• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI2990 sez "I'm melting, melllltiiiiing!

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
The RCI2990 should have a fuse no bigger than 4 or 5 Amps in the AC line fuse, right?

So what happens if you use a 20 Amp fuse? To start, insulation will melt from the heat of the transformer's wires.

6HaJco.jpg

In this case, it seems the two low-voltage secondary wires have melted together and shorted.

1H03nr.jpg

And these choke coils got pretty hot before the house breaker tripped.

The High Rupture Current fuse says 20 Amps. Leads me to suspect the house breaker was rated at 15 Amps. The fuse didn't trip.

No idea how this radio got to be this way to start. Now it has a chinesium switchmode brick. I have sold almost a dozen of this type transformer on Ebay. They started piling up. Didn't send them to the scrap yard. They don't bring a lot of money on fleabay, but at least they aren't going to the landfill.

This transfomer will be getting scrapped. Just don't trust it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated