• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ready to pull the trigger on a Kenwood TS-440SAT why shouldnt I?

What's "shill bidding"?

It's where you or your cohort bid against your own item in order to raise the bid price. He probably had many different Ebay accounts to shill with.

I was a noob and bought a "mint" condition Kenwood TS-450 from him. When I opened the box I discovered a piece of shit radio that looked like it was pulled out of a junk drawer. Luckily, I won my PayPal claim including all shipping.

Naturally, I left neg feedback. About three months later he offered me $20.00 bucks if I revised my feedback. I told him to get lost and forwarded his bride to Ebay. I'm surprised this moron was allowed to keep his accont for so long.

Dude needs a good old fashioned ass whooping.

It's where you or your cohort bid against your own item in order to raise the bid price. He probably had many different Ebay accounts to shill with.

Also Google the name " Gottahaveit1995". This username has bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Radio Mart only to have the same item appear back on a Radio Mart auction within days. Obviously it was a shill bidder username for Radio Mart.

Romakdaddy, if you are a new ham I understand you wanting to get something to get out there. But I would really take my time shopping for a good rig because sometimes it's worth the wait. I would go on craigslist and search every state and every city looking for a Yaesu FT-101ZD. Saw some but at boutique prices. One day I was talking to a local, found out he had several and locked a 9/10 condition one for $250.00 with a Shure 444. Patience is a virtue and a dollar saver in my case. It can be for you too.

3's

No reply from romokdaddy...offer removed
All the Best
Gary(BJ) W9FNB

Will a Mod please remove my earlier post...on the FT-450AT...edit button is gone?
Thanks
BJ

sorry,works been wide open and i havnt had time to decide on what i want since the radio mart guy is a crook im back to square one.im gonna do some more research before jumping in on anything.you guys saved me from getting royally screwed...i thank you and value your opinions.

440 is a great old rig but don't let anyone tell you the 430 won't compare, I haven't had any conditions or station I could not work to my complete satisfaction with it.

This is my first post here. This thread has a lot of good info in it as well. I have been a ham for a year now and my current radio is a TS-440sat. I purchased mine from one of my elmers. He bought it brand new in 1988 i believe. I love the radio but am aware of the problems that come with it. And I was told by my elmer of these probs when I bought it. Now it does not compare to the Tentec's or the K3 that my elmer's have but I get great reports with it. But I would not buy one of these off ebay or from anyone I don't know. Been there done that with a TS-820s already learned my lesson.

73 kj4unx

What was/is wrong with the TS-820S? It would make a nice sounding station if you get it on the air.I got a nice one a few years ago at the local ham flea market. All it needed was a slight adjustment of the trimmer capacitor in the speech processor to level the frequency response and a wire soldered back on the cable to the external VFO which also came with the radio.

Captain Kilowatt, It won't tx. It receives like a champ every bit as good as my ts-440s. Once I learned to dip the plates and all that jazz. The third time I called cq it just dead on the tx side. Still got voltage on the plates and tubes still glow. So I not real sure what is wrong but I would not mind getting back on the air. I like the looks of the older boat anchors.

73 kj4unx

Does it put out a carrier in CW mode? Is it possibly a microphone problem?

N0NB, I have no idea. I have never tried it in CW mode. I don't have a key or paddles to try that. Guess I could check with some of my Elmers an see if they might let me borrow one for a bit to check that out. Thanks that gives me something new to try.

kj4unx

Can't say bout the one in question, but all stock 440's do CW. And yes, it has a carrier, 100 watts worth. 5 Watts of that carrier is used when you punch the tuner button (if it has the built-in tuner).
- 'Doc

One thing some older Kenwoods would do is put out a carrier in CW mode when the mic PTT was pressed and no key was plugged into the key jack. I don't know if the '440 will do that or not. It might be worth a try.

If the radio has an RF power control, make sure it's not turned completely counter-clockwise.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.