeo ive heard
nice review thanks 4 posting

Nice review - well laid out with the modifications and such. I'd agree about the audio aspects of the radio on AM, they can sound really good.

I wouldn't recommend this radio for the person who uses SSB more than occasionally as they still drift in the mobile enough to be annoying, especially in the winter.

Nice review - well laid out with the modifications and such. I'd agree about the audio aspects of the radio on AM, they can sound really good.

I wouldn't recommend this radio for the person who uses SSB more than occasionally as they still drift in the mobile enough to be annoying, especially in the winter.

i agree i got the orignal 3900 by superstar its a p.o.s. as far as using
ssb in the winter in mobile

yes they drift...hehe

i ran a ss3900 and a ss360....driffed worse thasn a siltronix or drake...hehe,had to have it under the dash by the heater in car...i was glad when they brought out the ar3300 and ar3500,then went to rci2950s...73s de n0zna/John

is it possible to convert it to a single clarifer like a ranger 696fd1 or 148/grant
in hopes to cure the drifting issues.i like this style of radio however i love
the ssb performance of a 2950

Nice looking radio, i quite fancy one as it has one benefit the european CRT ss3900 el doesn't have and that is no el backlighting howling like a banshee. i've always preferred radios with black fascias as they don't seem to get marked as easily as silver ones and generally look better anyway.

biggest plus is no faggoty blue display, which is the first and only mod i'd do to the european blue versions, wtf is that all about, there was nothing wrong with red displays, did ranger get a cheap job lot of blue led's or something????

one drawback is the lack of +10 khz though, wtf are ranger thinking about fitting talkback instead of +10 khz.auto swr meter is a nice touch freeing up the first 3 position switch for l,m,h power, another problem the european version has with the old style swr meter.

thankfully we don't use AM here anymore, so i wouldn't be tempted to do any swing mods, but would seriously be doing a tune up as out the box they are generally about 1khz off on SSB and as you say will benefit from the rx being peaked for 11m.

ain't seen an export cb yet that doesn't drift on warm up.seems the ones that have more swing on the kc shift/coarse tune seem to drift worse than those with less swing, possibly down to the load capacitance of the oscillator crystals used, anyway once they warm up they are generally stable enough, even for ssb use.

p.s. n0nza "they" as in ranger rci didn't make the ranger ar3300/3500, it was made by nissei in japan for sam lewis snr of rf limited.

i have the orignal 3900 by superstar. [see my signature] in the mobile
or base if its less than 70 degrees it drifts weather the radio warmed up
or not. seems im constantly adjusting it as it warms up. this is done on a
20 mile drive to work everyday.than once its cold after work i gotta turn
course back to were i orginally started at. then slowly work it to the right
again. this is MORE than a warm up time.my grant xl and 148 doesnt do this
but then i like having the extra freq.

i have the orignal 3900 by superstar. [see my signature] in the mobile
or base if its less than 70 degrees it drifts weather the radio warmed up
or not. seems im constantly adjusting it as it warms up. this is done on a
20 mile drive to work everyday.than once its cold after work i gotta turn
course back to were i orginally started at. then slowly work it to the right
again. this is MORE than a warm up time.my grant xl and 148 doesnt do this
but then i like having the extra freq.

it's not outwith possibility your vehicle or your radio's (especially if peaked out) voltage regulation is none too clever,which could cause drift too.i've had about 8 or 9 different ss3900's of many different board types,and while they all drifted by about 1 khz from cold to warm,they all became pretty stable once warmed.

they do seem to be very sensitive to temperature though,i've noticed if i align them in a cold room then put the central heating on it ain't long before the radio has drifted.in a climate as cold as scotland that can be a fair few degrees change.

i'd consider 30 mins to an hour (what i leave them for before alignment) adequate warm up time,not sure how fast you drive,but even at 40mph a 20 mile journey is at the lower end of warm up.

it has to be said though that for the money they are reasonable radios, ideal for someone to take their first steps on 11m SSB.sure its no hf set and their is plenty more stable 11m sets but i've never had any major problems on ssb with them be it homebased or mobile.

here in the uk the ss3900 new is only marginally dearer than many higher end uk 40 ch sets. so for what it offers extra its a real bargain in my opinion. the fact it covers all 40 uk channels and all forty fcc channels plus many others and has SSB capability make it a no brainer.

adding a +10 khz should be a straight forward case of controlling the logic on the unused carry in pin of the mc14008bcp/cd4008 binary adder.on the other adder the carry in pin is used.

