• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Real CB Radios are side mic

It’s the Ham Radio noise solutions (and 7’ Skipshooters). Radio could be something else, but I long ago got tired of hearing about out-of-production radios . . .

My 100 or 200 will trump Toshibas or Motorola’s cause they ain’t got ears to match voice.

Stirring the pot, Thumper.

(See, no surprise you brought up other Galaxies. The full-automatics with spare mags versus this belt-fed version)

This cauldron stew is just getting started ole Mr. Gear Jammer. As far as hearing about out of production radios, I’ll never get tired of hearing the OLD OUT OF PRODUCTION sound of that M60/Huey combination arriving just in the nick of time. Those boys are welcome at my table any day or time of the week. At this point in time I wouldn’t have ears to hear much of anything…the voice however is strong as the day is long. I want you to hear me coming Slow cuz you sure as hell won’t see me as you mutter into your mic…”What the hell was that?” Then you’ll hear old Crawdad shout out that was the Prime Thumpah.

You really have been hitting the sauce hard talking smack about Toshiba’s and Motorola’s. I’ll take them and a Colt 1911 any day of the week

I think George Thorogood is calling your name.
Running my rig around ninety-five,
Rockin' and rollin' in overdrive
My heart's beating like a jackhammer,
It's the midnight ride for the gear jammer

Whatcha caint hear (bad ears on radio, not man) is, IMO, the dividing line in big truck mobile.

1K Watt foot warmers won’t cut the hash.

I don’t question your expertise or examples.

My little dog stuff makes a better mobile rig.

If you knew how many times I’ve called out to Billy Big Rig who’s pegging my meter, but can’t hear me the point would make itself. That’s with 50-100W.

Now I’m wondering how much juice I’ll “need” to get out as far as I can hear.

The deficiencies of the other mans radio rig is the guideline.

Reactions: Rwb
as big a fan of the 148/grants as i am, i must admit that the tiny meters make it a difficult radio to run mobile for a meter watcher like me.

The 959 gets points for having a sensitive receiver, big time TX audio when modded correctly, and a meter that you can actually see while driving.

it loses points for being noisy, hissy, and crappy adjacent channel rejection when compared to the 8719 chassis.

however i cannot comment on what it's like when using DSP.

receiver alignment in one of these is not just a straight forward "max all the coils" operation.

when done right, they work very well and can hear gnat sneezes.
when done wrong, they will wake you up every time you pass a gas station.

I suppose this is why my favorite radio for quite a few years was a cobra 148GTL with a 959 face on it. all done in blue of course since that was the rage back then.

as for the NPC, it really wakes one of these radios up, again, when done right.

if you don't have a scope, don't bother doing it. just crank the AMC pot up and be done with it. (kidding. don't do that)

for those that do want to try it, don't use a 100 ohm resistor. start with a 1K ohm trimmer.
adjust the modulation to 100% before doing the mod.
then solder in the diode and the trimmer temporarily.

now set the deadkey for 2 watts (don't bother with NPC if you want to run a 4 or 5 watt carrier).

now adjust that trimmer for nicely curved negative peaks with no flat lining.
(usually ends up around 390 ohms).

i always remove the trimmer, measure it, and replace it with a fixed value resistor of the same value, but that's because i have about 50 pounds of resistors at my disposal.

LC

You really have taken the whole “EARS” thing to another level, especially in a big rig. You’re probably closer than you think to matching transmit to receive capability. Can’t imagine you’re going to need more than 200-300 watts output. The issue is on the other end. They can’t work what they can’t hear. Depending on how deaf the other receiver is. I think you’re trying to remedy a situation that can’t be fixed. Upgrading your output isn’t going to fix someone else’s DEAF EARS.

The only way you could possibly know how much output power is needed would be to have another truck setup exactly like yours so you could determine how much output is needed. Billy Big Rig has output power but no ears which isn’t your problem. Then again because you’ve worked so hard to perfect your receiving capability maybe Billy Big Rig isn’t running all that much power.

You can question my expertise or examples any day friend.

On my base setup I can work anything I can hear and was the same way in my vehicle setup.

Reactions: Slowmover and Rwb
my 99v still ridin n a whoopin.its rode in a few fast rides,e9 500 hp mack v8 set up marine specs 750 hp in my old superliner 18 speed twisting bulldog 3:66 rears

You really have taken the whole “EARS” thing to another level, especially in a big rig. You’re probably closer than you think to matching transmit to receive capability. Can’t imagine you’re going to need more than 200-300 watts output. The issue is on the other end. They can’t work what they can’t hear. Depending on how deaf the other receiver is. I think you’re trying to remedy a situation that can’t be fixed. Upgrading your output isn’t going to fix someone else’s DEAF EARS.

