• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Real CB Radios are side mic

The Johnson 4740 and the Johnson Viking 352 SSB radios are among my old school favorites. Their back side mic connection is a PIA with some mobile applications, but that detail never subtracted anything IMO from their overall quality build.
Yes indeed sunbulls! Quality built, reliable and made in Japan.
The only problem is they are hard to find (takes time and patience). I know because it took me years to find my UNIDEN GRANT XL (unmodified, with the box and original mike and cable) I also have several 148GTL's made in Taiwan and the Philippines. I have yet to buy something new, that's why I was wandering about the new Galaxy's. It's too bad that manufacturers went after profits which caused a decline in quality; I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't mind paying more for a quality and reliable product, which is what they used to make.

Yes indeed sunbulls! Quality built, reliable and made in Japan.
The only problem is they are hard to find (takes time and patience). I know because it took me years to find my UNIDEN GRANT XL (unmodified, with the box and original mike and cable) I also have several 148GTL's made in Taiwan and the Philippines. I have yet to buy something new, that's why I was wandering about the new Galaxy's. It's too bad that manufacturers went after profits which caused a decline in quality; I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't mind paying more for a quality and reliable product, which is what they used to make.
That uniden grant is one I wish I would have grabbed when they were available, been on the prowl for a couple years but nada yet.

But....... still ain't no side mic!

Reactions: Slowmover
That uniden grant is one I wish I would have grabbed when they were available, been on the prowl for a couple years but nada yet.

But....... still ain't no side mic!
Be patient Eldorado828 you never know when you are going to find one (sometimes when you least expect it; there it is). Craigslist, kijiji, garage sales, sometimes neighbors, you just never know.
The UNIDEN GRANT XL is a side-mic, but the UNIDEN GRANT LT is a front-mic version (both made in the Philippines; at least the ones I came across). If you were thinking of the LT front-mic there was one for sale in Ontario(Canada) and I can check if it is still available for you (it does have 70 extra channels).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.