• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Re work

Since your amplifier is still working fine the 1446 final is a great final. I would not mess with it. Even if you blow the pills I would still replace them with the same or the HG version.

Unless you have a good local amp guy your never money ahead swapping out to larger finals. There are other things that need changed and re-worked. As already stated the cut out in the board for the 1446 final is smaller then what's needed for a 2290 or 2879. Even more work would need done.

If you need MOPOWA I would sell it and just buy a bigger amplifier.

Since your amplifier is still working fine the 1446 final is a great final. I would not mess with it. Even if you blow the pills I would still replace them with the same or the HG version.

Unless you have a good local amp guy your never money ahead swapping out to larger finals. There are other things that need changed and re-worked. As already stated the cut out in the board for the 1446 final is smaller then what's needed for a 2290 or 2879. Even more work would need done.

If you need MOPOWA I would sell it and just buy a bigger amplifier.

Just be sure to replace them in matched sets or you will get some really weird things coming off of your antenna.

Reactions: Robb
I always had good luck with the original 1446s. I abused the snot out of them to the point they should have melted down....but didn’t.

Just my opinion, if you’re wanting a 2879 amp, I’d hold on to what you’ve got and wait for one to come along at the right price.

Funny note, in our local circle a couple decades ago 1446s earned the reputation as “modulation pills”. Folks started believing they were louder than Toshibas, and staring having drivers built around them.

Reactions: Pappas and Beer
1446s had a reputation for having more modulation than the 2879s but less swing than the 2290. Correct me if that was not the "rumor" during the early 2000s or do I have it backwards? Easily get 250 PEP with two of them.

Oops. You beat me to the punch. That was definitely the case in this area. True? I don’t believe so. But that was definitely the rumor.

I never really found them to be slouches either. Seems they’ll do 110w or so reliably...which ain’t bad.

Reactions: Pappas and Beer

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.