The only way you could possibly know how much output power is needed would be to have another truck setup exactly like yours so you could determine how much output is needed. Billy Big Rig has output power but no ears which isn’t your problem. Then again because you’ve worked so hard to perfect your receiving capability maybe Billy Big Rig isn’t running all that much power.

You can question my expertise or examples any day friend.

On my base setup I can work anything I can hear and was the same way in my vehicle setup.

Folks will observe phenomena and comment on-air or not.

If they do, I want the maximized chance to hear it.

Give & Take on-air can be fleeting. Moments, not minutes. (Follow-up Qs).

“Ears” now set (physical antenna system), it’s to Voice on how much to run (KL-7405 versus KL-203). Not going to go bigger, I think. 50-150W OUGHT to do it, but I suspect 200W may be the better goal.

The All Around Best Big Truck Radio Rig?

As might be heard on-road and can be responded to given a decent attempt on his radio rig by the other guy. (A capture-ratio diameter circle in miles is the idea):

Hear, and Get Heard.

Last edited:
(A capture ratio diameter circle in miles is the idea).

You learn fast.

You can have all the power and performance in the world...

Does you no good if you can't put it together right so you can hear.

We've been on this journey with you, it's good, (we're VERY glad really) to see you enjoying your efforts for once versus the drudgery of having to put in all the effort, trial & error and try again, in the learning curve - you've taught us all a thing or two along the way.

Thank you.

The thing about the frequency counter mentioned on page one, not enough digits, I tend to agree with this but… as long as you tune them in does it really matter? I mean, is there a valid argument for having another 2 digits? Just asking.

I suppose this is why my favorite radio for quite a few years was a cobra 148GTL with a 959 face on it. all done in blue of course since that was the rage back then.

LC

You have my attention…. go on… continue…

Reactions: Slowmover and Rwb
You learn fast.

You can have all the power and performance in the world...

Does you no good if you can't put it together right so you can hear.

We've been on this journey with you, it's good, (we're VERY glad really) to see you enjoying your efforts for once versus the drudgery of having to put in all the effort, trial & error and try again, in the learning curve - you've taught us all a thing or two along the way.

Thank you.

No, sir, while you’re quite welcome, Thank you!!

It wouldn’t have been so long ago my opinion of CB would mirror many. Only I was acutely aware of performance deficiencies versus the rabble-rousing on-air. What would be the point?

DSP Radio Audio Filter + plus 3-point (3-ends) coax filtration on a cophase harness allows the radio to work to its potential is an easy way to put it. Truck antennas at least five feet in length, and as close to 14’ height as possible.

Those items (speaker & filters) added $400 to rig cost.

But unlike Super WhackPacked radios, here, the combined systems can accept any radio chosen. And is likely overall better in any event.

There’s an enormous number of guys want better. Just don’t know how to get there. As truck drivers can’t afford to throw money away.

Focus on the radio isn’t productive (why this tongue in cheek, pot stirring thread got started) when one understands that hearing trumps speaking.

Now I’m in a radio environment FAR different than what I’d imagined.

It’s difficult to explain how pleasurable listening to CB has become short of the analogy of a scratchy 78 phonograph record versus a re-mastered sound file of the same artist.

Depth. To each speaker including the aggravating ones changes one’s perspective.

Reactions: Handy Andy and Rwb
as big a fan of the 148/grants as i am, i must admit that the tiny meters make it a difficult radio to run mobile for a meter watcher like me.

The 959 gets points for having a sensitive receiver, big time TX audio when modded correctly, and a meter that you can actually see while driving.

it loses points for being noisy, hissy, and crappy adjacent channel rejection when compared to the 8719 chassis.

however i cannot comment on what it's like when using DSP.

receiver alignment in one of these is not just a straight forward "max all the coils" operation.

when done right, they work very well and can hear gnat sneezes.
when done wrong, they will wake you up every time you pass a gas station.

as for the NPC, it really wakes one of these radios up, again, when done right.

if you don't have a scope, don't bother doing it. just crank the AMC pot up and be done with it. (kidding. don't do that)

for those that do want to try it, don't use a 100 ohm resistor. start with a 1K ohm trimmer.
adjust the modulation to 100% before doing the mod.
then solder in the diode and the trimmer temporarily.

now set the deadkey for 2 watts (don't bother with NPC if you want to run a 4 or 5 watt carrier).

now adjust that trimmer for nicely curved negative peaks with no flat lining.
(usually ends up around 390 ohms).

i always remove the trimmer, measure it, and replace it with a fixed value resistor of the same value, but that's because i have about 50 pounds of resistors at my disposal.

