• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Real CB Radios are side mic

You know as a trucker, my all time favorite side mic radio in a truck was the Galaxy 33hml. The old toshiba audio ic, single 2sc1969 final and man that radio would just get out and reach somebody and had excellent ears. Only my own opinion I know but sure got a lot of flowers with it. I had traded it in for the latest and greatest as we all do but I always remember that Galaxy.

Trucking all together was just different back then and maybe the combined memories of both truck life then and that Galaxy is why I go back to that. Trucking today is really pussified

Just saying
my trusty 99V sets beside my 2 meter radios still working.i installed those uniden pos ssb radios in the 2 t 600s we got n a ratshack dsp in the pete.ol galaxy desrves to set in the house n stop shakin about. those bearcats never measure up to galaxy

You're in the Cab! You're already there!

Next time get a Lay-Z-Boy for that Drivers seat and settle down and enjoy that radio for once!

I’m pretty close to “done”.

— Bought more 6-AWG yesterday at West Marine to run KL-7405 with proper amp & volt performance. (Remove lower panel to access BATT box).

—Better coax jumpers from HRO. (Radio & Filter to Amp; from exterior filters to antenna stud). Split loom for mirror arm ground.

— Re-run coax: get excess looped outside cab to live under decorative panel.

— Get out second radio and do a mic audio quality test among three contenders.

— Use PEP meter & dummy load just purchased and finish antenna tuning.

In short, finish the “environment” in which the radio operates.

Make the real CB Radio a happy camper. (The light at the end of the tunnel has brightened).

IOW, having done what I can (RF Body Bonds & Static Straps & Graphite Grease & 5th Wheel Bond wait till next truck) my experience this past week of radio listening has been unequalled.

Calling it PLEASURABLE doesn’t do the subject adequate justice.

To all readers: what’s it like to hear voices as you walk up a hallway, turn the corner and can connect those with faces? As THIS is that in action with the “quiet” of the Radio System improved. Vocal Expressiveness has details no longer lost.

Liars, or truthtellers?
Jokers, or jerks?
The expressive voice quality is telling.

Remove the buzz & hiss from which words just barely surface.

(Hard enough with some truckers and too much echo, etc. This is where DSP kicks tail).

The PRESIDENT Lincoln being replaced — where all voices were at the same apparent distance — by a traditional CB where vocal fade & meter reading gives an idea of relative distance — was the “better” radio. Superior. But not for big truck mobile making decisions on the fly.

Gimme side mic

Last edited:
Now that’s funny

If it wasn’t going to hit 100F again, it’d been done already.

I know where you’re coming from and share the laugh.

Started that 579 thread in early ‘19 or ‘20. The t680 install is a continuation. Two-three years, IOW.

As this truck is a mock-up for the next tractor, I’m making the mistakes now.

Later today I’ll have it buttoned up. Tuning will come when I’m in a less electrically noisy location.

So, as to gear, supply & tools, I’m already done.

As to the last of the physical install, a few more hours.

This t680 will be finished.:

7’ Skipshooters on aftermarket mounts.

Aftermarket cophase coax with filters at the three ends

RM Italy KL-7405 (first time used)

Galaxy 959b

(And one of several mics)

Last edited:
Those are necessities, must haves for anyone more than the average mic keyer.

NOT FOR BILLY BIG RIG!!

They’re gonna let me out of 5th grade this time.

F82802AD-7141-4672-A4B0-4D37CCC69D3F.jpeg

Power will run up the gap under weather seal (enlarge to see where loosened) to just above door frame to join coax already routed and enter overhead console and run to center.

“Old” red 8-AWG to fuse center visible at upper left. To be removed.

Thankfully, passenger side is coax only. Parked as shown to work in “shade” this morning. Other side is already baked.

Last edited:
The moment I think you're going to kick back and chat, then I see this...

upload_2021-8-20_16-17-22.png
Man! Quit Breaking my heart...
Thought you were done.
Well this proves the point about CB.

Doesn't just mean Citizens Band, you can add Constantly Buying and Constantly Building to that list...:)

No, something tells me you're not done! Ever!

The moment I think you're going to kick back and chat, then I see this...
View attachment 46567
Man! Quit Breaking my heart...
Thought you were done.
Well this proves the point about CB.

Doesn't just mean Citizens Band, you can add Constantly Buying and Constantly Building to that list...:)

No, something tells me you're not done! Ever!

The problem of going down the highway is:

the problems of going down the highway.

Too numerous to list. Not what someone in their bubble encounters often enough (metro or regional area regular runs; is habituated to conditions encountered). Big deal (to me) to catch the far distant trouble earliest.

Besides, while the install “worked”, it was sloppy. Unfinished. Temporary.

Now it’ll have the semblance of permanency where I’m not concerned about it’s condition. Will be weathertight. No connections coming loose. No changes from side-to-side; etc. No wondering if I’m hearing a rig problem or something in the environment.

And, mo’ powah.

10-12/hrs daily 6-days per week. A quality radio rig is directly related to time management as one is trapped by the HOS clock. What’s lost today can’t be made up tomorrow.

I’ve recounted some of the now-regular instances where I’ve chosen to divert around road problems while others lose time — momentum — sitting in stalled traffic. Morale is real, so even if no “time savings”, ones attitude doesn’t sour.

Parsing and solving road problems with other good radio rig operators is a calling. Being of service to those with poor ones is a duty. Seeing a few miles of an unknown area on an alternate route is a pleasure.

Assuming there’s a new truck on the horizon — and it’s a brand/model I’ve done before — THAT install will go quickly.

Side Mic 959b added as something I hadn’t had before. (Single final DX-979 ain’t the same).

Will I be “finished”? I think the next month or so will prove that out as to amp/radio/mic choices.

— Need a speaker L-pad between radio & DSP unit.

— Need a couple of radios fixed, a couple of mics modded and/or fixed.

— Do up a transport case for final selection. And complete backup gear in another case (call it a mirror image). Stow the 5’ Skipshooters, etc. Replace any part of system.

— Take supply & tools (radio-specific) out of the truck.

Then, I’m “done”.

I’ve radios, amps & mics I can swap as desired, now. A half-dozen of each.

The rest will be GTG.

Last edited:
The problem of going down the highway is:

the problems of going down the highway.

Too numerous to list. Not what someone in their bubble encounters often enough (metro or regional area regular runs; is habituated to conditions encountered). Big deal (to me) to catch the far distant trouble earliest.

Besides, while the install “worked”, it was sloppy. Unfinished. Temporary.

Now it’ll have the semblance of permanency where I’m not concerned about it’s condition. Will be weathertight. No connections coming loose. No changes from side-to-side; etc. No wondering if I’m hearing a rig problem or something in the environment.

And, mo’ powah.

Whoa I heard that “And, mo’ powah.”

So the initial install was sloppy, unfinished, Temporary. Yes I caught your initial comments that this was a test run before you get the new truck. Hell most of us were thinking “damn that’s nice work.” Meanwhile you’re thinking this looks like crap!

You’re showing good attention to detail sir. I’m sure they’re be some tweaking along the way. Again nice work Slowmover and glad you got those two key pieces of equipment…drop by my place when you want to use the RigExpert, NanoVNA V2 Plus 4 or Telepost meters or need some connections flood soldered…I work for free for friends.

Brad
KE0XS
South of Pittsbugh

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?