Just picked up a new Ranger RCI-3900HP AM/FM/CW/SSB dual (MOSFET) final radio this weekend & have been playing around & modding it. Here are my initial impressions:

Out of the box performance is DISMAL (at best). Review can be found here: YouTube - RCI 3900HP Review It was off freq and not powered up.

The rig is similar to a Galaxy DX-77HML & uses the EPT3600 board (so most OLD Galaxy Mods will work on it.)

Here's what I have gathered thus far on the radio:

EPT360015C BOARD
PREDRIVER = 2SC2314 1.8W device
DRIVER = IRF520 MOSFET
FINALS = DUAL IRF520 MOSFETS

VR POTS:
VR1 = AM/FM S-METER
VR2 = SSB S-METER
VR3 = SSB SQUELCH
VR4 = AM/FM SQUELCH
VR5 = FM DEVIATION
VR7 = SSB CARRIER BALANCE
VR8 = RF METER
VR10 = FINAL BIAS
VR11 = DRIVER BIAS
VR12 = SSB ALC
VR13 = AM/FM POWER
VR14 = AM MODULATION AMC
VR20 = FINAL BIAS

MODULATION LIMITER = TR32 (2SC945), which will disable AMC PLUS ALC, so you will lose L/M/H on SSB. Therefore, you should NOT remove this limiter, merely clip R249 for AMC only.

ROGER BEEP - like the 'old school' SS-3900's, the Roger Beep is ALWAYS ON. To disable, clip J9 jumper, or add a SPST switch to make it switchable.

RX RF AMPLIFIER - this radio already comes with a low noise / moderate gain device (2SC2876) in the TR17 slot. The 2SC2876 is a 3 dB noise / 22 dB gain device.) There is only slight benefit to upgrading to a 2SC2999 (2.2 DB noise / 28 dB gain) device. I DID change it to a 2999, and (after realignment) only noticed marginal improvement. Selectivity, which isn't all that good on this radio to begin with, may even SUFFER from the additional gain. Too soon to tell..... will keep you posted.

STOCK MIC - Another benefit of this radio is the fact that it comes with a Ranger SRA-158-4H stock mic, which is highly rated here: Texas Ranger SRA-158 Microphone Review

CHANNELS: In the box with the mic comes a programming KEY which must be installed (just like the RCI-2950DX Blue Dot). Locate the programming module and plug into the socket next to IC2. Locate the adjacent JP3 and temporarily short the pins of JP3 while powering the radio on. This will cause the programming module to write the data to the CPU chip. After installing the module, you get 6 banks of 40 channels, for a freq coverage of 26.615 - 28.305 MHz.

10KC Switch: non existant in this radio.

Clarifier: Coarse clarifer is UNLOCKED, and tracks transmit. Fine clarifer is LOCKED, and works on RX only. Once you align the radio on AM, USB and LSB for the center detente of the coarse, as long as you don't have any severe temp swings, you should be fine. IS THERE A MOD FOR THE FINE CLARIFIER ON THIS RADIO YET???

Modulation / Voltage Power Amplifier: Rig comes with the 2SB827 (60W) replacement for the 2SB754 as TR51. First thing I did was change this to a 100W device: 2SB817

AM AF Amplifier: Rig comes with the 2SA1869 transistor in the TR50 slot. I changed mine to a 2SA1012 (NTE153 is also acceptable).

AM Product Detector Diodes: D23 & D24 are 1N60 silicon germainium diodes. I changed mine to Schottky 1N5711, but you may use NTE583 or equivalents.

Noise Blanker Diodes: For this radio, the NB diodes are D1 & D2, just like the EPT6900 chassis. They come from factory as germainium. I changed mine to 1N5711, but you may use NTE583 or equivalent.

Super Ears: I didn't perform this mod on the radio because I'll be running it mobile, but you may lift the BANDED END of diode D7, and install a 1.5K resistor to the vacant board slot where u lifted the diode. This will give you an EXTREME gain in you receiver with little background noise (especially on AM), but makes the rig EXTREMELY VUNERABLE TO RF OVERLOAD / DAMAGE. In fact, if you DO perform this mod, along with the gain obtained from the 2SC2999, you will have to keep the RF gain at 1/2 position (or lower). You will still be vunerable. Better left alone, or with a switchable mod, or for base station use only.

NPC-RC: There are two ways of doing this: First one is with R238. Lift the right leg of R238 (as you are looking at the radio, component side up and front of radio toward you) and install a 1N4001 (or equivalent) switching diode in series with the lifted resistor. This will allow you to lower the dead key and still have full swing capability of the radio on AM, to the limits of the AMC. If you removed TR32, even in LOW power mode, on AM radio will modulate to the maximum limits of the radio. I KEPT TR32 INTACT.