LC

Thx for the radio-specific insights. Got mine at Larry’s CB and he mentioned, that, awhile back the 959 was needing time on the bench to perform well. Not now, as they are close to “right” straight out of the box.

I picked a NIB RK-56 off the shelf to go with the 959 and also purchased a KL-203p. He connected all units on the bench after checking radio, and experimented with all settings to be certain things were as they should be.

We didn’t discuss any mods. As a retailer he can’t afford comebacks, so Less is Best (is my assumption). He’s had the shop 20+ years. (You’ll quite a few local drivers at that quadrant of the metro area with nice radio rigs; guess where they got them).

I’ve mainly been traveling in the dark, and in rural areas. Ideal conditions given high traffic volume. It’s near astonishing (to me) to have a radio this quiet (I also haven’t plugged in anything else to compare). Radio as “radio”, then.

Yesterday trying to get out of metro DC/Baltimore the ambient noise level had gotten high. Not much to hear, anyway.

Radio volume & speaker adjustments didn’t yield much change, but backing off RF Gain or increasing Squelch didn’t either. There wasn’t anything hiding in the bushes.

The GNF feature looks good as of today to experiment with cutting the higher-pitched stuff on AM (even if an SSB feature).

The High-Medium-Low Filter against NB/ANL .Is another

I’ve been listening to a V4 Lincoln the past few months, so my ears are adjusting, too. If the 959b is noisy, hissy and has low adjacent channel rejection, that isn’t yet apparent. The WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEECH DSP SPEAKER is a game-changer.

The (3) PALOMAR ENGINEER Coax Filters are the newest addition. Still have the MORGAN Bandpass Filter to add back in.

I haven’t owned the competition from the dark ages (Ha!) which may have had these noise quality filters, but am pleased to see I can modify “sound” of transmission in order to keep radio turned up with less grating on nerves. Will have to get more time in familiar D/FW for a feel about performance in a noisy environment.

NPC-RC looks intriguing . . just not this week.

PS: As I’ve been writing this I’ve had a driver keep up chatter for nearly 20-minutes. Have to figure he’s at 65-MPH plus. Never weak, just got stronger then less-strong in approaching and continuing past this rest area (in hills).

Longer time in approaching, went away sooner after he passed.

Last edited:
You know as a trucker, my all time favorite side mic radio in a truck was the Galaxy 33hml. The old toshiba audio ic, single 2sc1969 final and man that radio would just get out and reach somebody and had excellent ears. Only my own opinion I know but sure got a lot of flowers with it. I had traded it in for the latest and greatest as we all do but I always remember that Galaxy.

Trucking all together was just different back then and maybe the combined memories of both truck life then and that Galaxy is why I go back to that. Trucking today is really pussified

Just saying

You know as a trucker, my all time favorite side mic radio in a truck was the Galaxy 33hml. The old toshiba audio ic, single 2sc1969 final and man that radio would just get out and reach somebody and had excellent ears. Only my own opinion I know but sure got a lot of flowers with it. I had traded it in for the latest and greatest as we all do but I always remember that Galaxy.

Trucking all together was just different back then and maybe the combined memories of both truck life then and that Galaxy is why I go back to that. Trucking today is really pussified

Just saying

Guys aren’t “involved”. It’s on purpose with TECH SAFETY (truck is on a leash). You’re not really allowed to drive it.

“On purpose” as it hobbles those who are (or would be) skilled at the wheel. Brings them down to “stupid guy” status.

Disc brakes are GREAT! And I’ll NEVER again want a trailer without ABS (jackknife propensity almost disappeared). But to hell with all the rest of it.

I still have the radios that have meant the most to me. Never were very many of them (I might have owned two radios most years).

I missed out on some nice ones, granted.

Galaxy DX-959b really does occupy that place.

Before lights out I listened to drivers both ten miles east & ten miles west of me just after sundown from the old Rip Griffin at Terrell, TX (now a T/A). A wreck in one direction (thus mile markers discussed), and the IH-20 & US-80 split (old IH-20) in the other.

Classic overall quiet evening on edge of a major metro. Trucker lullaby.

Last edited:
Three (3) PALOMAR ENGINEER Coax Filters on the cophase harness (with 7’ antennas) ought to make any radio better (especially if it has DSP).

Glad y’all enjoyed having fun with “best”. Not quite, but close to a trick question as SIDE MIC RADIO was meant to be a ruse.

I’ve had it a week, and — once I get the right mic married to it — I can see it’ll be close to the way I feel about running my first “big radio”, a Galaxy 99v2.

So I’ll amend my preference to LARGE CASE GALAXY.

Go big or go home.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.