• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Real CB Radios are side mic

Adding to the side mic action and although not ssb capable it was available so I said I'll take it. With things drying up beggars can't be choosers. To my surprise it arrived and has a build date of January 2008 being born in Malaysia. Brand new and still sealed.

Crazy to know this has been in some warehouse stashed away that long.

Attachments

• 20210927_164249.jpg
    20210927_164249.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210927_200542.jpg
    20210927_200542.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Adding to the side mic action and although not ssb capable it was available so I said I'll take it. With things drying up beggars can't be choosers. To my surprise it arrived and has a build date of January 2008 being born in Malaysia. Brand new and still sealed.

Crazy to know this has been in some warehouse stashed away that long.
I agree, I also favor SSB radios, however, like you said, during these times you can’t be too picky!
Good for you! I am also grabbing whatever I can before it’s too late. What can I say about the side mic? THE BEST THERE IS.

No he's not kidding...

We have theories, but...best to ask the expert...

And if you can - read thru this ENTIRE thread of 290+ posts and maybe you'll see the "Why" Side Mic's are a favorite...

I can possibly provide a clue...

Marvin the Martian was threatening to blow up Earth using his new U-238 Space Modulator...

Bugs Bunny, innocuously made a scientific experiment for the Space Program was sent to the Moon to investigate...

Bugs uncovered the plot and destroyed Marvin the Martians evil plan ... but something got lost in the transmission...or maybe just a lot of Collateral damage
upload_2021-9-30_22-45-41.png

Note, Bugs only means to communicate was thru a simple Walkie-Talkie radio...

Everyone thought he wanted to get out of here...

But recently released files from a secret Vault were recently released revealing the true dialog that even You Tube was able to correctly decipher...it was not to get out of here, he wanted to get more out of it - referring to the quality of the radio Bugs Bunny was left to use...

What he really wanted...
upload_2021-9-30_22-34-14.png

Last edited:
F627DAD7-58DE-47FB-83AA-70243D524467.jpeg

Hogged out the hole for the stud in the Pro-Comm T680 mounts so as to fit some beehives. Used a carbide cutter (alternated with a 9/16 drill bit) in a Wally World rechargeable drill that luckily had enough juice to do both sides.

Maybe
these studs have little more flex to accommodate the new 7’ Skipshooters I picked up a few weeks back. (They are top heavy; takes two hands to screw them in unlike the shorter lengths; they’ll sway if you look at them hard enough).

The previous 7’ set must have had 40-60k on them used on three different trucks beginning in 2018. One of them recently broke off at the ferrule.

Always amazed me that they didn’t break while running the Llano Estacado (130-mph headwinds some days; steady 40-mph crosswinds others). Some of us used 1.5’ sections of PVC pipe to help cut the rotational whip.

Also bought a pair of 6’ plus the beehives at a Florida Skipshooter dealer near Jacksonville that served interim until now. A good backup pair stowed away.

The sensitivity I’ve come to expect is now back. The 6’ are fine, but the octane rating was too low to run a side mic 959. The 7’ get just far enough above the trailer to make a difference. (Men make comparisons — rightfully — of the 7’ Skipshooter against a 102” whip). .

Moved the antenna feedpoint chokes up closer, and swapped back to a KL-203 for a cleaner cab. (Can be seen atop radio).

The other amps are physically too big, overall. I couldn’t detect enough of a performance difference that made them worth the hassle plus another 7’ of coax, etc. (Removed three of four coax jumpers and replaced with adapters on shortened lines).

Still need more RF Bond work. Doors, cab corners, etc. (Maybe next trip outbound).

Closer to Eldorado828 cab appearance standard as shown in pic, now.

21233611-C497-4064-9DE2-F95AAB4A08D0.jpeg

Sitting at the famous LEE HI (T/A chain) in Lexington, VA, not far from both Interstates 64 & 81. Listening now to locals & regionals greeting each other as their day winds down (or their week has gotten underway).

I’m back to doing air checks at a significant distance. Easily.

On into District of Columbia traffic tomorrow in the fog. I know y’all are jealous of not making that run!

Last edited:
Okay so here’s a couple very little know facts. The FBI recently revealed in declassified documents that Jimmy Hofa was killed because he wouldn’t put a side mic radio in his car. If that doesn’t surprise you when they opened Al Capone’s vault they didn’t find money or documents but a stash of side mic radios. Further more Indiana Jones wasn’t looking for the Ark of the Covenant he was searching for a mysterious side mic radio….and now you know the rest of the story.

Okay so here’s a couple very little know facts. The FBI recently revealed in declassified documents that Jimmy Hofa was killed because he wouldn’t put a side mic radio in his car. If that doesn’t surprise you when they opened Al Capone’s vault they didn’t find money or documents but a stash of side mic radios. Further more Indiana Jones wasn’t looking for the Ark of the Covenant he was searching for a mysterious side mic radio….and now you know the rest of the story.

Dozens of JFK assassination witnesses died unlikely, mysterious deaths over the next few years.

Some few of the survivors were running side mic gear.

Last edited:
Mic Comparison

Had the GALAXY 99v2 along just to do a comparison test between three brand new microphones purchased in the past two months. (Takes a Galaxy to test a Galaxy).

1). RoadKing RK-56
2). Astatic 636L
3). Stryker SR65

Can’t go wrong with any of them.

I’m staying with the Astatic (as I do with the 99v2) as the “clarity” is a tiny bit better with my voice than with the RK56 or SR65 whether across a speaker or headphones.

One would be happy with any of these mics.

Edit: once I got back on the air I was getting requests right & left to dial in other men’s radio combinations. The better your radio rig you’ll find that men will key up in response to hearing it (not just to what you’ve said, necessarily).

With a side mic, TX & RX audio is all high fidelity.

Last edited:
awsome setup.. any performance difference between the 6 and 7 foot skipshooter....and with the mikes i would,ve liked to seen a ranger 198 in the mix

I bought a half-dozen a few years back for a great price. I’ve been proud to give them as gifts to friends still using a not-great stock mic. But they’re a bit muffled-sounding for my voice compared to the ones above.

My preference is for “brightness” due to vocal pitch. A guy with a higher-pitched voice would sound better than me with the SRA-198.

That said, I wouldn’t be unhappy to be using one today and I kept one for that reason. Just didn’t think to bring it along.

Side Mic: where all radio gear acts better.

Last edited:
You know, I thought I was nuts but you fellas are nuts. Your imaginations crack me up but come to think of it maybe it's because I'm nuts too hahaha

Like you, it means a lot to me to be easily heard and understood while going down the road.

The crazy part is
understanding that The Road is always in motion, kinda nuts. So a little rubs off in the thinking and the doing of radio rig installation & operation.

Who knows what’s gonna come out?

Never surprised yourself with what you’ve just said, right?

Side Mic for planetary recognizance.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated