• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Re-purpose your broken / old Radio Shack Discone into a 6 Meter Ground Plane.

ButtFuzz

Anti-BS Advocate ● WO0WOO ● Reverend Doctor
Aug 11, 2005
Sunny Salem, VA
robco.ath.cx
Bottom part: Remove every other radial. Leaving four evenly spaced radials.

Remove 6 meter 'topper' and hardware.

Remove radiating "disc" and set aside for later parts or toss. Mine was missing a lot of the prickly pear radiators.

Remove factory whip.

Disassemble loading coil... remove loading coil wire and replace with 18 gauge stranded wire, TWO coils/turns top to bottom over the loading coil bobbin. If you are very creative, you can twist and strip part of the existing coil wire and use that.

Replace factory whip with 48" stainless whip.

Re-assemble whip/loading coil assembly.

Screw that down into the base/ground/radial assembly.

Apply plasti-dip or liquid electrical tape on exposed non-stainless electrical components.

Let dry and get on the air.

discone001.jpg

When I re-assembled this, I added just a touch of Gorilla Glue to the threads on the assembly that screws down though the plastic insulator in the radial assembly. Why? Because this antenna is well over 10 years old and the sun and weather had severely softened the plastic threads...

The finished product:
discone002.jpg

Whole assembly is dang near 8 feet tall, so won't quite fit in the picture...
VSWR < 1.3 across the entire 6 Meter band.
Get on the air!

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.