Method 2 of NPC-RC (formerly known as the M.C. Turner Super-Swing Mod) is installing a 1N914 diode in series with a 50 ohm resistor and paralleling this across the center terminal of the newly installed 2SB817 to the other side of the audio circuit. I didn't try this on THIS particular radio, but I have used it in the past with 2SC1969 rigs. I'm not quite sure the MOSFETS could take the abuse, so I didn't try this. DON'T DO BOTH mods, as it won't work.

Performance after modification:

AM/FM DEADKEY L/M/H: 3 / 7 / 13 watts
AM RMS SWING WATTS L/M/H: 6 / 12 / 13 watts
AM PEAK SWING WATTS at 100% Modulation L/M/H: 35 / 50 / 50 watts
SSB PEP WATTS (two tone test) L/M/H: with TR32 intact and ALC adjusted for max: 6 / 15 / 40 watts SSB PEP
SSB PEP WATTS (two tone test) L/M/H: with TR32 removed (completely bypasses ALC <and AMC> circuitry: 50+ watts SSB PEP (but flattopping occurs). So, because I like to operate SSB, and I am using a Road Devil noise cancelling power mike, I reinstalled TR32.

Frequency Drift and Stability: no worse than my DX-949, or other Galaxy chassis radios I've used. Once it warms up, it's pretty good; only needs occasional adjustment after heavy use.

PROS / CONS (Likes & Dislikes):

- Looks, ergonomics, display are flawless. Easier to operate (especially MOBILE) than DX-949, 99V, 959, 2950's, etc.

Anybody know how to further increase the freq coverage BEYOND the 28.305 limitation of the existing key chip (like the old 3900's were capable of)??? Also, anybody know how to add a 10KC switch to this rig??? Lastly, unlockiing the FINE clarifier adjustment???

ya id like to hear about more about the increase of freq.coverage .my 3900
is the same.i had a 10kc switch added on the ch.9 button,. u can use any switch
that you dont think you,ll need. or just put a toggle on the backside on exsisting
hole.i WOULDNT unlock the fine mines unlocked and i wished i hadnt i think
thats why mine drifts so bad.only changes 1-2 kcs at both ends anyways not
really worth it.

I own an RCI 3900 and it works SLICK!!!
I also own a magnum S9 and in comparison to the RCI 3900 the 3900 IMHo just seems to work better. I have a problem with the S9 reciever acting funky. The S meter will only show an s5 when my local buds key up(one guy is 10 miles from me and he usually give me a 9) and the meter adjust ment is set as high as it will go. But the guys on CH 6 peg the meter! Something doesnt add up here.

I own an RCI 3900 and it works SLICK!!!
I also own a magnum S9 and in comparison to the RCI 3900 the 3900 IMHo just seems to work better. I have a problem with the S9 reciever acting funky. The S meter will only show an s5 when my local buds key up(one guy is 10 miles from me and he usually give me a 9) and the meter adjust ment is set as high as it will go. But the guys on CH 6 peg the meter! Something doesnt add up here.

sounds like someones been dicking around with the RF or IF alignment of your s9, anytime i've seen a meter that didn't read properly (by other similar cb standards) it was always down to the radio needing realignment. Especially as you say others peg the meter. When realignment is necessary its common to see loads of very strong signals (due to the unaware tweaking the s meter VR to compensate for poor alignment),its also common to see loads of very weak signals at the same time, generally mid scale readings are non existant in this scenario.which if i'm not mistaken is exactly what your seeing.

the cure is obvious, a realignment back to service manual spec.

Ranger 3900hps,superstar3900s,all galaxy mobiles with ssb,mirage's with ssb, are worthless for use on ssb what I wanted know is why do these radio makers put ssb on there radios if they are not gonna be stable on ssb.I haven't seen a mobile radio yet with a dual clarifier that doesn't drift don't get me wrong there is a few with a single clarifier that will drift to.I'll stick with my stable ssb performers such as these hr2510s,hr2600s,lincolns,uniden 2830s,2950s,2970s,emperor ts5010s and ts3010s there is more I can't name them all these is just a few I would recommend for ssb stable operations.

I have one of these tuned by Al and it does okay on sideband once warmed up.

Yes, my 2510 is better on SSB, but ... this is a great, loud cb on am.

No, my fellow hammies will not like it on 10 meters unless I turn everything left, but that is okay.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.